Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 05:43:58 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Liz Cheney for Prez 2024?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Liz Cheney for Prez 2024?  (Read 2281 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: August 09, 2022, 12:24:43 pm »

I think she has already decided to run.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/09/media/liz-cheney-fox-news-ad-spots/index.html

She is buying ad time on the national network.  While it is smart of her to buy ad space that will be seen by likely Republican primary voters, but she could probably buy spots from the local cable providers to run during the same time frame for about a hundredth the cost as showing it to a national basis.  If the goal is to retain her house seat this is not an effective use of campaign funds.  OTOH, if her goal is to increase her national standing with Republicans that are dissatisfied with the Trumpifcation of the GOP and independents this a brilliant ad. 

Obviously Trump is running as DeSantos and other Trump wantabes.  But in addition to the MAGA wing there will also be a MRSA* wing. Liz could appeal to conservatives that became Republican's they support smaller government, lower taxes, strong national defense and family values, but also know that election denial was a scam, Trump botched the COVID response, cheating on your wife with a hooker is family values, that Christian faith means more than holding a bible upside down in front of a church, who don't want a useless wall and whose respect for the miliary includes honoring both Capt. Humayun Khan and Capt. John McCain both of whom served their country honorably and were mocked by the MAGA wing.  Also if Biden runs for reelection and is unopposed in the primary (very likely) she could get considerable crossover support in the primary in states with open primaries.   

*Make Republicans Sane Again.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 01:37:09 pm »

She can't run as a Republican - she won't even win her own House primary, much less a presidential one - but I fully support and endorse a third-party run for Liz Cheney.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 03:41:26 pm »

She can't run as a Republican - she won't even win her own House primary, much less a presidential one - but I fully support and endorse a third-party run for Liz Cheney.
You are correct about her. She and her Daddy has few Republican friends left.  Lol ...  A third party run only for her because she would take the fringe and rhino republicans away. I'm guessing you wouldn't support Berne running third party.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 04:25:29 pm »

I was merely predicting she would run for president.  Not that she would become president or even win the nomination.  Nor was it a prediction about her house seat.

But as for her house seat, I will be surprised if she win the primary.  However, I would be LESS surprised then I was that Kansas voted to keep abortion legal.  Polls say she is going to lose, but the polls are only polling "likely Republican voters"  Likely Republican voters are Republicans who regularly participate in primary races.   If she wins it will be from people outside that group.

Earliest indication we will have if she has a chance of winning will be the participation numbers in the democratic primary.  If they are normal she loses.  However, if participation in the democratic primary is historically low, coupled with very high turnout in areas Biden won and report of much higher than usual number of people doing same day switching of parties. Liz Cheney can win but only if democrats decided to become republican for a day and independents are motivated to vote in the primary. 

As for winning the Republican nomination for prez.  That is a much harder road.  Multiple things would have to happen:  (1) No clear heir for the Maga-wing.  E.g. Desantos, Abbot, Hawley, Stefanik, Pence. Candace Owens and Ivanka Trump all fighting for the same group MAGA voters; (2) Liz having the no competitors for the non-maga wing.  E.g. Adam Kinzinger, Charlie Baker, Lincoln Chaffee, Mitt Romeney, John Kasich, Jeb Bush and Bill Weld etc.  All decline to run and endorse Liz Cheney.  (3) Biden runs for reelection and nobody mounts a serious challenge.  This would result in folks like me (registered as an independent but mostly votes in the democratic primaries) to vote in the Republican primary. 

I would be shocked if she ran third party as her first option. Only possibly mounting a third party run after running in the Republican primary and losing.  I don't thinks she wants to play spoiler to the republican party, she wants to return the republican party to be the party of her father.  One that honors veterans, one that treasures the rule of law and normal democratic conventions, one that respects elections and doesn't try to undermine democracy, one that doesn't play into blatant xenophophia (I was pretty surprised by how much the Bush administration did to not scapegoat Muslim-Americans after 9/11).  She want to fight for the soul of the Republican party not quit it.   

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 08:06:21 pm »

A third party run only for her because she would take the fringe and rhino republicans away. I'm guessing you wouldn't support Berne running third party.
And I'm guessing you would heartily applaud a third-party Bernie run.

The difference between us is that I don't need to say stuff like "We didn't elect an angel-in-chief" to excuse my preferred candidate in the general election, nor do I feel the need to blame my support for him on how mean the other side has been to me.  I'm perfectly willing to own my decisions.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:17:51 pm »

It truly unbelievable that Dick and Liz Cheney, Bush, McCain, Romney etc aren't consider real republicans in the new facisist version of the GOP.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 08:18:24 pm »

Liz Cheney has a substantially smaller chance of winning the 2024 Republican presidential primary than AOC does of defeating Joe Biden in the 2024 Democratic presidential primary.

Liz Cheney is despised by Trumpists, and the Republican Party is entirely Trumpists.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 09:11:21 pm »

Liz Cheney has a substantially smaller chance of winning the 2024 Republican presidential primary than AOC does of defeating Joe Biden in the 2024 Democratic presidential primary.

Liz Cheney is despised by Trumpists, and the Republican Party is entirely Trumpists.

The republicans party is not entirely Trumpists.  The entire leadership of the republican party is Trumpists.  The most vocal voices are Trumpists, but many the run of the mill conservatives don’t like Trump or what he has done to the party of Reagan and Bush. 

The AOC analogy breaks down for a few reasons.

First AOC can’t beat Biden head to head, but in a 6 way race of AOC, Hillary, Biden, Harris, Manchkin and Libermann, she has a fighting chance at getting the most votes as she would get all the progressive votes while the others split the DINO vote.

Second, Liz’s victory is heavily dependent on independents and democrats voting in the Republican party to block the Trumpists.  I see no scenario where Republicans change party affiliation just to vote for AOC over Biden.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 09:52:49 pm »

The republicans party is not entirely Trumpists.
The voters are, which is all that matters.

First AOC can’t beat Biden head to head, but in a 6 way race of AOC, Hillary, Biden, Harris, Manchkin and Libermann, she has a fighting chance at getting the most votes as she would get all the progressive votes while the others split the DINO vote.
This Bernie-logic was thoroughly disproven in the 2020 primary.  The idea that all the moderates would stay in the race when it's clear they 1) aren't going to win and 2) are helping defeat their own cause is total nonsense.

But that's immaterial, because your argument seems to back up my point: AOC has a substantially better chance of beating Biden in the 2024 Dem primary than Liz Cheney does of winning the 2024 GOP primary.  And AOC has NO chance of beating Biden in 2024.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 05:03:40 am »

Top 3 vote getters in 2020 were Biden, Sanders and Warren.  Biden got the moderates, Sanders and Warren fought over the progressives.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 08:29:07 am »

And I'm guessing you would heartily applaud a third-party Bernie run.

The difference between us is that I don't need to say stuff like "We didn't elect an angel-in-chief" to excuse my preferred candidate in the general election, nor do I feel the need to blame my support for him on how mean the other side has been to me.  I'm perfectly willing to own my decisions.
LMAO ... You actually elected a guy because he wasn't the other guy and now we are all worse off for it. Your credibility about how to elect people has been completley trashed so I'd be smart enough to quit pointing fingers if I was you. hahaha 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 08:32:43 am »

Top 3 vote getters in 2020 were Biden, Sanders and Warren.  Biden got the moderates, Sanders and Warren fought over the progressives.
Sanders would have won but the DNC stepped in for Biden. The person who was last in voting was selected as VP because of skin color and gender and how is that working out for you? Hard to imagine why voting for the most qualified is considered wrong.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 08:40:26 am »

I don't really get the hate boner that the right has for Harris.  It's kinda weird.  VPs don't really have the power to do anything, she's kinda a nothingburger in the grand scheme of things.  It's just a weird place to put the hate.

I guess I felt that way about Cheney a bit, because he was more calling the shots, it seemed at the time, but like...Pence....who gave a shit.  He was just back in the background doing photo ops, for the most part, like most VPs.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 09:38:04 am »

I don't really get the hate boner that the right has for Harris.  It's kinda weird.  VPs don't really have the power to do anything, she's kinda a nothingburger in the grand scheme of things.  It's just a weird place to put the hate.

I guess I felt that way about Cheney a bit, because he was more calling the shots, it seemed at the time, but like...Pence....who gave a shit.  He was just back in the background doing photo ops, for the most part, like most VPs.
She is constantly getting lost, erupts into nervous laughter at inopportune times, or comes across as condescending or even dumb in her speeches and interviews. She isn't a great representative for our country that's for sure. Dan Quayle was a Republican VP who came across as dumb too.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 09:45:13 am »

I don't really get the hate boner that the right has for Harris. 

CF already answered that for you

because of skin color and gender

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray