Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:22:48 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Ian Rappaport: Harbaugh Offered $8 Million Annually by Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ian Rappaport: Harbaugh Offered $8 Million Annually by Michigan  (Read 11097 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 04:53:00 pm »

I think the Michigan thing is pretty likely.  These NFL coaches can throw their weight around in college and get a lot of money over a lot of years.  If Harbaugh comes to Miami, even if it goes well, it's unlikely that he will be here long term.  Those college jobs are legacy type jobs -- more money, more control of the program, and you can intimidate.  These big name guys have more pull with college kids than pros who are tired of their shtick.
But here's the thing (and this applies double for a former Pro Bowler like Harbaugh):

College is for people who can't cut it at the pro level.  Sorry, but it's true, and NFLers are particularly aware of this.  So for a very competitive person, the idea of heading back to the minor leagues is a blow to the ego.  Now obviously, if you're a Steve Spurrier or a Nick Saban and you just can't pass muster in the NFL, it's better to be the king of college than a scrub in the pros.  But Harbaugh has had success in the NFL, so going back to college is even more of a harsh reality check.  (And I think we can all agree that at his level, the pride in his job is worth more to him than the difference between $8M in Ann Arbor and, say, $5M in Oakland.)

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 05:04:56 pm »

I would be stunned if Jim goes back to Michigan. Goes back to the lifestyle of begging teenage kids to come play for him and traveling and sitting in the living rooms of familys. Don't see it.

This offer just gives him leverage in every way. Which is why he won't, and shouldn't, shoot down the Michigan rumors. Jim will be in the NFL next year just not with SF
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »

I would be stunned if Jim goes back to Michigan. Goes back to the lifestyle of begging teenage kids to come play for him and traveling and sitting in the living rooms of familys. Don't see it.

This offer just gives him leverage in every way. Which is why he won't, and shouldn't, shoot down the Michigan rumors. Jim will be in the NFL next year just not with SF

I agree. It's not a prestigious program or a prestigious conference anymore, plus it's Michigan. West Coast can be lovely and Miami definitely is, but Michigan? Absolute lifestyle downgrade, even if the pay is better.

With another good offseason, Harbaugh can make Miami an 11 win team next year, as long as no crushing injuries happen or he Philbins the 4th quarter with timeouts. With Michigan, at least 3 years away from even 9 wins. No free agency in college, it's who you recruit......and pay big money to under the table.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:27 am »

This doesn't sound like a formal offer or anything official. Sounds like someone "floated" to the press what the formal offer will be in a couple weeks when the SF season is over.

Yeah, like his agent trying to drive up his contract value.  Miami needs to stay far away from this scenario.  Not to mention getting Harbaugh would result in loss of draft picks that Miami desperately needs.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 01:24:27 pm »

Yeah, like his agent trying to drive up his contract value.  Miami needs to stay far away from this scenario.  Not to mention getting Harbaugh would result in loss of draft picks that Miami desperately needs.

really? All the drat picks Miami blows. How's that 3rd round pick Billy Turner working out? Or that 3rd round pick Michael Egnew do? Or that 2nd round pick Daniel Thomas? I got no problem parting with a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick for a proven head coach
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:52 pm »

I agree. It's not a prestigious program or a prestigious conference anymore,

That's just flat out 100% wrong and not even close to being true. It's one of the best jobs in college sports along with Notre Dame, USC,  and Alabama when it comes to football.

He isn't going to Michigan because who the hell wants to recruit and put up with teenagers when you are coming off 3 conference championship games and a Super Bowl appearance. you don't step down from that.

Harbaugh reminds me a lot of a young Shula. Shula in Baltimore lost that heart breaker to Namath and the Jets. Shula leaves the Colts and goes somewhere else and has huge success. I think Harbaugh will be very much in the same mold and the  next NFL team he goes to he will do very well with. Whoever it is
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 05:05:21 pm »

really? All the drat picks Miami blows. How's that 3rd round pick Billy Turner working out? Or that 3rd round pick Michael Egnew do? Or that 2nd round pick Daniel Thomas? I got no problem parting with a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick for a proven head coach

You're right, Miami should just make its 1st round draft pick, then go home.   Roll Eyes
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »

You're right, Miami should just make its 1st round draft pick, then go home.   Roll Eyes

nobody said that.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 08:36:11 pm »

The Big 10 is Ohio State and some Top 40 teams. It is not prestigious anymore and Michigan is definitely not a great job anymore, he has to build it up tremendously.

As far as draft picks go, the Niners have no leverage. Take this 6th rounder or have this man be your coach for another year and make your whole team miserable.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 08:56:14 pm »

I got no problem parting with a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick for a proven head coach

Good luck with that.  Belichick parcells and grugon all cost more than that

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:02 pm »

As far as draft picks go, the Niners have no leverage. Take this 6th rounder or have this man be your coach for another year and make your whole team miserable.

Been spending a lot of time hanging out with the 49ers players this year, Edge? Or are you just talking out of an improper orifice? I read virtually everything written about the 49ers, and the players have all stood behind their coach 100% this season.

But, you know, if you're actually in the locker room, then I'll bow to your firsthand knowledge...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 01:13:31 am »

The Big 10 is Ohio State and some Top 40 teams. It is not prestigious anymore and Michigan is definitely not a great job anymore, he has to build it up tremendously.

they have at least as much leverage as nyj had with belichick or nep had with Parcells

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 04:43:24 am »

That is 100% wrong on every level. Michigan prints money and gets 100,000 fans at their home games. Not a good job? Not a prestigious job? No offense you have no clue what your talking about.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04:03 pm »

The Michigan basketball team seems hell-bent on tearing down that prestigiousness...losing back to back games to the New Jersey Institute of Technology and Eastern Michigan a couple of weeks ago.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »

^^^ Good thing Harbaugh isn't a basketball coach then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray