Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 03:23:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What were the Colts thinking?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What were the Colts thinking?  (Read 2084 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: October 18, 2015, 10:59:26 pm »

Were they just trying to give the game away?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:30:30 am »

That was just plain stupid.  There was not a permutation of this play in an alternate universe that could have ended successfully.  Why didn't the coaches call a time out after everybody was lined up?  I applaud the effort to catch NE sleeping, but it was covered too well to work, and probably cost them a decent chance of winning the game.

See, D4L, this is why you punt when the ball is in your own territory with lots of time to play.  You have to make the other team earn a score.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 02:02:14 am »

The "center" was not supposed to snap the ball.  You could see Pagano on the sideline after the play saying, "Why'd you snap the ball?"

The way the play was "supposed" to work is that they do all the hijinks, try to draw them offsides, take the delay of game penalty, and then punt.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 09:57:30 am »

The play was actually designed to create confusion on the defense that would allow them to run a fake punt or create a penalty or then as a last option take the delay of game. The problem is the team wasn't coached properly on such a gimmick play. To start with, the Colts were lined up in an illegal formation. Pagano and his special teams coordinator blew it with this one.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:04:54 am »

The "center" was not supposed to snap the ball.  You could see Pagano on the sideline after the play saying, "Why'd you snap the ball?"

The way the play was "supposed" to work is that they do all the hijinks, try to draw them offsides, take the delay of game penalty, and then punt.

You could tell the guy receiving the snap wasn't expecting it either.  He had a "holy crap" look on his face when it was snapped to him.  Grin
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:15:53 am »

If you're Chuck Pagano, you probably don't want to run a play that depends on your players being coached better than Bill Belichick's players.

Because your players are coached by Chuck Pagano.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:24:21 am »

^^^ Right. The Colts absolutely blew it and it was their own play which was designed. The Patriots were in complete reaction mode and looked as if they line up in similar instances every week of practice.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 11:31:26 am »

I don't think it was a simple "draw offsides" play, though that was certainly one possible outcome.  I think the center was supposed to make a read.  If the Patriots only put 1 man on the center instead of two (one on either side), it would've made sense to snap the ball and sneak, amid the confusion.

Bad read by the center.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 02:41:06 pm »

If you're Chuck Pagano, you probably don't want to run a play that depends on your players being coached better than Bill Belichick's players.

Because your players are coached by Chuck Pagano.

that might be true for 31 coaches.  Sometimes you can out coach BB but most of the time it won't work.  Play reminded me of the Steelers double reversal, you aren't going to beat ne on situational awareness,  only way to win is better execution,  which in both games was happening until the coach got too cute.  Colts were doing fine until the onside kick.  Steelers were doing fine until the reversal.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 03:07:00 pm »

that is my one of my favorite plays of all time....nothing is going to surpass the Sanchez butt fumble.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray