Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:45:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Brady suspended 4 games; NE loses a 1st, 4th, and $1M
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Brady suspended 4 games; NE loses a 1st, 4th, and $1M  (Read 46755 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »

Understanding this is a board filled with "string up the Patriot loser cheater" thinkers...Here is where I have slight issue with the penalty, kinda:

1:  The evidence is flawed (at least it's worded in a way to present that it's flawed - perhaps to protect themselves from lawsuit).  However there is no "smoking gun."

2:  This has never been an issue before.  Has anyone ever heard the league make an issue about game balls?  Ever?  Suddenly this is an issue.

3:  I REALLY don't like that this feels like a sting, it feels like the NFL - and other teams, worked against the Patriots.  Again, on an issue which has never been an issue before.  You can't speak to the "integrity" of the game, and operate in this manner.  It works both ways.  Issue an edict, have teams violate the edict, issue a warning - and then, if needed, do investigations for teams which breaks the rules.

4:  This is done by every team, on every level.  Brad Johnson is on record stating he paid someone $7,500.00 moments before Tampa Bay's only SB win to doctor up the balls exactly the way he wanted them.  Aaron Rodgers has stated he doctors his.  The Vikings were caught keeping game balls next to a heater during a cold, raining game.  This is common place, but the NFL decided this is where they wanted to make their "stand."

It feels like they (the NFL) wanted to make an example out of NE due to the perception of NE being "the biggest cheaters out there" (they aren't, Denver is, sorry*).  So, for me, I kinda have a problem with this.

*http://yourteamcheats.com/

I think a fine for both the player and organization fits, along with two lower level draft picks.  Now everyone knows, don't mess with the game balls.  Do it *again* and this type of punishment "fits the crime."  But this time?  

Nope.

If the NFL will over-reach on this, they will over-reach on everything.  Don't think your team, or Miami, is immune.  

My two cents.  Isn't worth much.

1. There doesn't need to be a smoking gun. What there needs to be is a more than likely scenario which this more than meets.

2 - 4 These are all related. You can't say it has never been an issue and then bring up a previous issue. The edict was issued. The NFL released a statement to all teams after the Vikings - Panthers game that the balls were not to be messed with. The edict was issued and the Patriots ignored it. You can't complain about a sting at that point. I don't believe this fits the definition of sting anyway. What did the NFL do to "sting" the Patriots, schedule them to play a football game?
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »

Maine, you really think the NFL went on a witch-hunt or performed a sting operation against the Patriots? The Patriots?

Goodell and Kraft are buddies...or...were.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 03:57:13 pm »

Understanding this is a board filled with "string up the Patriot loser cheater" thinkers...Here is where I have slight issue with the penalty, kinda:

1:  The evidence is flawed (at least it's worded in a way to present that it's flawed - perhaps to protect themselves from lawsuit).  However there is no "smoking gun."

Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington  ·  1h 1 hour ago
Wells on the text exchanges: “That is not circumstantial evidence. That is two participants in the scheme discussing what is taking place."

Add in the fact Brady wouldn't release his phone and texts and you've got all you need. In fact he should have been suspended 4 games just for not cooperating in an investigation IMO.

2:  This has never been an issue before.  Has anyone ever heard the league make an issue about game balls?  Ever?  Suddenly this is an issue.
If it wasn't an issue there wouldn't be a rule and Brady certianly wouldn't have gone to the lengths he did to make it happen.  Obviously they knew the rules or they wouldn't have had to steal the balls to let the air out and Brady wouldn't have had to pay them for doing so.

3:  I REALLY don't like that this feels like a sting, it feels like the NFL - and other teams, worked against the Patriots.  Again, on an issue which has never been an issue before.  You can't speak to the "integrity" of the game, and operate in this manner.  It works both ways.  Issue an edict, have teams violate the edict, issue a warning - and then, if needed, do investigations for teams which breaks the rules.
Jeff Darlington @JeffDarlington  ·  2h 2 hours ago
Ted Wells: "The Patriots were all over me from Day One about why the NFL did not warn them.” …That’s why he addressed sting allegations.

This is hilarious to me and almsot surreal. I'm breaking the law but it's not my fault because no one warned me the police were coming. How can anyone say that with a straight face?

4:  This is done by every team, on every level.  Brad Johnson is on record stating he paid someone $7,500.00 moments before Tampa Bay's only SB win to doctor up the balls exactly the way he wanted them.  Aaron Rodgers has stated he doctors his.  The Vikings were caught keeping game balls next to a heater during a cold, raining game.  This is common place, but the NFL decided this is where they wanted to make their "stand."
I see people saying the do drugs every day yet I only know a few people who were caught with drugs and then arrested. Funny how the "caught" thing comes into play. I'd imagine that would be the same thing here but that's just me. I mean ... plenty of people said they did they used the same "bullying tactics" Miami did but only Miami was punished.

It really seems to me that you have been blinded by this Maine. Not sure why but it seems like you have started to become a Patriots apologist in the last few years.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 04:15:13 pm »

It really seems to me that you have been blinded by this Maine. Not sure why but it seems like you have started to become a Patriots apologist in the last few years.

I've noticed this as well. The first few times I thought it was a Devil's advocate thing, now I'm not sure at all where it comes from.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »

The very idea of this being a "sting" is absurd.

A "sting" would be if one of the two equipment managers was actually an NFL employee and facilitated the deflation.  Failing to warn you about careful enforcement of the rules after you are suspected of breaking them is not a "sting."

I don't think Maine has become a secret Pats apologist.  I think he lives in New England and is starting to be convinced by the excuses he hears everyone up there making for the Pats.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:51:21 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 04:57:37 pm »

So an open apologist?  Grin
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 05:25:46 pm »

Maine...say it ain't so!  SMH for defending those dirty cheaters.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 06:02:26 pm »

The edict was issued. The NFL released a statement to all teams after the Vikings - Panthers game that the balls were not to be messed with. The edict was issued and the Patriots ignored it.
I'd argue that the edict was issued when the NFL released a "rule book".

You don't need a reminder or a warning from police reminding you not to rob liquor stores.  Rules are rules, and should be treated as such.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »

You don't need a reminder or a warning from police reminding you not to rob liquor stores. 

If God didn't want mankind to rob liquor stores, He wouldn't have made beer nuts so damned expensive...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »

It feels like they (the NFL) wanted to make an example out of NE due to the perception of NE being "the biggest cheaters out there" (they aren't, Denver is, sorry*).  So, for me, I kinda have a problem with this.

*http://yourteamcheats.com/

I think a fine for both the player and organization fits, along with two lower level draft picks.  Now everyone knows, don't mess with the game balls.  Do it *again* and this type of punishment "fits the crime."  But this time?  

Nope.

If the NFL will over-reach on this, they will over-reach on everything.  Don't think your team, or Miami, is immune.  

My two cents.  Isn't worth much.

You got to be kidding me? That is embarrassing what you just wrote!
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 11:28:31 pm »

I actually agree with Maine

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2015, 11:33:33 pm »

I actually agree with Maine
You live in New England just like Maine. Funny how both are defending them.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 11:37:31 pm »

You live in New England just like Maine. Funny how both are defending them.

I am probably the biggest Patriot hater on this board.

But this is making a big deal over nothing.

This is like sentencing somebody to prison and a four figure fine for jaywalking.   

Or to expand Stroke's comment, like giving somebody twenty years and a 7 figure fine for robbing a liquor store.             
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:39:40 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 12:03:19 am »

You can say that it's excessively harsh, but are you arguing that it is inconsistent with prior punishment?

Again, Sean Payton got a year suspension for something he wasn't even directly involved in, just because he should have known about it and should have stopped it.  Brady was clearly aware of this, clearly involved in this, and tried to cover it up.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 12:11:58 am »

You can say that it's excessively harsh, but are you arguing that it is inconsistent with prior punishment?

Again, Sean Payton got a year suspension for something he wasn't even directly involved in, just because he should have known about it and should have stopped it.  Brady was clearly aware of this, clearly involved in this, and tried to cover it up.

Targeting players for injury is a lot more severe than deflating footballs

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray