Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 12:30:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Watson to the Browns.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Watson to the Browns.  (Read 20815 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2022, 01:14:13 pm »

Getting robbed by a mechanic is far easier to do than getting raped by a famous QB in a massage parlor. It's not even comparable.

Just the opposite.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2022, 06:27:45 am »

Mike Florio reports that there is language in the Watson contract that can allow them to void the whole thing if he gets suspended. Now, I imagine the team knows that he will likely get some type of suspension, but this appears to be in case he is suspended for a year or maybe more.

They (PFT) apparently got hold of the full contact which stipulated that “solely in connection with matters disclosed to Club in writing pursuant to paragraph 42 and such suspension results in Player’s unavailability to Club solely for games during the 2022 or 2023 NFL League Years.”

So, basically, the Browns are only on the hook if it's something they knew about and doesn't reach beyond the 2023 NFL year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2022, 08:58:16 am »

Watson is the best thing the Dolphins have ever lost out on. Words just can't express how excited I am that we are not in the middle of this shit show!!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2022, 10:54:32 am »

Watson is the best thing the Dolphins have ever lost out on. Words just can't express how excited I am that we are not in the middle of this shit show!!

I agree 100%.

What a nightmare scenario.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2022, 01:50:03 pm »

I could see the NFL rationalizing that he has already sat out a season, as a reason not to suspend him from anymore games.

As for not prosecuting him, it makes it tough on prosecutors to win cases when all the victims are suing for monetary damages - the defense cross examines all the witnesses' and points out that they are all suing for millions and they lose most of their credibility if there aren't any tangible pieces of evidence.

It was a paid vacation, not a punishment.  The fact 24 unique women have all accused him is evidence *he* is lying.  There is a 2% chance an allegation of sexual assault being false.  If multiple woman are all accusing ya of sexual assault then you done something wrong.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2022, 03:14:43 pm »

Washington Post reporter is saying that the NFL is seeking a significant suspension of at least a year. The reporter also spoke with someone on Watson's side and said they also expect the NFL to hand down a year long suspension. Watson would obviously fight this and I don't know what it means for his contract status with the Browns. They might be legally allowed to void the whole thing, but then they just wasted a shitload of valuable draft picks for nothing.

Could also be why Baker Mayfield is still around, as insurance.

Either way, the league allegedly wants all the appeals wrapped up before August so I guess in 2 weeks or so we should see the NFL's ruling.
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2022, 03:39:25 pm »

Washington Post reporter is saying that the NFL is seeking a significant suspension of at least a year. The reporter also spoke with someone on Watson's side and said they also expect the NFL to hand down a year long suspension. Watson would obviously fight this and I don't know what it means for his contract status with the Browns. They might be legally allowed to void the whole thing, but then they just wasted a shitload of valuable draft picks for nothing.

Could also be why Baker Mayfield is still around, as insurance.

Either way, the league allegedly wants all the appeals wrapped up before August so I guess in 2 weeks or so we should see the NFL's ruling.

Like I said earlier in this thread.   No one is worth the guaranteed money Watson received. 

If the Browns can legally void the contract and they do so, they've thrown away draft picks.  And if they decide to keep Watson but he gets suspended for a long time, they've lost out anyway.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

A lot of owners will look back on this and be very hesitant to hand over a high amount of guaranteed money going forward.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2022, 04:39:43 pm »

Watson has settled all but 4 lawsuits as of today. The 4 are represented by the same lawyer so they will probably be settled unless they think they are getting millions. In situations like this, only the lawyer is really going to get paid.

It's an interesting dynamic because does this mean no more people will file lawsuits against him? If not, doesn't that seem a bit odd?

Lots of things to play out, including the NFL's decision. Seems like settling is going to hurt him suspension wise, but maybe they cut a deal where they told him to get it out of the press and only get 8 games or so.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2022, 08:29:07 am »

The biggest tell in this whole story is Watson still maintains he has no regrets about how he acted. That dude needs some friends. No way my buddies wouldn't be killing me over something like this.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2022, 08:38:58 am »

The biggest tell in this whole story is Watson still maintains he has no regrets about how he acted. That dude needs some friends. No way my buddies wouldn't be killing me over something like this.

Well, what choice does he have? He either denies it due to his innocence or not wanting to admit guilt, or he apologizes and basically admits to sexually assaulting or acting inappropriately with 28 women. If he apologizes, he's suspended for at least a year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2022, 09:18:18 am »

Well, what choice does he have? He either denies it due to his innocence or not wanting to admit guilt, or he apologizes and basically admits to sexually assaulting or acting inappropriately with 28 women. If he apologizes, he's suspended for at least a year.
You can apoligize without admitting fault. "I regret the situaiion we find ourselves in and I'm sorry that my actions somehow made these women feel uncomfortable but that was never my intention. Going forward I will make sure I act in a professional manner so that nothing can be miscontrued etc ... " Obviously it can be much better than that but you get my dift. Here it is years into this and he still acts like he is the victim.  He said he has no regrets about any of his actions but admitted that he does regret the impact the allegations have had on the people around him.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2022, 10:12:04 am »

You can apoligize without admitting fault. "I regret the situaiion we find ourselves in and I'm sorry that my actions somehow made these women feel uncomfortable but that was never my intention. Going forward I will make sure I act in a professional manner so that nothing can be miscontrued etc ... " Obviously it can be much better than that but you get my dift. Here it is years into this and he still acts like he is the victim.  He said he has no regrets about any of his actions but admitted that he does regret the impact the allegations have had on the people around him.

Yeah, his answer is the best one for his career and that's why he went with it. If he takes ANY responsibility, then he looks 100% guilty and gives the NFL the opportunity to suspend him for at least a year without facing backlash. If he denies everything, then it's a risk for the NFL to suspend a black man the whole season with no conviction or admission of guilt.

It's all PR at this point for both sides.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2022, 11:51:25 am »

"I have no regrets" is definitely not the best answer for his career.  CF's answer is much better; you can say "I'm sorry they feel this way," "I'm sorry they got the wrong impression," or any of the other common non-apology apologies.  You shouldn't be out there saying the equivalent of I'd do it all again if I could.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2022, 12:24:23 pm »

"I have no regrets" is definitely not the best answer for his career.  CF's answer is much better; you can say "I'm sorry they feel this way," "I'm sorry they got the wrong impression," or any of the other common non-apology apologies.  You shouldn't be out there saying the equivalent of I'd do it all again if I could.

Maybe I need to hear his words and judge the tone. To me, "I have no regrets" means "I did nothing wrong that I should be remorseful for". If he says he has no regrets AND offers a fake apology, then it looks bad.

Of course, at this point he should just shut up and let his lawyer issue statements when needed.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2022, 04:49:32 pm »

Maybe I need to hear his words and judge the tone. To me, "I have no regrets" means "I did nothing wrong that I should be remorseful for". If he says he has no regrets AND offers a fake apology, then it looks bad.

Of course, at this point he should just shut up and let his lawyer issue statements when needed.
No, I take it like Spider said. It sounds exactly like he wouldn't change a thing.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray