Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:30:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Thursday Night Games being sold to another network
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Thursday Night Games being sold to another network  (Read 3498 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:45 pm »

If it's NFL, it's worth watching to me, even if it is 2-12 Cleveland vs 3-11 Jacksonville or another unsavory match-up.

Come on, if I can spend hours watching guys in spandex who will "probably" end up in the NFL run and jump through hoops at the scouting combine, then I'll watch any regular season NFL game on general principle.

It's the National Football League, the highest level of the greatest game on Earth. If it's being broadcast, it's getting watched.

As Dave said there are typically (6) games per week that you can watch.  So if you watch all the games that's 18 hours (6 games X 3 hrs per game), plus a minimum of two hours for pre-game, post-game, & time overruns; so lets say 20 hours per week on NFL.

There are 168 hours in the week, less 56 hrs for sleep (8 hrs per night), less 40 hrs for work (if you have a job), less a minimum of 35 hrs per week for eating, commuting, chores, etc (5 hrs per day), that leaves only 37 hours for relaxation and free time (at the most).

Personally, I don't want to spend over half of my free time watching just NFL football.  Granted there may be a couple weeks of the year where I do that, but usually not.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 12:57:53 pm »

Sure...but nobody is making you watch.  So, either the game is on Sunday where you don't get to see it anyway.  Or it's on Thursday where you can watch if you want.

What it sounds like to me is that some people would rather not have the option to watch it at all, so that they don't feel like they have to.  Is that kinda accurate?

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

As Dave said there are typically (6) games per week that you can watch.  So if you watch all the games that's 18 hours (6 games X 3 hrs per game), plus a minimum of two hours for pre-game, post-game, & time overruns; so lets say 20 hours per week on NFL.

There are 168 hours in the week, less 56 hrs for sleep (8 hrs per night), less 40 hrs for work (if you have a job), less a minimum of 35 hrs per week for eating, commuting, chores, etc (5 hrs per day), that leaves only 37 hours for relaxation and free time (at the most).

Personally, I don't want to spend over half of my free time watching just NFL football.  Granted there may be a couple weeks of the year where I do that, but usually not.

As has been noted in other threads, I sleep approximately 4 hours per night (used to sleep even less), and I work as a freelance writer, and average about 6 hours per day, 5 days a week. I also don't do a lot of the pregame crap, because most of it is just that...crap. I watch quite a bit of football, but the percentage of time is significantly less than your example.

When you add in the NFL Network replay games (quick time), I probably do watch around 6-7 games per week during the season.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 01:05:55 pm »

I watch one full game each week: Dolphins.
I also watch redzone for the remainder of the 4PM games.
I sometimes watch Sunday Night, Thursday, or Monday, depending on: Who is playing, whether the Dolphins have been winning and I'm excited about football at the time, and fantasy implications.

I'd say I watch about 3 games a week.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 03:20:42 pm »

The NFL is slowly going towards the model the NCAA tournament did a couple years back. Where now every NCAA Tournament game is on nationally on some station or another. In a few years I could see the NFL having every game be on nationally through a variety of networks. So if CBS owns the AFC Package at 1pm the main AFC game is on CBS, the secondary game is on TruTv, the 3rd AFC game is on MTV, a 4th game on VH1....so on and so forth, so all the CBS owned stations in their family will air a game. So at 1pm you can flip from CBS owned station to CBS owned station and watch any game you want.

It kills the Sunday Ticket but the money the league can charge a Network to do this would be through the mother-f'n roof and make up for all lost DirecTV money.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray