Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2024, 09:34:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Was Detroit robbed last night
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Was Detroit robbed last night  (Read 1511 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2024, 01:51:54 pm »

I would simply change it such that only the person reporting approach the ref so if the ref tells the defense a number or they hear a number other than who approached the ref, they can challenge that to ensure they get the right information.
The defense has no incentive to make such a challenge.  If the ref tells them #70 is eligible, that's the only extra player they have to guard; if the offense throws it to #68, that's illegal touching.  Open and shut.

Defenses are not going to guard additional ineligible players based on guesswork about who may have talked to the ref.  They are going to guard the players that report, because those are the only players they have to guard.  If the ref screws up and relays the wrong player, it's the offense that's punished, not the defense.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2024, 10:26:23 pm »

The defense has no incentive to make such a challenge.  If the ref tells them #70 is eligible, that's the only extra player they have to guard; if the offense throws it to #68, that's illegal touching.  Open and shut.
Not if the ref says he didn't tell you #70 was eligible. If the ref says he told you #68 was eligible and you must have misheard him, play stands. This could just as easily happen as what happened in the game the other night. Defense is screwed in that case instead of the offense. I wonder if this has ever happened?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 10:29:24 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2024, 11:12:56 pm »

They announce it over the PA.  If you hear the wrong player - twice - that's just a busted coverage.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2024, 12:07:00 am »

They announce it over the PA.  If you hear the wrong player - twice - that's just a busted coverage.
This is the first I'm hearing this. Did they do that in the Lions game? If so why didn't the Lions say they got the number wrong before the play? They didn't pay attention to what number was announced? If that's the case then what are we even discussing? The Lions had their chance to correct the ref and didn't? No where have I seen this mentioned before.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 12:14:23 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray