Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 10:22:43 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Super Bowl Weather Chaos
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Super Bowl Weather Chaos  (Read 12812 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: January 26, 2014, 08:20:04 am »

Will be the story of the week nationally. The weather is supposed to be bad early in the week for all the "events" in the lead up to the game. Bitter bitter cold with some snow/freezing rain. Still too early to tell what it will be like at gameday, early projections aren't great though. But better weather than what they will see early in the week. But moving the game off Sunday or to early afternoon Sunday might happen just for public safety in general.

NFL is prepared to move the game to Friday, Saturday, or earlier in the day Sunday (they have a Monday plan but don't want to do that per Eric Grubman). Come around Thursday (give or take) that decision will be made. Moving the game to Saturday at 6:30pm is a very very real possibility, that is their top choice NFL Exec Grubman said the other day and he is the guy who makes this call. Friday they could do but would rather not according to Grubman. The NFL has stated it only needs 36 hours lead time to move the game. And moving the game to 2pm or so Sunday might also work if they see a weather pattern that will be bad Sunday evening and effect travel after the game or people freezing in the stans with really low tempatures. In fact Eric Grubman on WFAN this week said with the info he had at the moment (of course its weather it will change over the week) he would be very surprised if the game is played Sunday at 6:30pm. But if he had to make a call that day he was moving the game but weather changes so it will play out.

What we also know is that this will probably be the only "cold weather super bowl." Not a lot of fan interest and this weather chaos is making it a huge headache for the league.  The game is sold out obviously but its going to be a heavy Denver crowd. All of the tickets/hotel packages from Denver to NYC sold out within a day. Fans in Colorado bought them up quickly. Seattle has had trouble selling their alloted packages, zero interest from Seattle. Not a lot of Seattle people willing to make the trip. So those extra packages will end up in the hands of Denver people probably. And the seondary ticket market (ie broakers, stub hub...etc) aren't moving tickets at all. Insiders have termed it a "dead ticket." Shocking people don't want to pay big money to sit outside for 6 hours in the freezing cold.

If the NFL moves the game it will create chaos. No other sporting events run opposite the Super Bowl. And if the game is moved to Saturday Night the league has a mess because you have NHL, NBA, College basketball all with games at the same time and they have said they aren't canceling games. MSG has a Rangers game I believe in NYC going on that night. The TV rating might not be good beause sports fans around the country will be at other events they have already paid for.

This is going to be a very interesting week

Landshark
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:24:34 am »

This game should've never happened. The NFL is gonna pay dearly for making this decision
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:17 am »

This game should've never happened. The NFL is gonna pay dearly for making this decision

pay dearly how? You gonna put a "hit" on the people in charge of the NFL? Talk about over-dramatic I mean seriously Landshark.

It will stll be the most watched thing in the country this year and the league will still make billions on this game.
Landshark
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 08:51:06 am »

pay dearly how? You gonna put a "hit" on the people in charge of the NFL? Talk about over-dramatic I mean seriously Landshark.

It will stll be the most watched thing in the country this year and the league will still make billions on this game.

Pay dearly as in the weather causing massive problems and chaos if events have to be rescheduled.  This is why the game should not be at an open aired stadium in a cold weather location
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:59:04 am »

Pay dearly as in the weather causing massive problems and chaos if events have to be rescheduled.  This is why the game should not be at an open aired stadium in a cold weather location

The only thing that will "possibly" be rescheduled is the game. No other events are being rescheduled or cancled
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »

I will be really, really shocked if they move the game at all....even moving it to early Sunday seems almost impossible in my mind.  Unless there are no other options, I believe it will go on as planned.  So many eyeballs are casual fans at parties and stuff like that.  Those would be in jeopardy (and many lost) because people's plans will change.  Of course, I would watch if they moved the game to 4 AM on Tuesday, but a lot of people just watch because it's the thing to do -- like my wife for example.  She doesn't give one squat about football, but she watches every Super Bowl, because it's an event.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:28:33 pm »

I will be really, really shocked if they move the game at all....even moving it to early Sunday seems almost impossible in my mind.  Unless there are no other options, I believe it will go on as planned.  So many eyeballs are casual fans at parties and stuff like that.  Those would be in jeopardy (and many lost) because people's plans will change.  Of course, I would watch if they moved the game to 4 AM on Tuesday, but a lot of people just watch because it's the thing to do -- like my wife for example.  She doesn't give one squat about football, but she watches every Super Bowl, because it's an event.

lol, they ain't worried about people having parties at their home across the county. They are worried about getting people to and from the game in a safe manner where nobody dies!  Public Safety, it's the only reason they will move the game.  They don't care about the TV rating or your party with your neighbors.  They don't want any deaths on their watch from someone going to or heading home from MetLife Stadium in a blizzard with bad driving conditions.

And if you think this isn't real, UFC has already announced they have talked to the NFL and have plans made to move their pay per view off of Saturday night to Sunday if the Super Bowl changes days to Saturday. The NFL is now in contact with other sports leagues about moving games. It's a very real possibility this game is going to get moved. You are dealing with the weather...so ya never know till the last minute. But it looks bad as of today.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 12:32:42 pm »

^ That would be crazy.

I mean...I get it.  ...can't have people dying.  But still....nuts.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:51:01 pm »

Whatever it takes to get this game firmly remembered for the crappy weather, I'm all for it.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 01:24:04 pm »

^^^^

Within reason, I take it?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »

Forecast right now looks like there might be some snow, but nothing that will put the game into disarray. 

Maybe we should stop having any sporting events whatsoever in Florida because of the hurricane risk? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:49 pm »

Maybe we should stop having any sporting events whatsoever in Florida because of the hurricane risk? 

The University of Miami's reputation as criminals and hooligans is highly overrated...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

If they move the game many won't watch. It will still be big but most of their numbers come from people who don't typically watch football. They are only "watching" for the party. If numbers drop so does sponsorship revenue for next time.

The NFL is big but not big enough to say screw you to its fan base and not feel the effect.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 04:12:18 pm »

Fuck em.  Make them play in a blizzard or better yet another fog bowl.  My level of hatred for Roger Goodell whether this was his idea or not at this point I just want him to have to eat a mountain of shit.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »

Fuck em.  Make them play in a blizzard or better yet another fog bowl.  My level of hatred for Roger Goodell whether this was his idea or not at this point I just want him to have to eat a mountain of shit.

It's not about the players. It's about Public Safety. They don't want 80,000 fans risking their life getting to and from the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray