Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 06:11:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  The price of Super Bowl tickets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The price of Super Bowl tickets  (Read 1898 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: February 02, 2022, 01:39:35 pm »

Damn, this is crazy.   I'd either have to sell my house or sell my business to afford a pair of good seats.   And I for sure ain't doing that, even in the unlikely event that the Dolphins make it sometime before I die.

https://twitter.com/sportsguymarv/status/1488194759260872708

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 08:12:13 pm »

The NFL could crack down on the scalping of SB tickets if they wanted to, they just don't want to; which is too bad.

Out of curiosity I looked up how tickets are sold and found: Approx 75% go to teams, then 25% goes to Media, Partners, and Sponsors, with a very small amount then going to the public which are bought up by ticket brokers in advance.  So there is no way for the average person to have any chance of buying a ticket at face value.

It seems if they really cared about the fans they would allocate at least 10% to Fan purchase and make them non-transferrable.  They could have a lottery for the tickets just like the Masters Golf Tournament does.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 08:54:28 am »

The NFL could crack down on the scalping of SB tickets if they wanted to, they just don't want to; which is too bad.

Out of curiosity I looked up how tickets are sold and found: Approx 75% go to teams, then 25% goes to Media, Partners, and Sponsors, with a very small amount then going to the public which are bought up by ticket brokers in advance.  So there is no way for the average person to have any chance of buying a ticket at face value.

It seems if they really cared about the fans they would allocate at least 10% to Fan purchase and make them non-transferrable.  They could have a lottery for the tickets just like the Masters Golf Tournament does.

0.2% of tickets are sold to ticket brokers.
17.5% go to each conference champ.
5% go to the hosting team
39.8% go to the 29 non-SB, non-hosting teams.

When the hosting team makes it to the SB, they do not get to double-dip (at least the Bucs didn't).

Not sure about the hosting team, but the conference champs do use a lottery system among season ticket holders:

Recent examples:

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/eagles/super-bowl-tickets-eagles-patriots-minnesota-20180121.html
https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-01-31/super-bowl-ticket-prices-rams-bengals-sofi-stadium
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 09:27:59 am »

Most of the scalped tickets originally were sold to fans of conf champs at face value thru the lottery system.  It not like no fans get a crack at face value.  But sometimes the lottery winners decide selling and watching from home is worth retiring two years earlier. 

i know a Patriots season ticket who won the lottery he sold his 2 tickets for the same price as 3 years of 4 season tickets.  Most years he attends 5-6 games per year by selling a couple of games, particularly playoff games pay well. He figures he basically has broken even over the last 30 years seeing a little more than half the Patriots home games for free.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 12:30:56 pm »

I think this is bad and I wish they'd fix it.

If you're a season ticket holder for one of the teams, you should be able to buy a super bowl ticket at a reasonable rate.  It's bullshit otherwise.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 12:37:34 pm »

I don't understand wanting to walk into that mess anyway. The security you have to deal with sucks. Let me enjoy the game at home where we can eat and drink reasonably as well as get a far superior view.
stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:39:07 pm »

I don't understand wanting to walk into that mess anyway. The security you have to deal with sucks. Let me enjoy the game at home where we can eat and drink reasonably as well as get a far superior view.
Yes. Football is much better watched on TV than in person.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 03:07:31 pm »

If you're a season ticket holder for one of the teams, you should be able to buy a super bowl ticket at a reasonable rate.  It's bullshit otherwise.

That is not possible.  Season ticket holders  of both teams exceeds number of seats.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 03:37:36 pm »

The number of season ticket holders for both teams exceeds the number of seats in the stadium.  That's why they have to do a lottery type drawing for who can be eligible to purchase Super Bowl tickets.   

Plus, if you could sell your tickets for enough money to buy a new car and then enjoy the game in the comfort of your own home paying far less for food and drink and no travel expenses, would you do it?

I certainly would.   
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 04:18:13 pm »

I agree with this. It's really sad that most of their biggest fans can't afford to watch their team play in the Super Bowl.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 08:30:35 pm »

Most of the scalped tickets originally were sold to fans of conf champs at face value thru the lottery system.  It not like no fans get a crack at face value.  But sometimes the lottery winners decide selling and watching from home is worth retiring two years earlier. 

i know a Patriots season ticket who won the lottery he sold his 2 tickets for the same price as 3 years of 4 season tickets.  Most years he attends 5-6 games per year by selling a couple of games, particularly playoff games pay well. He figures he basically has broken even over the last 30 years seeing a little more than half the Patriots home games for free.

And that's what's wrong in my opinion.  If you were awarded a ticket(s) you should either have to go to the game or return them if you are unable.  You shouldn't be allowed to scalp them for ungodly amounts of money.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 08:43:34 pm »

And that's what's wrong in my opinion.  If you were awarded a ticket(s) you should either have to go to the game or return them if you are unable.  You shouldn't be allowed to scalp them for ungodly amounts of money.
Yep, that should be a given

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2022, 10:47:31 am »

There are ways to tie a ticket to a person, if they cared to do so.

The game should be primarily filled with season ticket holders from both teams.  Some people couldn't afford the travel or time away....some may miss out on a lottery or based on seniority or whatever method they decide.

But the Super Bowl being a showcase of rich people and celebrities is super shitty.  There is a simply solution for it -- they just don't care.

Also, I don't know if this is true, but let's just say that just about all of the tickets went to season ticket holders?  I don't think that tickets would cost $6000.  First off, if it wasn't a celebrity jerkoff, celebrities probably wouldn't be going.  It wouldn't be the same hot ticket.  But also, the market would work that out.  You would have SOOOOOOO many more tickets on the market that the price would come down and it would level out.  Right now, there's so many fans of the teams that want to go, but a super limited number of tickets because so much of it is for corporate guys.

I had NBA tickets and ended up going to a few finals games when the HEAT won the title.  I sold some and went to some.  And they were expensive seats, but not insane.  We were selling for about $250 a seat.  ...even if it were 10x as expensive, that's still somewhat doable for a wealthy fan....not this $6500 craziness.  My point in all this is that it would be a better solution than it is now.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray