Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 10:34:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Sam Darnold the Starter per Jets WR
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Sam Darnold the Starter per Jets WR  (Read 4195 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: March 23, 2021, 01:21:07 pm »

This is interesting and I expect the team and player to downplay it rather quickly. Corey Davis just signed with the Jets as a WR and he said "Obviously, I'm coming with my understanding that Sam is the guy," Davis told reporters. "That doesn't scare me away at all. I've seen Sam do great things and I have all the belief in him. Whatever direction they decide to go, it's on me to make sure that I'm ready."

I bet they wish he didn't say that as it hurts their leverage with trading away the #2 pick since people assume they are drafting a QB. If they aren't drafting a QB, then Miami has the pick that QB needy teams want. IMO, it would be really dumb for the Jets to stick with Darnold but very beneficial for us so I hope to hear a WR's name called for the #2 pick on draft night. Then, open the bidding. I know Sam has only been in the league for 2 years and is young but he never showed anything that makes you think he is the franchise QB.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2021, 01:28:05 pm »

I don't know that teams share their draft plans with players so I'm guessing no other team is too excited by his words. If they were going to draft someone and trade Darnold I find it hard to believe they would have told him that.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2021, 02:03:28 pm »

I don't know that teams share their draft plans with players so I'm guessing no other team is too excited by his words. If they were going to draft someone and trade Darnold I find it hard to believe they would have told him that.

He was a free agent at the time so I am sure he asked who would be throwing him the ball. Terrible QB usually means terrible WR numbers. If he was already on the roster, 0% chance they tell him who the QB will be.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 03:45:49 pm »

He was a free agent at the time so I am sure he asked who would be throwing him the ball. Terrible QB usually means terrible WR numbers. If he was already on the roster, 0% chance they tell him who the QB will be.

Reread what he said.  He doesn’t know anything, he is just being a good teammate.  Consider the alternative statement, “of course I expect the Jets to use the number #2 pick to draft a QB”.

If the Jets draft a QB Davis’s words won’t haunt him.  Had he said anything else, and the Jets don’t draft a QB he has a major problem.  Right now he expects Darnold to be the QB and has full confidence in him.  I am pretty sure any Patriots WR will tell you they are looking forward to another season with Newton. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 03:52:25 pm »

Reread what he said.  He doesn’t know anything, he is just being a good teammate.  Consider the alternative statement, “of course I expect the Jets to use the number #2 pick to draft a QB”.

If the Jets draft a QB Davis’s words won’t haunt him.  Had he said anything else, and the Jets don’t draft a QB he has a major problem.  Right now he expects Darnold to be the QB and has full confidence in him.  I am pretty sure any Patriots WR will tell you they are looking forward to another season with Newton. 

I can see that being true, but the team still wouldn't want him to say anything to hurt their negotiating power. At least a few GMs will read into this and adjust their trade strategies accordingly. A million things can happen from now until Draft night but I don't think you will see another comment like this about Darnold unil the draft is over.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 04:29:44 pm »

least a few GMs will read into this and adjust their trade strategies accordingly.

No they won’t.  If they want the number #2 pick they will trade for it.  If they don’t, they won’t.  A WR saying he is happy with the current QB doesn’t change the value of the pick.  And if the Jets are in love with a guy at #2 the pick isn’t on the market.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 05:21:55 pm »

It could be they are doing damage control.  They know that they are going to draft one of the QB's the Jaguars don't with the #2 pick and want to take the pressure off that young man.

Reminds me of a similar situation with Bill Parcells when he became the Patriots coach.  He had the #1 overall pick and used it to draft Drew Bledsoe.  Immediately after that pick, season ticket sales started to spike.  Parcells proceeded to tell the media that "he wouldn't play until he was ready" and referred to Bledsoe as a "good, young, backup QB"
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 07:28:33 pm »

IMO Darnold hasn't been given a fair shot; he had no one good to throw the ball to last year.  The coaching sucked.  The rest of the roster was below average.  The GM wouldn't pay anyone last year, so players fled.  For the Jets to draft a QB, when the team has so many other problems, would be just plain stupid.  They could draft Trevor Lawrence and he would have trouble doing anything.  I'm worried the Jets will take Sewell.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 09:37:57 pm »

IMO Darnold hasn't been given a fair shot; he had no one good to throw the ball to last year.  The coaching sucked.  The rest of the roster was below average.  The GM wouldn't pay anyone last year, so players fled.  For the Jets to draft a QB, when the team has so many other problems, would be just plain stupid.  They could draft Trevor Lawrence and he would have trouble doing anything.  I'm worried the Jets will take Sewell.
Hypothetical question. The one in a million chance that Trevor Lawrence is still on the board when #3 pick rolls around. Do we take him? That would be an entertaining situation, haha.

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2021, 08:31:25 am »

Hypothetical question. The one in a million chance that Trevor Lawrence is still on the board when #3 pick rolls around. Do we take him? That would be an entertaining situation, haha.

Only if you can get a team to trade a lower first rounder for Tua.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2021, 08:58:17 am »

I honestly don't know but it wouldn't be that simple because if he fell to 3, then something is wrong and we would need to know what. If both the Jags and Jets are just stupid, I would probably draft him and trade Tua to the Eagles or Panthers for their pick right now.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2021, 09:13:31 am »

The chance of Lawrence sliding to #3 overall is about the same as the chance of Pennei Sewell falling to round two.

Hey...maybe Miami can get them both?

Yeah, that's the ticket!!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 09:17:24 am »

The chance of Lawrence sliding to #3 overall is about the same as the chance of Pennei Sewell falling to round two.

Hey...maybe Miami can get them both?

Yeah, that's the ticket!!

Lawrence falling to 3 would require some brutal injury or he was seen doing coke with Isaiah Wilson while renouncing Jesus. Even then, the Jets would take him.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 01:06:51 pm »

I think you would have to take him.  But as others have said, that possibility is extremely unlikely.  No way both the Jags and Jets don't take him, nor trade their spot to another team that wants him.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 01:16:02 pm »

I think you would have to take him.  But as others have said, that possibility is extremely unlikely.  No way both the Jags and Jets don't take him, nor trade their spot to another team that wants him.
Yeah, just an interesting "what if". What would Miami do? Like I said, one in a million chance of that happening

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray