Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 06:01:25 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  You're the commissioner: Thursday Night Football
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: You're the commissioner: Thursday Night Football  (Read 8440 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 08:37:27 am »

Wait, what?

Why are you switching the premier game back to MNF (which is currently on cable)?  Making the premier game on Sunday night was the best move the NFL has done in decades.

Terrible move. It conflicts with Game of Thrones and now Westworld  Cool
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:52 am »

But any broadcast that can flex will almost always have better late-season matchups than the "premier game" the following night.  ARI @ CAR was considered a premier game at the start of this season, but it would be worthless now; meanwhile, a stinker between two teams with double-digit losses last year - DAL and NYG - is the best game on the slate this week.

My way, you get the best of both worlds.  MNF gets to anticipate the best matchup, so you'll get a lot of the teams that are nationally popular, like NE, Pitt, Dallas, Giants, etc.  And Sunday will flex into the best game based on standings and relevance to the league.  Win-win.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:20 am »

will never happen because FOX and CBS won't go for it. FOX and CBS pay so much money they have the ability to "block" or "hold onto " so many games per year. They aren't just gonna let NBC and ESPN take the best games every week and leave them with garbage.

In this fantasy, I'm the commissioner, so FOX and CBS can suck it.  But also, they show all the local games anyway to most media markets in the US.  They don't show the best matchup.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:09:06 am »

Phish earlier,said was I was going to say earlier,about the saturation,and money.

My captain obvious comment
I'm glad the flexing into Sunday night game,is being mentioned,it's part of the problem with All the night games (accept Sunday because of the flex).The greatest match up on paper when the schedule comes out HOF QB vs HOF Qb in week 7 on TNF,or MNF is that because of the nature of football (injuries,teams not near as good that year,etc).The match up becomes a dog of a 2nd string,and 3rd string Qb crappy game.

It's why I think it needs to be scaled back in some way.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 10:59:10 am »

In this fantasy, I'm the commissioner, so FOX and CBS can suck it.  But also, they show all the local games anyway to most media markets in the US.  They don't show the best matchup.

lol, they can suck it

I think you missed my point. CBS and FOX under the current plan can hold onto a certain amount of games. CBS has the AFC games. For example, NE plays Denver CBS can block NBC or ESPN from taking it. They want that big match-up of marquee games. FOX can block a Dallas-Washington game from being taken by NBC or ESPN. CBS and FOX can block so many games so they have a few marquee match-up's they can put on at 4pm for their double-header weeks.

Yes, YOUR local CBS may show a local game. But most of the country doesn't have a local team. If your in Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota...etc you get the national game as you don't have a local team you are hand-cuffed too. That's why FOX and CBS have that ability to hold onto so many games and not give them up.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 11:15:32 am »

I think you missed my point. CBS and FOX under the current plan can hold onto a certain amount of games.

And you missed Dave's, he would be the commissioner so what is current would not be under his plan.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 11:17:40 am »

And you missed Dave's, he would be the commissioner so what is current would not be under his plan.

No I didn't...lol. I understand its all make believe. But I am presenting a CURRENT FACT. I know in his world of make believe he can do what he wants,  but he stated something about local market games which isn't true in reality (not his make believe) that he stated.

Take a chill pill bro, Dave doesn't need a lawyer he can speak for himself.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:06 am »

I have Phish on retainer.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »

My way, you get the best of both worlds.  MNF gets to anticipate the best matchup, so you'll get a lot of the teams that are nationally popular, like NE, Pitt, Dallas, Giants, etc.  And Sunday will flex into the best game based on standings and relevance to the league.  Win-win.

So which one of these two games is on cable?  Or is ABC taking back MNF in your plan?

Let me reemphasize what I just said: the strategy of picking the projected best games before the season starts and playing them on Monday night has already failed.  It is THE EXACT REASON why SNF Flex games were created in the first place.

You have provided no explanation as to why we would not see a repeat of the poor ratings of MNF on ABC, especially late in the season.  They had to cancel the week 17 MNF slot because the games were so unwatchable and meaningless!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:21:27 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 02:45:43 pm »

So which one of these two games is on cable?  Or is ABC taking back MNF in your plan?

Sure.  ABC can have it.  Whatever. 

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray