Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 07:44:49 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Did the Giants give the game away?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Did the Giants give the game away?  (Read 3580 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: September 13, 2015, 11:41:53 pm »

What do you think?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:43:57 pm »

Yes they did!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 11:51:54 pm »

That was a Philbin-like decision on the goal-line there, though Collinsworth made a brilliant point that Eli should have taken the sack.

This is the kind of game that can ruin a season. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 01:51:11 am »

Yes.  It was a completely horrible decision, much like the last offensive play for the Seahawks in February.

My jaw dropped as soon as Eli rolled out, then it dropped even further when he didn't take the sack.  He's too seasoned of a player to make that kind of boneheaded play.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:43 am »

Eli blew it by not just going down.  But it never should have come to that.  There is absolutely no way a passing play should have been called.  Even if Eli takes a sack, there is a chance of the ball being fumbled.  I know there is a chance of a fumble on a running play too, but the QB is a lot more likely to have the ball knocked out than the RB is.  As good as Romo is at the 2 minute drill, that was an absolutely inexcusable play call. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:00:47 pm »

I think we've discussed this type of play happening before.  When a pass play is called for it that type of situation I think it is incumbent upon the coaching staff to remind Eli to take a sack versus throwing it out of the end zone, so I blame the coaches.  You can say its a bonehead move by Eli because he's a veteran, but he's got twenty things running through his head, and the normal thing to do is get rid of the ball and not take a sack, except in a situation like this.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:36:26 pm »

Eli blew it by not just going down.  But it never should have come to that.  There is absolutely no way a passing play should have been called.
So after two failed runs, the best choice is another run?

I have no problem with the pass play call.  That is trying to win; another run would be trying not to lose.  Coughlin should have reminded Eli to go down if there was nothing there, though.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »

I think the play action pass call was the right call.  The Tight end was getting abused and couldn't make his break.  The failure was that, when Eli saw that his only target was occupied, he should have tucked the ball and ran for the goal line, and perhaps slide when guys get near.  Keep that clock running at all costs.

Problem is that QB's are instinctively trained to "live to play another down" in that situation.  However, as the QB, you have to know situational fundamental football and know what's the best play to make.  It was a brain fart by Eli, plain and simple.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

Bad play call by Philbin that could've been saved by Eli was taking a sack. Two veterans who should know better. Shit happens sometimes, but that was a bad loss. Kind of thing that haunts you unless you rebound quickly the following week.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 02:07:09 pm »

Bad play call by Philbin that could've been saved by Eli was taking a sack. Two veterans who should know better. Shit happens sometimes, but that was a bad loss. Kind of thing that haunts you unless you rebound quickly the following week.

Huh
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »

So after two failed runs, the best choice is another run?

I have no problem with the pass play call.  That is trying to win; another run would be trying not to lose.  Coughlin should have reminded Eli to go down if there was nothing there, though.

I understand your point about playing to win vs. playing "not to lose".   And as a general rule, I agree with this.  Especially on the road.  There is an old adage that on the road you play for the win and at home you play for the tie.  However.....in this case, under these specific circumstances (amount of time on the clock, no timeouts remaining for Dallas, etc.), yes, I would say after two failed runs, the best choice is another run.  Even if you don't make it, you still kick a field goal and instead of giving Dallas the ball back with 1:30 on the game clock, you give it to them with around 45 seconds.  With someone as good as Romo at the 2 minute drill, there is a big difference between 1:30 and 45 seconds.  
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:45:44 pm »

However.....in this case, under these specific circumstances (amount of time on the clock, no timeouts remaining for Dallas, etc.), yes, I would say after two failed runs, the best choice is another run.
You don't have to run... Eli could have just fallen down instead of throwing it out the back of the end zone.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 03:26:41 pm »

Developing story:

The Giants didn't know how many timeouts Dallas had, and Jennings was specifically instructed not to score on first or second down.

Keep this in mind when someone tries to tell you that rings mean you are good or smart.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »

Jennings was specifically instructed not to score on first or second down.

Absolutely stupid decision.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:07 pm »

Bad play call by Philbin that could've been saved by Eli was taking a sack.

I'm guessing this was just force of habit...?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray