Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 05:35:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Brady suspended 4 games; NE loses a 1st, 4th, and $1M
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Brady suspended 4 games; NE loses a 1st, 4th, and $1M  (Read 46800 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:56 am »

NFLPA and Brady have caved! They are willing to accept a reduced suspension for Brady only if it states its because he was unwilling to cooperate with the investigation. No admission of having deflated footballs.

Adam Schefter reporting this this morning. Court is about to start up 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2015, 09:26:25 am »

This was in the news yesterday. The NFL has been adamant that Brady capitulate entirely during all negotiations. I don't like the idea of reducing the suspension though. I've felt all along Brady's cover up is worse than any actions carried out by the equipment staff.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:57 pm »

After what the judge said to the NFL today, concerning their lack of fairness in the arbitration, and the penalty itself, it seems as if there is less pressure for Brady to cave at all.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2015, 09:02:15 pm »

also came out today that if this isn't resolved by Sep 4th then Brady starts his suspension on Sep 5th. I have a feeling this might drag out a while
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:45 pm »

The media is making it sound like Brady is very likely to walk with no penalty at all. This would open up a huge can of worms for arbitrators rulings that the court system will never be able to handle.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2015, 08:37:25 pm »

The sports media is clueless about this. They don't know anything more than the average fan.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:49 pm »

Sounds like the judge KNOWS he has to side with the NFL because of the CBA but is trying to shame the NFL into making a deal with the NFLPA/Brady to reduce the sentence so he doesn't have to give a judgment because the NFL's case is kinda weak in some areas. That's how I am seeing this
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2015, 09:55:14 pm »

I hope so, because not only should Brady be suspended for cheating, but by disregarding an arbitrators ruling, you essentially make them all worthless and open to appeals within the court system. I know that may not sound like a lot, but it's a huge frigging deal. It's essentially the end of the arbitration process because the losing side will always appeal the ruling and it could be tied up in court for months or years.

I know the NFL case is weak and really relies "Oh come on, OF COURSE he cheated" evidence, but both sides agreed to this and once again fuck Tom Brady.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

Sounds like the judge KNOWS he has to side with the NFL because of the CBA but is trying to shame the NFL into making a deal with the NFLPA/Brady to reduce the sentence so he doesn't have to give a judgment because the NFL's case is kinda weak in some areas. That's how I am seeing this
He doesn't have to side with the NFL he merely has to say that he will not overrule the decision because it was already ruled on and that power had already been given to the NFL because of the CBA. He's not siding with the NFL, merely following the law.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2015, 07:39:20 pm »

He doesn't have to side with the NFL he merely has to say that he will not overrule the decision because it was already ruled on and that power had already been given to the NFL because of the CBA. He's not siding with the NFL, merely following the law.

That's a nice play on words lawyer speak, but if that is his judgement/decision...he's siding with the NFL at the end of the day
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2015, 11:07:22 am »

That's a nice play on words lawyer speak, but if that is his judgement/decision...he's siding with the NFL at the end of the day
The way I look at it, "siding with the NFL" is a play on words. A no decision favors the NFL, but it's not technically siding with the NFL. The courts try to stay out of the arbitration process rather than "side" with either side. He could say that he doesn't even agree with the decision to suspend Brady but that he's upholding it anyway because there's not sufficient evidence that the NFL did anything wrong in making that decision. That's not siding with the NFL.

My definition of "siding with the NFL" would be if this goes to trial and they uphold the suspension. Don't forget that the NFL filed this lawsuit asking for the judge to approve their decision to suspend Brady. Not really sure how a "no" decision would be "siding" with the NFL.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:33:23 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2015, 07:36:29 pm »

I agree with Pappy.  There is a difference between the court saying "We have evaluated both sides and we agree with the NFL's decision," and "We decline to intervene in the NFL's decision-making process."

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2015, 08:07:37 pm »

I agree with Pappy.  There is a difference between the court saying "We have evaluated both sides and we agree with the NFL's decision," and "We decline to intervene in the NFL's decision-making process."

Either way the NFL wins and gets what it wants...so its a play on words and how ya want to spin it. End of the day Brady sits for 4 games
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2015, 06:50:42 pm »

Either way the NFL wins and gets what it wants...so its a play on words and how ya want to spin it. End of the day Brady sits for 4 games

The term is semantics. However that type of judgment would not be semantics. It would be a court following previous jurisprudence and deciding to not intervene in the arbitrator's area. That is not a validation of what the NFL did.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #149 on: August 24, 2015, 06:53:24 pm »

The term is semantics. However that type of judgment would not be semantics. It would be a court following previous jurisprudence and deciding to not intervene in the arbitrator's area. That is not a validation of what the NFL did.

If Brady is out 4 games and the judge keeps that FOR WHATEVER REASON, the NFL lawyers and league officials will go back to the office order a big lunch and pop the champagne cause they got what they wanted at the end of the day. That's reality
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray