Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 04:18:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What do you keep the temperature in your home?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What do you keep the temperature in your home?  (Read 378 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: June 26, 2024, 11:55:39 am »

During the day?
During the night?
When you're not at home?

Other relevant information:
- Where you live and the general temperature in relation to the temperature outside
- Whether or not these numbers change with the seasons
- Whether or not you incorporate an open window policy sometimes
- Whether these changes are programmed with a schedule or smart device or done manually
- Whether you have a roommate or spouse that has a different preference
- Whether this temperature has remained the same in different houses

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2024, 12:56:58 pm »

in the summer - 74 is constant, unless it's feeling hot then it'll go down to 72
in the winter - 65 is constant, unless it's feeling extra chilly then it'll go up to 68, also it depends on if i'm using the fireplace or not

i'm in connecticut. I have solar panels, so i de facto don't pay for electricity use, but heating oil is expensive.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2024, 01:47:11 pm »

I live in South Florida, where it's generally pretty hot and you're just trying to mitigate it.

For much of my life, I was comfortable at 76.  I think I probably still am, if the temperature is true.

However, my wife likes it cooler than me and also, my house doesn't hold temperature all that consistently.  Because of that, we keep it on 75, which is actually kind of chilly in the main/open parts of the house and can feel kinda warm in my bedroom if the door is closed with people in there/TV on/etc.

When we leave, I'll move it to 78.

In the cooler times, I'll open the windows whenever the outside temperature is notably cooler than the inside by several degrees.  If it's close, we usually keep them closed.

I almost never run the heat.  If we do, it's on the one night per year where it drops to freezing and even then it's only kind of a novelty.  Even in the cold times, it doesn't get cold long enough to override the warmth stored in the house.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2024, 03:40:38 pm »

My house is at 74 all day and then it drops to 70 at 9:00 pm until 6 am. Sometimes I will drop it down to 68 or 69 at night. The kids used to complain whenever they spent the night with other people because it was hot. We literally had to give women blankets while doing a Bible study at our house. I grew up here in Central Florida without AC and refuse to be hot now  ... hahaha

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
SlothVomit

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2024, 03:49:14 pm »

70 at all times.

During fall, winter and spring my AC is rarely on. We do occasionally use the heat during the winter but again, rare. I live in TN.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2024, 04:35:14 pm »

We leave it at 76 pretty much year round 24 hours a day. In the summer during the day when it gets up over 100 degrees in Texas the a/c runs pretty much constantly to try to keep the house at 76 and sometimes might not even be able to keep it there and our a/c unit is only a couple years old. I've read that a modern a/c unit will only cool your house around 28 degrees below the ambient temperature outside at most. There's very little reason to change the temperature at night because it really doesn't cool off that much and it's better in my opinion to give the unit a break at night since it's running so much during the day.

I don't like to have to wear a sweater in the house in the winter, so we really don't change it much in the winter but it's typically not hard to keep the house at 76 degrees, it typically doesn't get that cold here in Texas and when it does we like to put a couple logs in the fireplace.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 04:37:56 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray