Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 06:03:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Getting the NFL and College Football on the same page
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Getting the NFL and College Football on the same page  (Read 1075 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: February 16, 2022, 02:02:38 pm »

I've been in a heated discussion with some fellow Hurricanes fans on Canesport as to changes to the college football rules and how they would help speed up the game and be good for the sport overall.   A lot of people are coming up with different suggestions but I think that the NFL and college football need to be on the same page regarding rules for the purpose of player adaptation.   If you could change the rules to fit both leagues, how would you do it?

Here's my proposed list:

College Football being more like the NFL:

- No more ejections for targeting. Make helmet to helmet contact a 15 yard personal foul penalty
- No more stopping the clock after a first down. Instead add a two minute warning at the end of each half
- A player must get both feet in bounds on a sideline reception
- If a player catches or picks off a pass and goes down without being touched, they may get up and run

The NFL being more like College Football:

- 15 yard penalty for pass interference as opposed to a spot foul
- Holding in the end zone is treated like a normal holding penalty (no automatic safety)
- Blocked PAT can be run back for two points
- Kansas Tiebreaker OT but because the NFL has better talent, especially kicking talent, play starts at the 30 yard line and only two point conversions are allowed after TD's
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 01:08:47 pm by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 02:26:07 pm »

I think that pass interference should be neither 15, nor spot of the foul.  Both of those have issues.  I think that there probably needs to be two penalties like there is for roughing/running into the kicker.  Tackling a guy from behind who is about to burn you deep for a TD is akin to a "clear path violation" in the NBA is different than a defender getting there a step too early on a crossing route.

I don't care for the college OT.  I think it inflates scores, throws off stats, and dismisses the importance of full-field defense and special teams.  I think that the NFL version is fine, for the most part.   Perhaps give both teams a chance to answer on a TD drive, just to take the coin toss importance out.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 02:47:06 pm »

They don't need to be on the same page. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 11:19:06 pm »

They don't need to be on the same page. 

You beat me to it. No major sport in the US is on the same page.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray