Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 12:53:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Super Bowl Blog
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Super Bowl Blog  (Read 14361 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:11 pm »

The play call was horrible and Wilson did the best he could with a poop sandwich.  It should have been a play-action fade or, at most, a rollout.

Butler said after the game that he expected that exact play; he was personally burned by it in the Patriots' practice.  That's why he jumped the route.

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 02:40:23 pm »

Too bad he wasn't I'm Revis' mindset which is what everything thought, that Lynch would run the ball.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »

^^^ Understood, but again, I blame the play call, because that particular play call guarantees that a pass would have to be put into a tight space. There is no scenario where that play is wide open, because it is going into the middle of the field on the goalline.

After further review, the receiver was open, the throw was late.

Also, they ran crossing patterns, eventually someone would have rubbed open. With Wilson's mobility, he could have made the play with his legs, or again... thrown it away. New England had trouble getting to him all game because of his escapability.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2015, 12:39:10 pm »

The throw wasn't late; that would be impossible, as it was in front of the receiver.  It was a timing throw to a spot and the DB jumped the route.  You can see Lockette run directly into Butler (without looking) and crumble.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:40:59 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 12:42:01 pm »

The throw wasn't late; that would be impossible, as it was in front of the receiver.  It was a timing throw to a spot and the DB jumped the route.  You can see Lockette run directly into Butler (without looking) and crumble.

The throw was a half second late. Not impossible. Wlson hesitated a hair before making the throw.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

How can a throw be late if it is AHEAD OF the receiver?

It was a timing throw to a spot.  Had Butler not been standing in that spot (in Lockette's way), it would have been precisely on time.  Had he thrown it earlier to that same spot, it would still have been an interception.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:54:05 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 01:01:32 pm »

How can a throw be late if it is AHEAD OF the receiver?

The throw was late as in the decision to release the ball was a half second later than it should have been. This is not a difficult concept to understand.

It was a timing throw to a spot.

I'm assuming you know this because you were part of the playcalling process for the Seahawks and therefore privy to the exact play and what the quarterback is supposed to do on it.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:47 pm »

Butler specifically said that he jumped the route because the Patriots had that play on tape and he was personally burned by it in their practice leading up to the SB.

When a receiver blindly runs into a DB who is standing exactly where the ball is going on a 1-yard pass play, how else would you describe it?  Do you know what a timing throw is?

I also find it interesting that you say Wilson's throw was a half-second late when he held on to the ball for a total of about 1 second.  But it's not a timing throw!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 01:42:43 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 08:46:45 pm »

Does carrol have a son named rich?

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray