Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 03:21:34 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Ja'Marr Chase Stats Through 7 Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Ja'Marr Chase Stats Through 7 Games  (Read 3091 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2021, 11:08:09 am »

I went into the last draft wanting Miami to grab one of 3 players, Chase, Pitts or Penei Sewell.  No disrespect to Waddle, but I'd take any of those three in a heartbeat.

Had the Dolphins grabbed Sewell at 6 and Najee Harris at 18 (who is blowing up in Pittsburgh), this team might be looking much different offensively.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2021, 11:26:05 am »

Had the Dolphins grabbed Sewell at 6 and Najee Harris at 18 (who is blowing up in Pittsburgh), this team might be looking much different offensively.

Gaskin is doing just fine when he does get the ball despite having no O-Line, he isn't the issue. The line and the 3 games with Jacoby are/were the issue. Also, a head coach who doesn't know who his best players are is also the issue.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2021, 11:49:55 am »

The issue offensively in my opinion is three things:  1) the nearly four games with an inadequate QB, 2) the weak link of Austin Jackson on the offensive line -- research shows that one extremely poor player on the offensive line has more of an effect on the line as a whole than does the presence of very good players on the line, and 3) the unreliability of the receiving corps, i.e., Parker and Fuller's histories of unavailability, which is again the case for them this season.

Have Tua start the remaining games, remove Jackson from the offensive line, and have Parker and Fuller available and playing at their maximal levels and you have a totally different animal out there.  I don't think it'll parallel the league's best offenses, because Tua hasn't yet developed to that level (and may never), but it'd be worlds better than what was exhibited through the first six games.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2021, 02:07:21 pm »

3) the unreliability of the receiving corps, i.e., Parker and Fuller's histories of unavailability, which is again the case for them this season.
Add Preston Williams to that list.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2021, 02:49:40 pm »

^^^ Yes. Everyone not named Waddle needs to be replaced and Gisicki needs a new contract.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2021, 03:07:08 pm »

^^^ Yes. Everyone not named Waddle needs to be replaced and Gisicki needs a new contract.

100%. Our great WR depth was destroyed within 2 games. Parker when healthy can be very good but he is made of glass and needs to be the third option, not #1. Hopefully Hunter Long can amount to something so we have a two headed TE attack. Everyone else should be traded now for whatever we can get for them. That's not bitterness or overreacting, just common sense. Dumping Wilson for a 2029 7th rounder to a team ravaged by WR injuries is better than nothing if he isn't in our future plans.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2021, 03:26:52 pm »

I'd keep Hollins. I'd also probably put Laird back into the lineup and replace one of the other two starters not named Gaskin.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2021, 03:36:22 pm »

I'd keep Hollins. I'd also probably put Laird back into the lineup and replace one of the other two starters not named Gaskin.
I like Brown, keep him. I'm not impressed with Ahmed.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2021, 03:47:00 pm »

1) the nearly four games with an inadequate QB
You can't really fault Jacoby. He played as well as could be expected. Miami wasn't gonna win against Buffalo or TB and the 2 other games he played well enough to win those games, the problem is that he had zero help.

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2021, 03:49:43 pm »

You can't really fault Jacoby. He played as well as could be expected. Miami wasn't gonna win against Buffalo or TB and the 2 other games he played well enough to win those games, the problem is that he had zero help.

I agree.  Guys usually aren't backup QBs if they are superstars.  If there isn't a significant dropoff between your starting QB and your backup QB that probably means that your starter isn't very good. 
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2021, 04:08:34 pm »

Historically there is no evidence that Jacoby Brissett is only "help" away from being an adequate QB.  He's now on his third team and has had multiple head coaches, offensive coordinators, and groups of surrounding players, including two years as a full-time starter, and he's never sustained an even average level of play in the league.  I'm certainly not saying he was surrounded by anything special in his starts with Miami this year, but in all likelihood even the best help wouldn't have propelled him above an average level of play.  He was a third-round pick for a reason, at a position where the best players in every draft are taken in the top five overall, very often by teams trading up to get them.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2021, 04:22:17 pm »

Historically there is no evidence that Jacoby Brissett is only "help" away from being an adequate QB.  He's now on his third team and has had multiple head coaches, offensive coordinators, and groups of surrounding players, including two years as a full-time starter, and he's never sustained an even average level of play in the league.  I'm certainly not saying he was surrounded by anything special in his starts with Miami this year, but in all likelihood even the best help wouldn't have propelled him above an average level of play.  He was a third-round pick for a reason, at a position where the best players in every draft are taken in the top five overall, very often by teams trading up to get them.
What does "historically" have to do with anything? I'm just looking at the way he played over the 2 games that Miami had a realistic chance of winning. He didn't play poorly, he played OK. Remember that he was strapped by the same offensive calling that hindered Tua in the 1st game of the season. It wasn't until the 4th quarter of the Indy game that Miami coaches FINALLY said "What have we got to lose, let him throw the ball downfield" and when they did that Brisset actually started looking pretty darn good. Brisset wasn't the problem in either of those games, it was the porous defense, the suspect play calling and the myriad of mental and physical mistakes that everyone around them has been making this whole season. It cost them both of those games and it cost them both of the last 2 games that Miami has lost where QB play has not been the main issue.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 04:27:12 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2021, 04:26:41 pm »

Bullshit, he had guys wide open down field and he continued to throw to the checkdown.  It was only after being behind and having to chuck in downfield did he change that.  Brissett is not okay, he's terrible, and has a bad attitude too.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2021, 04:45:13 pm »

What does "historically" have to do with anything? I'm just looking at the way he played over the 2 games that Miami had a realistic chance of winning. He didn't play poorly, he played OK. Remember that he was strapped by the same offensive calling that hindered Tua in the 1st game of the season. It wasn't until the 4th quarter of the Indy game that Miami coaches FINALLY said "What have we got to lose, let him throw the ball downfield" and when they did that Brisset actually started looking pretty darn good. Brisset wasn't the problem in either of those games, it was the porous defense and the myriad of mental and physical mistakes that everyone around them has been making this whole season. It cost them both of those games and it cost them both of the last 2 games that Miami has lost where QB play has not been the main issue.

Brissett didn't play significantly better or worse during that stretch of games than he has in the average four-game stretch in his career.  That's what "historically" has to do with it -- it indicates that across multiple sets of surroundings, including the ones this year, he's played in the same manner.  That means his performance is attributable to him.

The Dolphins averaged 15.5 points per game in the games he played.  When a mere 16 points can beat you on average, your offense is certainly a big part of the problem, and when you're using a historically inadequate quarterback who's playing no better than he usually does, certainly the finger should be pointed at him first off.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2021, 04:58:51 pm »

Bullshit, he had guys wide open down field and he continued to throw to the checkdown.  It was only after being behind and having to chuck in downfield did he change that.  Brissett is not okay, he's terrible, and has a bad attitude too.
I'd tell you to go watch the game again, but I don't think that would do any good, I think you have already made up your mind. Brisset did not check the ball down much in that game, he was looking downfield the entire game. He did make 1 bad mistake which was a fumble in the 4th quarter when they were already down by 2 TD's and he was trying to do too much.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray