Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 04:25:42 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Enough with pre-season already.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Enough with pre-season already.  (Read 5995 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »

(1) Injures that occur during the preseason are worse than those that occur week 1.

I never said that at all.  I don't think they're worse or better.  I just think you're elongating the season unnecessarily and increasing the risk of injury for no reason.

Let players practice.  They won't get injured that way unlike in games.  Okay, tell that to Kam Chancellor among others.

I never said that either.  Practice all you want, as much as you think is needed.

(3) Don't televise the games.  I get something like 400 channels.   If I don't want to watch a NFL preseason football game there are hundreds of other options.

They are packaging this as a product and it's a bad product.  I don't have to watch, true.  But I'd prefer it not even exist, especially because it controls the news cycle and lasts too long.  

(4) Don't make you pay for the game.  You don't have to.  Yes, If you want season tickets you have to buy the whole season.  But if they got rid of the preseason which of the following is more likely (a) the annual cost will remain the same (or go up) with that amount of money divided by 8 rather than 10 OR (b) the per ticket price per game will remain the same with season ticket holders paying 20% less.   If you picked (b) I have a unicorn to sell you.  

The market will determine what a ticket will bring.  So, they can raise the ticket price all they want, but the market will (and is determining that).  It's irritating to have to pay full price for a game where the market value is $15.

(5) Coaches don't need the preseason game to trim the roster from 80 to 53 and choose the starters.  Statements by coaches seem to suggest otherwise.  Also those game films allow other teams to pick up bubble players that are cut.

(6) It will be fair as long as no team has a preseason game.  This is true.  It would also be fair if every team got 5 downs, if timeouts lasted 5 mins, if they stopped using an oblong ball and used a round one instead, required that punters wear pink shoe laces or extended the preseason from 4 games to 6.  EVERY rule change would be fair, that is never the issue.  Question is would the change improve the game. you have offered nothing to suggest that.

The point I'm making is to refute what teams need to tool their roster.  So long as all teams have no games, there is no competitive advantage.

And removing pre-season would make it better.  20% of your season is meaningless, shitty football where the stakes vary greatly from player to player, introducing increased injury risk.  Cut it or extend the season to accommodate it.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2015, 01:19:23 pm »

What if preseason games were only 2 quarters?

you won't get fans to go if its only 2 quarters. Which is why you get rid of them all together, increase the number of practices a team can have. And let teams do more "joint practices" which the coaches get more out of than the silly games anyway. Yes players can still get hurt in practices (Kelvin Benjamin, Louis Delmas..etc)....but the risk is far less so it would be smarter to play the odds overall.

If some people's reason to keeping the preseason games is ...."well every other league does it".....its a naive narrow minded stance to take. The NFL doesn't follow other leagues, never has and never will. That's why they are the #1 sport in this country and there isn't a close 2nd. And as I said, college football doesn't have any "preseason games" and it hasn't hurt that sport any or the level of play and those are college kids not professionals!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »

Preseason is not for the fans.  Sorry, I don't care if its in a stadium with concessions etc.  They don't go out there for the fans.  If so, then I agree, fold it up.

Preseason is a "real life" practice.  It creates game situations to evaluate players.  Who gives a crap if no fans show up?  No fans show up already.  No one goes out to buy single game tickets for a preseason game, and those that are given them as part of a season ticket package don't go either.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »

Don't be naive.  Pre-season is a money-maker for the owners and nothing more.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 03:07:36 pm »

Don't be naive.  Pre-season is a money-maker for the owners and nothing more.

No, you are the one being naive.

Talk to any coach or athlete, in any sport at any level.  And ask them the following, "given the choose of only having practices and scrimmages against your own team mates OR the chance to play a few scrimmages against another team before the season begins, which would you prefer to help you prepare for your first game that counts?"

Go ahead ask them.  Ask 10. 

Pre-season isn't for the fans.  But it isn't for the owners either.  It is for the coaches and players.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 03:13:47 pm »

I'd also be interested in someone (I'm pretty sure none of us have the resources or time though) doing an analysis of how many of these pre-season injuries are in game and how many are in practice. I'm seeing the injury reasoning here quite a bit but I bet an analysis would show that pre-season practice has more injuries than these games.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »

There are a lot of people who are boo-hooing and calling for the NFL to get rid of preseason games...but none of those people have the responsibility for getting a professional football team ready to play. The people who DO have to get a football team ready, the coaches and GMs in the NFL...they want the preseason.

Preseason games aren't going anywhere. You guys can whine about it all you want, but the only thing you'll achieve is hearing yourself whine.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2015, 03:19:58 pm »

I'd also be interested in someone (I'm pretty sure none of us have the resources or time though) doing an analysis of how many of these pre-season injuries are in game and how many are in practice. I'm seeing the injury reasoning here quite a bit but I bet an analysis would show that pre-season practice has more injuries than these games.

If I had to bet, I take more injuries during practice.  

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2015, 05:28:41 pm »

No, you are the one being naive.

Talk to any coach or athlete, in any sport at any level.  And ask them the following, "given the choose of only having practices and scrimmages against your own team mates OR the chance to play a few scrimmages against another team before the season begins, which would you prefer to help you prepare for your first game that counts?"

Go ahead ask them.  Ask 10. 

Pre-season isn't for the fans.  But it isn't for the owners either.  It is for the coaches and players.

I'm pretty sure Aaron Rodgers just recently said preseason games should go away or be reduced by half, I can't remember. The only players who probably want preseason games are those on the bubble who need a chance to show off their skills. The starters probably could care less or would want them gone.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure Aaron Rodgers just recently said preseason games should go away or be reduced by half, I can't remember. The only players who probably want preseason games are those on the bubble who need a chance to show off their skills. The starters probably could care less or would want them gone.

There are a few athletes that are at the very top of their game for which preseason games are of little or no value.   Rodgers is one of them.  Brady, Manning, Brees are some others.  Next year Suh will likely be in that group as well, this year he is learning a new defense.

Here is what to do with those players -- sit them.  Let Rodgers back ups play every single down, they will need those reps, if Rodgers gets injured in a game

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:26 am »

Notable injuries from this weekend: Dez Bryant, Terrell Suggs, Luke Kuechly, T.Y. Hilton, Derek Carr, Andre Ellington, Antonio Cromartie & Josh McCown.

Unbelievable...we should just get rid of opening week entirely.

Shocked   Roll Eyes    Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 11:12:24 am »

There is a danger associated with playing any games.  Therefore you should limit the games to only the ones you need.  4-5 games that have no meaning is just dumb.

But hey -- keep watching fake football.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:34 am »

News came out last night that the NFL wants to reduce the preseason to only 2 games.  They are looking for ways to make up the lost revenue for removing the 2 games to keep all parties happy. And per the 2011 CBA the NFL can remove 2 preseason games without needing the players to agree or for it to be negotiated. So it could happen as soon as next year.

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »

About time!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray