Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 06:47:44 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Draft Kings Scandal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Draft Kings Scandal  (Read 17094 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2015, 03:58:07 pm »

That's funny because the headline I read didn't say "Judge declares daily fantasy sports regulated in New York"

that is because if you set up an illegal operation the response isn't to send in regulators it is to shut you down.

if these organizations want to do business they need to go about it by getting licensed first  

they didn't do that, they thought they could exploit loophole that exists so yjff could exist, and they set up something well more complex than yjff.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2015, 04:29:28 pm »

Not one to say I told ya so...

Are you kidding me? You live for that shit! If someone offered you either a million dollars or the ability to tell someone "I told ya so" every day for the rest of your life, you'd turn down the money faster than a downhill cheetah.

Personally, I can't wait until the glorious day comes when DFS is regulated as much as online poker and horse racing, and I don't have to see a thousand commercials for it every day on every channel, website and other media outlets.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2015, 05:38:32 pm »

Are you kidding me? You live for that shit! If someone offered you either a million dollars or the ability to tell someone "I told ya so" every day for the rest of your life, you'd turn down the money faster than a downhill cheetah.

Personally, I can't wait until the glorious day comes when DFS is regulated as much as online poker and horse racing, and I don't have to see a thousand commercials for it every day on every channel, website and other media outlets.

Keep working at that whole "comedy writing thing" one day you will get there champ.

But you can make a case if DFS didn't advertise as much as they did this past year, they probably still would be flying under the radar and not having to deal with any of this. You can make a case they brought it on themselves. They advertised so much and brought so much attention to themselves this was bound to happen.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2015, 06:34:56 pm »

What is the harm of fantasy games?  Someone might win a few bucks?
The same harm that applies to any other form of gambling.

The spread is in place to make it more of a 50/50 shot - a game of chance.
How does that make it a game of chance?  If anything, it emphasizes in-depth knowledge; you don't need to know anything about football to accurately pick the Patriots over the Titans, but you do need to know about football to accurately pick the Patriots -20 over the Titans.

But even if what you are saying were true: are you claiming that betting on the outcome of games is a "contest of skill" (and not "gambling") as long as there is no point spread?

Meanwhile, betting the spread is legal in Vegas.  Horse racing is LEGAL in lots of places.  But playing fantasy football is evil?
No one said anything about gambling being evil.  Internet poker isn't evil, but it's banned in the United States.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2015, 08:40:37 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq785nJ0FXQ

Most telling stat is 1% of the DFS players win 91% of the money
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:42:55 am by MikeO » Logged
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:47 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq785nJ0FXQ

Most telling stat is 1% of the DFS players win 91% of the money

John Oliver's fake ad starting at 15:25 is freaking brilliant.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2015, 10:32:42 am »

John Oliver's fake ad starting at 15:25 is freaking brilliant.

It really was!
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2015, 07:54:31 pm »

He crushes the whole "skill" argument.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2015, 08:28:28 am »

I wish they had shut down FanDuel before this weekend. LOL I've been doing well all year and had turned a profit in every week except one of them.  This weekend, forget.  Seems like half my teams were injured.  I cashed in on ZERO games this week. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2015, 02:35:49 pm »

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fantasysports-new-york-idUSKBN0TU1UA20151211?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=twitter#08kLYdUXOXzSRPHD.97

New York ordered closed. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2015, 02:54:15 pm »

With the amount of money this generates it will be back in NY once the State Legislature comes up with a plan to tax it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2015, 03:28:20 pm »

What I find hilarious about this whole situation is that the DFS companies are arguing out their ass about it being a "game of skill" to try to get by New York's gambling label. As soon as this situation broke, both FanDuel and Draft Kings both started adding the following words to their advertisements...

"Test Your Skill!"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray