Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:45:13 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Suh and the Dolphins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Suh and the Dolphins  (Read 25963 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« on: March 02, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »

Suh is being linked to Miami as a possible landing spot per a couple reports. I don't see it happening as Suh wants a truck-load of money and Miami would have to really gut the roster to make room. Other teams are loaded with cap space as it is
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »

Suh is being linked to Miami as a possible landing spot per a couple reports. I don't see it happening as Suh wants a truck-load of money and Miami would have to really gut the roster to make room. Other teams are loaded with cap space as it is

We are going to gut the roster anyway. There is so much dead weight on this roster.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:55:34 pm »

We are going to gut the roster anyway. There is so much dead weight on this roster.

They aren't gutting the roster. They are cutting a few key guys and then a bunch of old guys and back-ups. Aside from Hartline and Ellerbee (who didn't even play last year) not one meaningful starter is getting cut. Finnegan is old as dirt, Nate Garner, Brandon Gibson both role players who are easily replaceable. Who else are they cutting that is meaningful....can't name a single guy. Or a starter.

Fins are creating cap space to pay Tannehill and Pouncey.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 09:15:16 am »

They aren't gutting the roster. They are cutting a few key guys and then a bunch of old guys and back-ups. Aside from Hartline and Ellerbee (who didn't even play last year) not one meaningful starter is getting cut. Finnegan is old as dirt, Nate Garner, Brandon Gibson both role players who are easily replaceable. Who else are they cutting that is meaningful....can't name a single guy. Or a starter.

Fins are creating cap space to pay Tannehill and Pouncey.

Pouncey is already going to count over $7 million against the cap. They don't need to cut anyone to create cap space for him. By simply signing him to a long term deal, they will reduce that $7 million number in the first year if they structure it with a low base salary in year 1.

And by the time it is said and done, you will see a lot more guys gone.

Starks, Ellerbe, Wheeler (will get designated a post June 1st cut), don't be surprised if you see Earl Mitchell go as well given there is no cap penalty to cut him.

Additionally, they have to do something about Brandon Fields and his almost $4 million cap hit. He wasn't himself last season and that is too much money for a punter.

Shelly Smith is another dead weight guy. $2.75 million saved by cutting him, very little cap penalty.

Actually, if they cut Starks and Mitchell, that would create almost $10 million in cap and you can sign Suh to a long term deal with a low base salary in year 1 and not have to worry about the impact in later years because the cap space goes wide open for the Dolphins in 2016 and beyond. I wouldn't do it because then you have no flexibility to address anything else unless you draft really well, and the Dolphins are not known for that.

The cuts have just begun for the Dolphins. More to come.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 10:25:50 am »

I've been waiting to see this. Let's just stop the discussion here. It isn't happening and I for one am happy it won't. Too much money and too big a douche. It is telling that Detroit didn't even make the appearance of trying to keep him.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:01 am »

If Miami has Monopoly money to pay a player like Suh, I would much rather them go after Revis once the Patriots officially let him out of his contract (which will happen).  They both would cost a tremendous amount, Revis would bring more to the defensive side than would Suh...

...and they are both as likely to happen as me winning the lottery.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 11:56:10 am »

If Miami has Monopoly money to pay a player like Suh, I would much rather them go after Revis once the Patriots officially let him out of his contract (which will happen).  They both would cost a tremendous amount, Revis would bring more to the defensive side than would Suh...

...and they are both as likely to happen as me winning the lottery.

Revis is great and all but he is older and his career might have peaked already and its all downside from here. I would rather have Suh as we stand today.

Mark Domonic of ESPN (who was Hickey's boss for years) seems convinced Miami is hot after Suh. And Tannenbaum does like to spend like a drunken sailor so nothing would surprise me. 
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »

Tannenbaum did go hard after Kris Jenkins when he was with the Jets and it panned out early, but then Jenkins broke down.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 06:09:25 am »

Suh's agent is BFF's with Tannenbaum. Not sure if that will matter in the end but something to remember
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 03:45:23 pm »

Looks like Odrick won't be back in Miami. Fins want Suh

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker believes Miami will let free agent DT Jared Odrick walk.
This doesn't come as a huge surprise. The two sides haven't engaged in contract talks, and the Dolphins seem poised to make a serious run at free agent Ndamukong Suh. Odrick will still have a healthy market after Suh and Terrance Knighton sign their deals. Odrick could command north of $6 million annually as a scheme-versatile lineman who can play 4-3 defensive tackle or 3-4 end.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 03:58:03 pm »

In order to get Suh, we would need to cut Starks and/or Mitchell.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 06:07:33 pm »

Pretty sure we were cutting Starks anyway.

Fuck it, as long as we aren't making an ill conceived run to do anything in 2015 and screwing over future cap space.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:59 pm »

Suh to Miami is picking up steam, all reporters have it as his likely landing spot. He wants a 6 year deal over $100 mill with $55-$65 mill guaranteed. He will use the Jags and Raiders as leverage to get the most out of Miami and sign with Miami. Tannenbaum is in love with him per reports (and lets be honest he is our real GM not Hickey)

Suh is a dirty player, has some fines and suspensions against him and another one will just keep the suspensions getting longer. That is a downside. Plus he is really a 4-3 DT so IF Philbin fails next year and is fired the next head coach must want a 4-3 defense or else you got $60 million tied up in a guy with no position. And it is VERY hypocritical of Ross and the Fins to get rid of Incognito cause he was "dirty" and a "bad guy"....then turn around and give  a $100 mill contract to Suh! Just sayin!

One big  positive if they sign him, it would be fun to watch Suh stomp Brady's calf or slam his head into the turf next year then come up with an excuse like "I couldn't feel my foot" or "I didn't slam his head into the ground".
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:04:41 pm by MikeO » Logged
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:13 pm »

No denying his talent, but there appears to be better uses for our money than blowing it all on Suh. I hope the team is really convinced that Davis and Taylor can be big time NFL corners and that is the answer for the future.

If we sign Suh, we are going to need a hell of a draft to fill spots.

And yes, watching him stomp on Brady's hand is worth every penny.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 01:24:07 am »

Suh is one of the top 2-3 defensive linemen in the league, and behavioral quirks aside, he would make an incredible addition to Miami's defense. Not sure any DT is worth $17-18 million per year, but if anyone is, it's probably Suh.

On a personal note... If he signs with the Dolphins, it will mean that my dynasty FF squad (20 team IDP) will finally have a Miami player on the roster. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray