Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:58:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Stay in school or go pro?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Stay in school or go pro?  (Read 7605 times)
Landshark
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »

I didn't want to hijack the Teddy Bridgewater thread but I think it raises an interesting topic of discussion.  Lets assume you're a college football star. You've just completed your third year in college and are eligible to go pro.  You are guaranteed to be a top five selection (and the lucrative contract that comes with it). What do you do?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »

I think it really depends on your other financial options.  If you're from the hood, have lived through poverty, and have no other prospects, you go and get paid now.  You owe it to yourself, your kids, your grandkids, and the parents that did their best to raise you.  It's just too much of a financial risk.

If you can fall back on a cushy job at Dad's oil company, maybe you stay in school.

Super-duper props to those athletes that leave early to get the money, but end up going back to school later to finish their degrees.

I drink your milkshake!
Landshark
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:50:15 pm »

Super-duper props to those athletes that leave early to get the money, but end up going back to school later to finish their degrees.

This is my answer. I would go pro and take the money. Even if I'm a Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf, I'm guaranteed to walk away with at least $15 million in my pocket (before taxes).  With that kind of money I can always go back to school later and finish.
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:49:04 pm »

The entire point of going to college is to increase your earning potential. You aren't going to increase it above an NFL "star" salary with any undergrad. There isn't even a choice to be made, IMO. -EK
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 12:31:28 am »

I still maintain that if you're projected to be selected for the NFL then you take the money and be smart with it. You can always get your degree later.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 01:02:55 am »

Agree with the general sentiment above... Getting an NFL contract is most likely the biggest money you are ever going to make in your life. If you can come out early and maximize the amount of time you can earn that NFL paycheck, it would be silly not to do so. You can finish your degree during the offseason or after your playing days are over.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 09:25:08 am »

Brad Culpepper is a great example. He played in the NFL for years. He had his undergrad degree, but went to law school after his career was over. Now he is part of arguably the best known law firm in Tampa.
el diablo
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 09:37:10 am »

I look at it like, you can only go down by staying in school. Your projections are based on those coming out at the same time. You never know who can or will have a monster college year the following year. So I would come out, if I was projected to go in the 1st rd without much thought. Layer rounds would require some consideration.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »

Brad Culpepper is a great example. He played in the NFL for years. He had his undergrad degree, but went to law school after his career was over. Now he is part of arguably the best known law firm in Tampa.

Actually he is a terrible example. You are using a guy who graduated early and stayed to play his senior year while in grad school and then went on to play several years in the NFL as a good example of why someone else should come out early?

Let's be honest here. The rookie salary is different now than it was years ago. Unless you are guaranteed as an early pick there isn't much benefit in coming out early. Most of these guys over value their skills and are not going to be a top pick (there are only so many spots to go around). Anyone who isn't going round 1 needs to stay in school. They are not going to make enough to be set for life (see how many players go broke) so why take the schooling out of your life? It will be much easier to finish school while on a scholarship rather than when they have lost eligibility and will have to pay for it on their own.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 05:29:35 pm »

Actually he is a terrible example. You are using a guy who graduated early and stayed to play his senior year while in grad school and then went on to play several years in the NFL as a good example of why someone else should come out early?

Let's be honest here. The rookie salary is different now than it was years ago. Unless you are guaranteed as an early pick there isn't much benefit in coming out early. Most of these guys over value their skills and are not going to be a top pick (there are only so many spots to go around). Anyone who isn't going round 1 needs to stay in school. They are not going to make enough to be set for life (see how many players go broke) so why take the schooling out of your life? It will be much easier to finish school while on a scholarship rather than when they have lost eligibility and will have to pay for it on their own.

The base MINIMUM salary for a rookie is $420,000 per year. Even if a player is gone after one season, they can go back to school, finish up their degree and try to get a job in their field.  $420k trumps 1 or 2 years of scholarship even if your paying out of pocket.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »

It will be much easier to finish school while on a scholarship rather than when they have lost eligibility and will have to pay for it on their own.
How so?  When he's on scholarship, he cannot have any endorsement deals or make any income that the NCAA deems "inappropriate."  After his career is over, even if he wants to finish his degree, he can have a decent income while he's doing it.

And let's not ignore that fact that for many of these top-tier players that are getting degrees in communications, their name is far more important than the letters after them.  There's an awful lot of sports commentators and analysts that either didn't finish their degree or have a degree in a completely different field.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 10:09:42 am »

The base MINIMUM salary for a rookie is $420,000 per year. Even if a player is gone after one season, they can go back to school, finish up their degree and try to get a job in their field.  $420k trumps 1 or 2 years of scholarship even if your paying out of pocket.

Subtract taxes, agent fees, and Richie Incognito stealing your lunch money and there isn't much left after one or two years.  However, if you stay in school gain some maturity, and improve your skills; you may be more likely to last longer than two years in the NFL.  Overall, I think it comes down to that great unknown of when will you get injured, and how bad.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 10:19:08 am »

And you actually believe they are going back? Good for you, but it ain't happening.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 10:20:14 am »

How so?  When he's on scholarship, he cannot have any endorsement deals or make any income that the NCAA deems "inappropriate."  After his career is over, even if he wants to finish his degree, he can have a decent income while he's doing it.

And let's not ignore that fact that for many of these top-tier players that are getting degrees in communications, their name is far more important than the letters after them.  There's an awful lot of sports commentators and analysts that either didn't finish their degree or have a degree in a completely different field.

And a guy who isn't a top pick isn't going to get any endorsement deals anyway so that really isn't a factor. Banking on a broadcasting career is also about as reliable as banking on a pro sports career. There are a lot of people interested for a limited number of spots and people don't retire very often.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:27:28 am by Phishfan » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 10:36:57 am »

And you actually believe they are going back? Good for you, but it ain't happening.
This is a very week argument.  The whole base of your statement is said hypothetical athlete too lazy not go back to school to finish their degree and will blow through hundreds of thousands of dollars.

And lets be real, almost every player that comes out early is going to get taken in the first couple of rounds, otherwise there is no reason for them to come out early, baring a disciplinary incident.  So these guys are going to be millionaires, even if the rookie wage scale is less than it was.

If they lose all of their money, then that's on them, but taking the money is the right call.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:39:43 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray