Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 05:21:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  let's go one step further
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: let's go one step further  (Read 4448 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »

Even by statistical definition, they ran the ball on 1st, second, and third down unsuccessfully.  Stuffed all three times.  Even if they got in on 4th down, by definition, it is a 25% success rate.
That's not how statistics work.

If I flip a coin 10 times and get heads twice, that doesn't mean a coin flip has an 80% chance of being tails.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 11:44:34 am »

That's not how statistics work.

If I flip a coin 10 times and get heads twice, that doesn't mean a coin flip has an 80% chance of being tails.
I know how statistics work.  Thanks for the lesson.

But this isn't a random process with a bimodal distribution like a coin flip is.  This is influenced by non-random skills and events.  Success rate absolutely applies.  If I approach a someone's house when they're not home and try to open the front door, is there a 50/50 chance I get in (locked or unlocked) or is it statistically more likely that the door is locked?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 12:22:33 pm »

Brian, you said that "by statistical definition," if they successfully ran the ball on 4th down that would mean they have a 25% success rate on 1-yard runs.  That's not statistical probability; that's short-term history.

Using the same logic, since they failed on the 2 runs they did try, we must conclude that they had a 0% success rate, and that any further runs would be a waste of time.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

Using the same logic, since they failed on the 2 runs they did try, we must conclude that they had a 0% success rate, and that any further runs would be a waste of time.

BINGO.
You can keep trying it, you might get lucky once or twice, but if you tried it three times and failed, why would you do it a 4th time?

This is precisely why a play action pass was called on 3rd down, and not another run.  It wasn't working, try something else.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:22 pm »

BINGO.
You can keep trying it, you might get lucky once or twice, but if you tried it three times and failed, why would you do it a 4th time?

This is precisely why a play action pass was called on 3rd down, and not another run.  It wasn't working, try something else.

According to reports the back was told not to score on the first two carries. You can't say it wasn't working if that report is accurate. No one was trying to make it work.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 02:14:46 pm »

According to reports the back was told not to score on the first two carries. You can't say it wasn't working if that report is accurate. No one was trying to make it work.
In this hypothetical situation, I'm assuming the coach is not a moron and prefer to eat up seconds rather than take a 10 point lead.  If they wanted to not score, why wouldn't they just take a knee?  That story sounds really silly to me.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11:51 pm »

BINGO.

because 3 is too small of a sample size to ever tell you anything meaningful.  You could have an 80% overall success rate and have 3 fails in a row. 

Plus if you only do your highest percent plays every time,  they will soon fail. What I mean by this is NEP isa better passing team, than running,  and their best receiver is Gronk, but if Brady threw to Gronk on every single play,  NE would lose.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray