Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 03:50:21 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  NHL Game in Dodger Stadium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NHL Game in Dodger Stadium  (Read 3962 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: January 24, 2014, 06:11:06 pm »

So I'm reading the newspaper today and I see the Kings are playing the Ducks this Saturday, outside, in Dodger Stadium.  Expected temperature to be in the mid 70's.  Am I missing something???
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:28:08 pm »

Dumbest idea ever.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 12:17:33 am »

So I'm reading the newspaper today and I see the Kings are playing the Ducks this Saturday, outside, in Dodger Stadium.  Expected temperature to be in the mid 70's.  Am I missing something???

One step closer to the inevitable...Professional Beach Hockey. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:22:14 pm »

Cowherd was mentioning that they're playing a hockey game outside in Southern California and a Super Bowl in a blizzard.

I drink your milkshake!
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »

The Rangers/Devils game today had atrocious ice conditions. It clearly affected the game due to some sun glare melting the ice. So, I have no idea what the Kings will be doing tonight about their melting ice.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 10:29:34 am »

The place was sold out, the overnight TV rating were pretty good and the ice held up really well.

Why was this a bad idea?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:29 am »

The place was sold out, the overnight TV rating were pretty good and the ice held up really well.

Why was this a bad idea?
Change is bad!!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:37 am »

Why was this a bad idea?

I did not watch the game. Did the ice really hold up that well? I was not expecting it to. Players complain about the ice in warm weather locations while it is still indoors. If they were able to keep a good surface then I was wrong.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 06:21:50 pm »

It seems that seeing that game in person would be horrendous.  Aren't the seats incredibly far away?  How would you even follow the puck?   

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 01:25:48 pm »

My buddy was there, flew in from Maine.  He also went to the game at the big house.  He is an "event" guy, the type of guy who likes to say "I was there."  He said you couldn't follow it very well at either venue. 

I've attended hockey games at Fenway (NHL and college).  It isn't AWFUL there, but it's not bad.  It's the event of it, more than the game. 

55,000 for an NHL game shows there is interest in these occasional stadium games.  Right?  Anything to grow the sport.

Here is a good recap of the game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ducks-dominate-dodger-stadium-shut-kings-nhl-outdoor-060150255--nhl.html

-Voltaire
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:08:43 pm »

I think that the concept of outdoor hockey in big places is cool.  But it just doesn't appear that there are places where you can good seating to accommodate.

I drink your milkshake!
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »

To be honest, I think the seating at Dodger Stadium sucks for baseball. 

This isn't something (I hope) they will do on a regular basis for each team.  Each season will have a "stadium series" which spotlights a handful of cities / teams.  Those handful of games will do really well.  There IS something really cool (no pun intended) about watching hockey outside.  Very Mystery, Alaska.

-Voltaire
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 12:50:59 pm »

I'm curious as to why they are not setting up some temporary seating. I watched the Rangers/Isles game and I just cannot imagine how poor the view really is.

After thinking about it, they are selling way too many tickets to use temporary seating alont and their use would liely block the view of the permanent seats.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:01:41 pm by Phishfan » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 09:58:30 pm »

I think these games are awesome and one of the few things the NHL does right. That being said, the conditions are almost always crap, but crap for both teams, so it's fair.

Try outdoor games in the NBA and watch everyone's knees turn into Derek Rose.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 11:34:20 am »

NBA players have complained loudly about wind when the NBA has played outdoor preseason games.

From their perspective, wind turns basketball into random heaves at the basket with a prayer that it might go in.  Given the kind of accuracy (uncontested) NBA players are used to, I can't blame them.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray