Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:29:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What non-cults feel kinda like cults?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What non-cults feel kinda like cults?  (Read 1061 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 29, 2024, 05:11:18 pm »

I have several:

- People who make a single political candidate or single political issue their whole identity.
- Crossfit
- Pickleball
- People who have an unhealthy obsession FOR or AGAINST a technology brand.  Common examples: Apple, Tesla, or any game console

I also think that there are certain subgroups of pop culture in the FOR/AGAINST category that either love or hate a specific creator, specific controversial movie, or specifical controversial character trait and revert all related conversations to this point:  IE - Zach Snyder, The Last Jedi, "Batman doesn't kill", etc.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 05:21:51 pm »

It's weird that you would mention all of these different "cults" while ignoring the elephant in the room: check the website banner.

Sports are far more cultish than Apple or Tesla, especially in the FOR/AGAINST categories.  When was the last time you saw someone die in a violent conflict between iPhone and Android advocates?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 05:23:34 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 05:31:32 pm »

I didn't mention it because I didn't think of it, but sports could apply, I guess.  There are definitely hardcore weirdos who make sports their entire identity and can't logically evaluate it on its own terms.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 10:08:59 pm »

Pickleball? I don't know anyone who plays. I could see it I guess.

Fraternities and sororities can fall into this. Also I don't know that there is an encompassing name so I will just say the Comicon crowd.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 11:16:29 pm »

Pickleball is kind of a weird one.  My direct friends don't play it, but I have been at parties where people find a way to always bring it up.  There's nothing bad about it; it's just one of those things that seems to transcend being a hobby.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 08:08:15 am »

Pickleball is blowing up for sure. The biggest "cults" I see are Jeep people, horse people, and Harley or Indian riders.  Jeep people are probbaly the worst though ... hahaha.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2024, 10:13:21 am »

Up here it's Dunkin' people, stickers on cars, clothing, trash talk anyone with a starbucks cup.  It's a cult.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2024, 10:16:24 am »

I find it less now than about a decade ago, but vegans fell into this category for a while.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2024, 11:55:18 am »

MAGA
Most religions
Some sports fans
A few Costco members
10 years ago I would say vegans but I haven't been harassed by one recently.

To be cult like the person needs to view their life choice to be exclusively the best and be hostile to alternative choices.  I haven't seen that with pickleball, phone brands or coffee shops.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2024, 12:58:18 pm »

A few Costco members

I'm interested in what made you say this.  I love me some Costco, so maybe I'm part of the cult...

I would also say that this can be true of things like the trans community.  I'm all in support of whatever people want to do and support safety and all that, but I see some social media people where every post, every day, every hour is only about trans things.  It's their entire identity, which can become a little exhausting.  Sometimes, it's exclusionary and dismissive of anyone who isn't that also.

I have also seen it about the war in Gaza.  Like, there's one dude who I'm friends with on socials and his whole personality is just all Gaza, all day.  A lot of "if you can't see this, unfriend me" kind of stuff with this person, too.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2024, 01:11:42 pm »

I'm going to flip one of Hoodie's. I  don't support Trump but I know some people that can't take a break from talking about how bad he is and name calling people from the MAGA group. It is all they do.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2024, 01:53:04 pm »

I'm interested in what made you say this.  I love me some Costco, so maybe I'm part of the cult...

I would also say that this can be true of things like the trans community.  I'm all in support of whatever people want to do and support safety and all that, but I see some social media people where every post, every day, every hour is only about trans things.  It's their entire identity, which can become a little exhausting.  Sometimes, it's exclusionary and dismissive of anyone who isn't that also.

I have also seen it about the war in Gaza.  Like, there's one dude who I'm friends with on socials and his whole personality is just all Gaza, all day.  A lot of "if you can't see this, unfriend me" kind of stuff with this person, too.

I completely disagree with Trans being a cult.  I have never met or heard of a trans person that was actively encouraging people others to become trans.  Same with the rest of LBGTQ.  I have gay friends, never once has any of them told me I ought switch from being hetro to homo or bi.  Never met a gay person who opposes heterosexual marriages. They are perfectly fine with people who wish to remain straight/cis they just want to be free to make their own choices.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2024, 02:17:20 pm »

I completely disagree with Trans being a cult.  I have never met or heard of a trans person that was actively encouraging people others to become trans.  Same with the rest of LBGTQ.  I have gay friends, never once has any of them told me I ought switch from being hetro to homo or bi.  Never met a gay person who opposes heterosexual marriages. They are perfectly fine with people who wish to remain straight/cis they just want to be free to make their own choices.

They're not trying to make me trans, so they're not a cult in that respect.  But they are exclusionary of non-trans people or their ideas and all issues become about their transness.  That's all I meant.

And this isn't the trans community.  It's individual people that act outside the norm of the movement.

I drink your milkshake!
Denver2

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2024, 02:48:14 pm »

MAGA
Most religions
Some sports fans
A few Costco members
10 years ago I would say vegans but I haven't been harassed by one recently.

To be cult like the person needs to view their life choice to be exclusively the best and be hostile to alternative choices.  I haven't seen that with pickleball, phone brands or coffee shops.

MAGA is just a cult no need to sugar coat it.

Denver2

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2024, 02:50:03 pm »

Yoga fans, now I love the practice but it can get cult like. This goes for anything under the umbrella of “new age”, astrology etc.

There are also cults like MGTOW and the Tate-Peterson sort of influence that preys on teenage boys to indoctrinate them.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray