Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 08:46:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Joint Practices
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Joint Practices  (Read 675 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: May 21, 2024, 03:08:02 pm »

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dolphins-will-have-joint-practices-with-all-three-preseason-opponents

Personal I am a huge fan of joint practices unless the teams are also scheduled to play in the regular season.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 03:38:33 pm »

I have never really thought about it.  What do you think the pros and cons are?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 04:02:31 pm »

You get to practice against different players, systems and plays.  Practicing again your own team can get repetitive and predictable.   There really isn’t any downside, but settings it up requires work and cooperation so teams doesn’t always do it.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 04:27:05 pm »

I've always thought it was kind of a cool novelty.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 01:25:57 pm »

I also like that it helps build a team aspect. There is always an us versus them mentality when competing. Things always get heated in camp. This allows your offense and defense to have a common enemy and not just each other.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 02:19:37 pm »

I've attended both joint practices and regular practices. The joint practices are much better as the intensity is definitely up a notch. Our 1s are going against their 1s, 2s against their 2s and so on. They run different situations so they can repeat things. Typically everyone is going pretty hard. It always gets chippy because there is smack talk going on that doesn't routinely happen when playing the same guy all the time. I'll probably attend some this year too as it's definitely fun to witness.

There is no doubt this will replace pre season games one day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2024, 02:21:25 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 08:31:20 pm »

If there is a successful push for more regular season games, it's almost certain that pre-season games will be inevitably be the casualty.

Joint practices won't be a truly effective replacement, but it's still better than teams training by themselves and then launching straight into a regular season.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2024, 09:09:40 am »

I won’t be shocked, if we drop to two when the season expands to 18, but I doubt preseason games go away.

The games are what facilitate the joint practices and the league makes more money on preseason games than they ever could on the practices.

Every league has preseason games.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2024, 10:58:24 am »

They are already beginning to replace preseasons games for the players. The stars plays less now in the games than they ever have. While the games will remain unless the league moves to 20 games, the way they are played or valued by teams has changed.

As a season ticket holder preseason games truly suck as you have to pay full price for those games as well. You pay for 10 home games regardless. I guess sometimes its 11 now but the preseason games are included wither way. There is no discount even though the product is nowhere near the same.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 11:17:33 am »

They are already beginning to replace preseasons games for the players. The stars plays less now in the games than they ever have. While the games will remain unless the league moves to 20 games, the way they are played or valued by teams has changed.

As a season ticket holder preseason games truly suck as you have to pay full price for those games as well. You pay for 10 home games regardless. I guess sometimes its 11 now but the preseason games are included wither way. There is no discount even though the product is nowhere near the same.

Has there ever been a joint practice that wasn't between two teams that didn't have a preseason game?   

I believe it is set up so if you have 9 home games you have one home preseason if you have 8 home games you get 2 home preseason so it is always 10 unless you are the "home" team for an international game.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2024, 05:36:31 pm »

Has there ever been a joint practice that wasn't between two teams that didn't have a preseason game?   

I believe it is set up so if you have 9 home games you have one home preseason if you have 8 home games you get 2 home preseason so it is always 10 unless you are the "home" team for an international game.
Not as of now. All scrimmages that I am aware of were between preseason teams but I'm not sure how you could work it out otherwise unless there was no game that weekend.

You may be right about the 10 games. I haven't been a ticket holder since the change so I really hadn't paid that much attention. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray