Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 09:21:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The most famous photograph of our lifetime (so far)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The most famous photograph of our lifetime (so far)  (Read 3428 times)
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2023, 10:01:35 am »

The point I was making is that there are many pictures of Earth from space, or 9/11, or the Berlin Wall falling.  But there's only one mugshot of the former President of the United States.

And the point I made is that relatively few people outside of the USA think it's anywhere near as historically important as you do there.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2023, 10:32:48 am »

In other countries, for sure.  I think we're talking about to Americans....that was my assumption anyway.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2023, 12:30:26 pm »

And the point I made is that relatively few people outside of the USA think it's anywhere near as historically important as you do there.
The fact that people outside the US even know who Trump, Obama, Bush etc. is says a lot about the dynamic.
The vast majority of Americans would struggle to name the President of Mexico or the Prime Minister of Canada, to say nothing of the leaders in Africa, Asia, Australia, or Europe.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2023, 01:15:57 pm »

Although just a couple years before my first cry, the photo of Lyndon Johnson being sworn in as President is pretty iconic.  As for mug shots O.J. Simpson's is/will be more memorable than Trump's; even though Time magazine doctored OJ's.

9/11 had a lot of memorable photos, I think the one with the second plane about to crash into the Tower is quite famous.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2023, 02:52:11 pm »

The fact that people outside the US even know who Trump, Obama, Bush etc. is says a lot about the dynamic.
The vast majority of Americans would struggle to name the President of Mexico or the Prime Minister of Canada, to say nothing of the leaders in Africa, Asia, Australia, or Europe.

That says more about American ignorance than importance.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2023, 07:17:23 pm »

That says more about American ignorance than importance.
Not exactly.  If someone from Canada can name the leader of the US or the UK, but not the leader of Indonesia, Nigeria, or Brazil, does that speak to Canadian ignorance, or does it merely indicate that people tend not to care about the leaders of countries that are not immediately relevant to them?

For better or worse, the president of the United States is relevant to many people on this planet, because the US makes it relevant by our decisions and outsized influence.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 07:19:18 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2023, 07:25:34 pm »

Not exactly.  If someone from Canada can name the leader of the US or the UK, but not the leader of Indonesia, Nigeria, or Brazil, does that speak to Canadian ignorance, or does it merely indicate that people tend not to care about the leaders of countries that are not immediately relevant to them?

For better or worse, the president of the United States is relevant to many people on this planet, because the US makes it relevant by our decisions and outsized influence.

One aspect is importance, but ignorance is the LARGER issue.  That most Americans can less than 5 and most Europeans can name a few dozen goes to ignorance,

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2023, 10:53:54 am »

I don't really think it's fair.  Whether we like it or not, most of world politics, world finance, etc -- that stuff goes through America.  We have the most influence in the world by a lot.  Our policies affect a lot of small countries, so it's probably in their best interest to know our leadership and have opinions on us.  But it's just not true the other way around, outside of the major players like China, Russia, etc.

I am not pro ignorance, but all I'm saying is that I don't think it's apples to apples.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2023, 03:38:52 pm »

I agree.  I'm sure people in most countries know who Putin is, and maybe the leaders of China and the UK.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2023, 03:44:57 pm »

One aspect is importance, but ignorance is the LARGER issue.  That most Americans can less than 5 and most Europeans can name a few dozen goes to ignorance,

I doubt Europeans are naming a few dozen, maybe the 5 more well known worldly leaders (like Biden, Putin, Jinping, Sunak, Kim Jong Un), then maybe a half dozen local countries - which is more like naming a couple US State Govenors.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2023, 09:37:16 am »

But going back to the original post and question... the most famous photo image in our lifetime. All of us. Not just you in the USA. Not just me in Australia.

I still come back to those three moments (post mid-1969 when I was born). The moon landing. The fall of the Berlin Wall, and something from 9/11.

The Blue Marble is the only other thing that comes remotely close on a global scale (and probably only for geeks). After that, maybe something from Live Aid - as a symbol that we genuinely gave a shit about the most impoverished people on earth for one afternoon?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2023, 05:48:29 pm »

I agree that those are more famous events by a long shot, especially globally.  But there are lots of pictures of those events, and (outside of Neil Armstrong stepping on to the moon, which is before the lifetime of most posters here) there isn't really one definitive picture that represents the fall of the Berlin Wall, or 9/11.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray