Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:33:35 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Ian Rappaport: Harbaugh Offered $8 Million Annually by Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ian Rappaport: Harbaugh Offered $8 Million Annually by Michigan  (Read 11111 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:58 pm »

Supposedly for 6 years too. He cites inside sources. Figure with Philbin very likely leaving the team, this is relevant to this forum.

You figure if Harbaugh will leave the West Coast, it would be to run a pretty talented NFL team in a beautiful city. Not run an awful college program in Michigan where it's cold.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:00:58 am »

It's not relevant to this team yet.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:35:31 am »

Harbaugh is under contract with the 49ers.

That said, I think Ross would be just as happy to have him at Michigan as he would to have him here.

I didn't think colleges could publicly offer contracts to coaches under contract elsewhere.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:24:44 am »

Harbaugh is under contract with the 49ers.

That said, I think Ross would be just as happy to have him at Michigan as he would to have him here.

I didn't think colleges could publicly offer contracts to coaches under contract elsewhere.

This doesn't sound like a formal offer or anything official. Sounds like someone "floated" to the press what the formal offer will be in a couple weeks when the SF season is over.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:24 am »

My understanding is that Harbaugh is STILL under contract for one more season, and hasn't been fired.  The discussion of him going elsewhere is pure speculation.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 10:32:23 am »

This doesn't sound like a formal offer or anything official. Sounds like someone "floated" to the press what the formal offer will be in a couple weeks when the SF season is over.

You do understand that Brian's question will still relevant in a few weeks when the 49ers season is over, right?  Harbaugh will "still" be under contract with the 49ers, and unless given his release by SF, or traded, he will remain under contract in SF through next season.

My understanding is that Harbaugh is STILL under contract for one more season, and hasn't been fired.  The discussion of him going elsewhere is pure speculation.

Yessir...that is correct.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 11:47:10 am »

what does michigan care of that .. the NFL can't penalize UM for poaching a coach away ..  especially if michigan is a right to work state
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 11:49:24 am »

The tampering rules apply to NFL teams only (and I'm not even sure if they apply to coaches, as I've heard Bay Area radio stations claiming that the Raiders have reached out to Harbaugh directly).

There is no rule preventing U of M from making an offer to Harbaugh.  It's no different than if he were to receive a job offer from Apple.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 11:55:56 am »

yeah I wasn't concerned about tampering, since Michigan is not related to the NFL in any way.  But, at the same time, I wonder if this Michigan offer is a smokescreen for the Dolphins interests because of Stephen Ross's ties to Michigan.  Is it a coincidence?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »

Ross would seem to also genuinely want Harbaugh in Michigan, so I'm not sure that's a smokescreen.

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:25 pm »

Saban was under contract when he ditched us for Alabama.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »

You do understand that Brian's question will still relevant in a few weeks when the 49ers season is over, right?  Harbaugh will "still" be under contract with the 49ers, and unless given his release by SF, or traded, he will remain under contract in SF through next season.

I understand his question completly. NFL coaches can leave for college jobs at any time they want. Harbuagh just can't return to the NFL until the his deal with SF is resolved
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 02:14:25 pm »

I just don't see Harbaugh going from a successful NFL franchise to a college program in disarray. If he does leave this offseason, and I'm still not entirely convinced he will, I expect him to be traded to another NFL team. Either that or join the Romanian Circus, as I previously tongue-in-cheek speculated...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »

I think the Michigan thing is pretty likely.  These NFL coaches can throw their weight around in college and get a lot of money over a lot of years.  If Harbaugh comes to Miami, even if it goes well, it's unlikely that he will be here long term.  Those college jobs are legacy type jobs -- more money, more control of the program, and you can intimidate.  These big name guys have more pull with college kids than pros who are tired of their shtick.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »

I actually think the chances of him getting traded were slim, and just got slimmer.

I don't see a team giving up picks, players, or hot dogs for a coach that's likely to be fired in a month anyway.  Also, with the Michigan thing looming, teams may be leery of investing much into a coach who could pull a Saban at any moment.

In the end, though, I don't see San Fran entering the draft with Harbaugh as coach, whether he leaves on his own or gets fired.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray