Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 07:41:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Pop Culture Round Up - July 4th
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pop Culture Round Up - July 4th  (Read 401 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 04, 2024, 05:35:28 pm »

I'm hitting up all the things these days.

I've started buying CDs, which is very much not like me.  But I've been hitting thrift stores a lot and they're like .50-$1 and I have a CD player in my car.  I'm trying to get back to albums as a concept and get away from just picking the songs that I already like, in a vacuum.  This is kinda making me say "oh yeah...I forgot about this song."  For a lot of older bands that I know but don't follow their catalog, I've been picking up Greatest Hits albums: Elton John, Supertramp, ELO, Neil Diamond, Chicago.

But for others, I'm getting the albums of the stuff I remember from the 90s: Green Day, John Mayer, Hootie and the Blowfish, REM, to name a few.  It's been fun so far.

I'm reading Lord of the Flies, because my wife is going to teach it next year, so she asked me if I would.  It's been pretty good so far.  I'm not a reader of fiction, generally, and probably only read a book a year.

I'm also reading several comics again, after a friend kinda coaxed me back in: all from the library system, which I'm all about.

I've already read Hulk: Gray, which is from the guys who made my favorite comic of all-time, Batman: The Long Halloween.  They have others...a Spider-Man, a Daredevil that I think I've already read...and something else...maybe a Cap.  Anyway, I'll get to those eventually.

I'm now reading Batman: No Man's Land, which is huge and spans a bunch of different series.  I'm not used to that, but I've started and like it so far.  On deck after that is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

For TV:
The Boys (I'm loving it)
The Acolyte
House of the Dragon
Star Trek Discovery

On deck is The Bear, season 3.

And movies...I'm always watching movies.  I've seen some good ones lately.  I've got 1991 films coming up and Deadpool and Wolverine in a few weeks.

For video games, I've cooled on Fortnite.  I still like it and play it, but my squad isn't as fervent as they have been, so I've picked back up Halo Infinite and I'd like to go back and play Guardians, as well.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 12:16:11 am »

For video games, I've cooled on Fortnite.  I still like it and play it, but my squad isn't as fervent as they have been
This season is garbage.  Its better now than it was before but its really not making me want to run home and play.  How do you feel about this season?
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 12:22:15 am »

How do you feel about this season?

I also don't feel compelled and am not loving it, but strangely, I'm not frustrated by it either.  Maybe we just haven't played so much, so I'm not angry at it yet. 

There's something about the cars that makes everyone on your team so displaced all the time and that's not my favorite way to play.  In general, I don't like tons of traversal and this season is all about that.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2024, 01:42:24 pm »

There's something about the cars that makes everyone on your team so displaced all the time and that's not my favorite way to play.  In general, I don't like tons of traversal and this season is all about that.
The just took cars and power gloves out of Ranked.  That sounds delightful.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2024, 02:07:22 pm »

I'm watching The Acolyte,  The Bear, House of Dragon and St Elsewhere for my nostalgia series. I don't play video games or read much. I recently watched the latest Mad Max which was a bit cheesy but that goes with the package. Musically I have been streaming a band called Spafford quite a bit lately.

I should have added I'm watching a good bit of the Euros and Copa America soccer. Looking forward to the Olympics in a few weeks also.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 03:33:41 pm by Phishfan » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 08:57:58 pm »

I'm reading Lord of the Flies, because my wife is going to teach it next year, so she asked me if I would.  It's been pretty good so far.  I'm not a reader of fiction, generally, and probably only read a book a year.

I remember reading Lord of the Flies in 10th grade, or maybe it was just the Cliff Notes.  Since you're into movies have you watched the 1963 version of the movie?  I remember liking the movie; I know they remade it in the 90's but I never watched that version.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 09:55:20 am »

I remember reading Lord of the Flies in 10th grade, or maybe it was just the Cliff Notes.  Since you're into movies have you watched the 1963 version of the movie?  I remember liking the movie; I know they remade it in the 90's but I never watched that version.

I plan to watch a film after I finish it.

I have never seen the 1963 version.  I definitely saw the 90s one, but it was at a friend's house and I think I may have only seen the the 2nd half of it.  I don't believe I sat down and watched it back to front, but it drew me in, I remember.

From what I read, the 60s version is a more faithful adaptation of the book.  Although, the book is pretty straightforward so far -- I'm more than halfway through it.  I don't see much you'd have to change to adapt it.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray