Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 02:44:37 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Salaries are high but completely BS most of the time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Salaries are high but completely BS most of the time  (Read 628 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: June 24, 2024, 10:46:47 am »

I'm not sure if we've always done this but its crazy to me that agents are getting ridiculous numbers on the end of contracts just to inflate them. Trevor Lawrence is said to be making 55 million a year while in fact it is closer to 27 million a year. He will absolutely not see the 153 million over the last two years of his contract as it's not guaranteed. Everyone knows this but reports are constantly leaving out real numbers. I don't get it.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2024, 10:54:11 am »

Wow, an agent will misrepresent the facts to make himself or his client look better?

Say it isn't so...   Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2024, 12:07:05 pm »

That might no be the only reason.  Such contracts prevent the franchise tag.  A contract that is year 1-3 $15 million per year year 4 $155 million, year 5 $200 million is basically a 3 year contract, but one where the player doesn’t have to worry about being tagged.  Basically $155 million is the year 4 tag price. Plus by adding the extra years at TEAM gets to lower its year 1 & 2 cap hit shifting it to year 3.

I suspect the bogus years at the end has more to do with teams wanting to shift the cap hit to later years than agents wanting to brag about bogus numbers that doesn’t fool anyone.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2024, 02:06:21 pm »

Maybe. It just seems crazy to me. Most of the conversations on TV, radio, and print are about numbers that never really existed. It's annoying to have to look up the contract every time someone brings up a salary to see the truth.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2024, 05:07:11 pm »

Maybe. It just seems crazy to me. Most of the conversations on TV, radio, and print are about numbers that never really existed. It's annoying to have to look up the contract every time someone brings up a salary to see the truth.

That is just lazy journalism.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2024, 07:51:29 pm »

If there is one position where the "fake" contracts are usually pretty real, it's QB.

Josh Allen is going to receive every penny of his contract and then some, as are Dak Prescott, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, and Trevor Lawrence.  (Deshaun Watson will also receive his full contract, obviously.)  Kirk Cousins got every dollar of his huge deals, as did Jared Goff.  Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts will likely get their full payout, as well.  None of these players have won a Super Bowl, and few have even made it to one.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2024, 08:02:04 am »

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. Just like X didn't get his nor will people like Armstead. X earned 37.5 million on a 90 million dollar contract. that's how fake numbers work. Trevor Lawrence absolutely will not see the 153 million over the last two years of his contract. His contract might get renegotiated but it won't be at that price.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2024, 09:50:25 am »

He is not getting $75 million a year.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2024, 12:58:46 pm »

Apparently you haven't been paying attention. Just like X didn't get his nor will people like Armstead.
Neither of those players are QBs.

Trevor Lawrence absolutely will not see the 153 million over the last two years of his contract.
So you are predicting that JAX will cut him by 2028, then.  Because restructuring might massage the cap, but he's still getting the money.

Y'all are wringing your hands in 2024 over a future "$75 million a year", but in 2028 that number will be a lot less shocking.  When Dak signed his deal in 2021, a looming $55M+ cap hit in 2024 was outrageous; now you don't even think twice about paying it.  Same with Josh Allen and his $60M+ cap hit in 2025.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 01:01:09 pm »

I can't remember who it was...maybe Tannehill, where we signed him to a huge deal and everyone was freaking out and I was like "nah, this deal is fake".  Some of these deals essentially force you to cut the player or restructure, but I think it gives bargaining power down the line to the player over the team.  ...but both sides know that the contract isn't actually going to get paid out under those terms.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 03:01:27 pm »

Yes it was and we see how that turned out. Two people who typically talk real numbers are Omar Kelly and Mike Florio from PFT so I have have grown fond of hearing their takes on the new contracts. Seems like everyone else likes the big numbers and never mentions they won't ever see it. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray