Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 11:29:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Draft Kings Scandal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Draft Kings Scandal  (Read 17116 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 07, 2015, 10:27:11 am »

This is gambling.  Pure and simple.

And this scandal shows that it needs to be regulated.  There is an unfair advantage to having more information than the public and using that to fleece the userbase.

I hope this doesn't wipe out the premise, but instead brings it into legitimacy.

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 10:49:55 am »

You will see the government jump in and be all over this. It's an easy score for them and probably 1 thing the 2 parties can agree on.

ESPN is already distancing themselves from both companies. The sports leagues will begin to distance themselves from them. It won't kill this industry but they won't be as main stream going forward.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:10 am »

IMO - employees of either company shouldn't be allowed to participate.  That avoids crap like this.  Of course it doesn't prevent them from telling their brother, cousin, or grandmother to pick whoever players.

If they made that information available to everyone, there would be no problems also.  But, I think that undermines the spirit of the game.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 01:54:12 pm »

I think they should offer that as a variation for some of the big (thousands of entrants) contests. Next to each player, have it not only show their price, but a running tally on what percentage of the entries have that player rostered. That definitely would motivate people to use a wider range of different players...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »

They do give out that information AFTER the games are played.  I think it goes against the spirit of the game because, in all, the game is about finding the Joseph Randles and Devonta Freeman's - the low-cost guys that will blow up.  If they showed the percentages, it levels the playing field between those with their eyes open and those without.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 09:04:03 pm »

How can you possibly know how good a player is going to do unless you have ESP lol

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:19:51 am »

How can you possibly know how good a player is going to do unless you have ESP lol

I don't know, how can you possibly know how good a stock will do on the stock market?  Roll Eyes

It's insider trading using insider information. It needs to be regulated and nobody in their right mind will trust these companies to regulate themselves.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:12:17 pm »

I understand the story long and short is you were always expected to lose money overall, but there was small chance of hitting it very big, with the insiders you will never hit a large jackpot

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »

^^^ not the point of this thread, there is another thread for this conversation.  However, you're still wrong.  To say "you'll never win" is false.  They have aggregate data based on predictions, not based on facts.  You can of course still win.  That guy has probably been playing for 2 years using that data and hit one time.  You mean to tell me that every week people win thousands and all of them are employees?  Doubtful.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:04:25 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

^^^ not the point of this thread, there is another thread for this conversation.  However, you're still wrong.  To say "you'll never win" is false.  They have aggregate data based on predictions, not based on facts.  You can of course still win.  That guy has probably been playing for 2 years using that data and hit one time.  You mean to tell me that every week people win thousands and all of them are employees?  Doubtful.

no that is not what I am saying, but these guys are taking  disproportionate amount of the winning pool, leaving less for the non inside winners, in a game that already takes a big cut.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:05:50 pm »

I can't speak for FanDuel, but Draft Kings appears to take 25% and pay out 75% of the "entry fees."  Considering they pay out 10 million + per week, it suggests these sites are making 3 million or so dollars every week.  Thanks to degenerate football-aholics like me.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 06:47:21 am »

great article to read up on this some more. Here is the most telling part below
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/millionaire-sports-gambler-explains-why-180100740.html

"The real issue is, that I think people don't realize, is the fact that the person who is tuning in and seeing these commercials, and signing up to play in these multi-tournaments, where the winner gets a million dollars, I think if they knew that they were going to enter maybe three, or four, or five entries, but a pro is going to enter 1,000 entries, they wouldn't think it was that exciting to enter these contests. I think that's the part where there is some impropriety.

If the actual casual viewer, watching these commercials and signing up, knew they weren't competing against other like-minded people like themselves, that they're competing against professionals who have algorithms and thousands and thousands of entries in all these tournaments, they would realize that their chances of winning are really not that good and it's really not as exciting as they think it is ... the pros are winning all the money and they are also entering all the contests.

It's a giant partnership between the pros and the sites, and the unsuspecting customers who are doing this for entertainment are literally getting fleeced."
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:33:57 am »

I read that article yesterday and it was a pretty good read. Since we have two guys playing, I'm curious if they even considered there were guys out there making that many entries. It was something I had thought about but I am an immediate skeptic usually and this was a main reason I didn't want to invest any money in the game.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:09 am »

I thought there was a cap on the number of entries you could have in any given contest?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 10:15:25 am »

I read that article yesterday and it was a pretty good read. Since we have two guys playing, I'm curious if they even considered there were guys out there making that many entries. It was something I had thought about but I am an immediate skeptic usually and this was a main reason I didn't want to invest any money in the game.

Same with me. Really the reason I have avoided playing. HBO Real Sports did a piece on this last year too that gave me reservations about playing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray