Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:26:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Will Eli be a Hall of Famer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Will Eli be a Hall of Famer?  (Read 3977 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: February 19, 2020, 01:22:28 pm »

I.. John Elway and Eli Manning. Both are HOF players

Both are superbowl winning. Not certain if both are HOF
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:26:46 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 01:27:33 pm »

Both are superbowl winning. Not certain if both are HOF
I've heard a few of the voters speak about this and they seemed to think he will get in fairly easily. People are in the HOF for many reasons and there is no doubt his post season history is enough to get him there. Whether or not he meets a few fans' criteria will not matter.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 02:39:16 pm »

I've heard a few of the voters speak about this and they seemed to think he will get in fairly easily. People are in the HOF for many reasons and there is no doubt his post season history is enough to get him there. Whether or not he meets a few fans' criteria will not matter.

I am not saying he definitely won’t get in, but he is hardly a slam dunk.  I have mixed feelings about him getting in.  There are solid arguments for and against. 

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:43:19 pm »

I am not saying he definitely won’t get in, but he is hardly a slam dunk.  I have mixed feelings about him getting in.  There are solid arguments for and against. 

He is very polarizing. He has had some great years and some bad years. Certainly not on the level of his brother but he passes the longevity and playoff test for HoF. I don't think there is a wrong answer when it comes to him.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 02:51:13 pm »

As much as I love Eli being Patriot kryptonite, he shouldn't be in the HoF.  His stats aren't HoF worthy.  There are other QBs with 2 SB wins that aren't in.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:38:46 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 03:55:12 pm »

He beat the Patriots twice in the Superbowl. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall. It's good enough for me. Quit being butthurt about it. LOL

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 05:18:15 pm »

He beat the Patriots twice in the Superbowl. That alone should be enough to get him into the Hall. It's good enough for me. Quit being butthurt about it. LOL

Two games are literally his whole HOF argument.  Overall he was a quite mediocre QB.  But Joe Namoth got in despite a fairly average career because of one   game.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 05:30:01 pm »

Two games are literally his whole HOF argument.  Overall he was a quite mediocre QB.  But Joe Namoth got in despite a fairly average career because of one   game.
He could also get in for his ironman consecutive starts ala the Cal Ripken.
For me I think Michael Irvin nails it with these lines ... He made a HUGE play in two separate Super Bowl games, and both plays ultimately led to Giants victories. Eli had ice in his veins with the game on the line, making some of the best plays in Super Bowl history. His two passes to David Tyree and Mario Manningham will be shown every time the Super Bowl is mentioned.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 05:57:56 pm »

He could also get in for his ironman consecutive starts ala the Cal Ripken.
For me I think Michael Irvin nails it with these lines ... He made a HUGE play in two separate Super Bowl games, and both plays ultimately led to Giants victories. Eli had ice in his veins with the game on the line, making some of the best plays in Super Bowl history. His two passes to David Tyree and Mario Manningham will be shown every time the Super Bowl is mentioned.

But if you extend that logic David Tyree belongs in the Hof.  That play was more the catch than the throw.  And of the 2 SBs that was the more significant one,  Not much of a career but a historic super bowl play. 

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »

» Two-time Super Bowl champion
» Two-time Super Bowl MVP
» Four-time Pro Bowler
» Ranks seventh in NFL history with 57,023 passing yards
» Ranks seventh in NFL history with 366 passing TDs
» Third-most consecutive starts by a QB (210) in the NFL
» 2016 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year

The above certainly doesn't seem like 2 games is his whole HOF career, those 2 games just topped off his career. Without those games he's not hall of fame material, but with them, he is. I'm not saying he's a slam dunk or anything, but he's certainly a legitimate candidate.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 08:48:43 pm »

As much as I love Eli being Patriot kryptonite, he shouldn't be in the HoF.  His stats aren't HoF worthy.  There are other QBs with 2 SB wins that aren't in.
2 Superbowl MVP's? There's 1 other QB with 2 SB wins who's not in the hall and there's debate on whether or not he should be in the Hall and Eli's career was better.

I wish you people would make up your mind. Zach's not a HOF because he never won a championship. Eli's not because all he did is win 2 MVP's in Superbowls?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:26:37 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 11:08:27 pm »

» Two-time Super Bowl champion
» Two-time Super Bowl MVP
» Four-time Pro Bowler
» Ranks seventh in NFL history with 57,023 passing yards
» Ranks seventh in NFL history with 366 passing TDs
» Third-most consecutive starts by a QB (210) in the NFL
» 2016 NFL Walter Payton Man of the Year

The above certainly doesn't seem like 2 games is his whole HOF career, those 2 games just topped off his career. Without those games he's not hall of fame material, but with them, he is. I'm not saying he's a slam dunk or anything, but he's certainly a legitimate candidate.

That's actually a pretty impressive CV, probably much better than quite a few current HOF Quarterbacks. He has to be a near certainty to get in (although he may have to wait a few years from first being eligible).

Ben Roethlisberger will be another interesting one, if anything he's even more polarizing when you add in his off-field indiscretions.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 11:55:41 pm »

I agree.   Eli is not Hall of Fame material.   To quote one of our mods.

It is not the "Hall of good." 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 12:19:56 am »

It's not the "Hall of Best," either.  It's the Hall of Fame.

If you think a 2-time Super Bowl MVP, who got those MVPs by beating The Greatest QB Ever Tom Brady, and oh by the way, happens to play for the senior team in the biggest media market in the country... if you think he's not going to be voted into the Hall of Fame, you're deluding yourself.

I'm going to throw out a blanket statement here: if you are the recognized leader of a New York City team that wins multiple championships in a major sport, YOU WILL BE VOTED INTO THE HALL OF FAME.

I challenge anyone to prove otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:29:27 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 07:39:58 am »

2 Superbowl MVP's? There's 1 other QB with 2 SB wins who's not in the hall and there's debate on whether or not he should be in the Hall and Eli's career was better.

I wish you people would make up your mind. Zach's not a HOF because he never won a championship. Eli's not because all he did is win 2 MVP's in Superbowls?
I'm not one of those people, Zach is a HoF player and it's a shame he didn't get in.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray