Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 12:35:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  State Borders and Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: State Borders and Florida  (Read 485 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: July 17, 2024, 01:17:26 pm »

Many Republicans have moved to Florida since 2020.

If Biden wins in 2024, it's going to happen even more.

I'm just curious, could Ron DeSantis secure Florida's borders and institute immigration rules like Trump did and tried to do after he won in 2016.

I can imagine state borders would be MUCH harder to secure than national borders.

Edit:  I mean secure the border from other Americans.  If too many people FROM THIS COUNTRY want to move to Florida, it could overcrowded.  This might make DeSantis want to limit the amount of people moving to Florida.  He has already made it clear that illegals are not welcome in his state under any circumstances.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 01:19:26 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 01:20:11 pm »

It is unconstitutional to restrict transit between states, and law enforcement jurisdiction of the waters outside Florida belongs to the federal government (Coast Guard), not the state.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 02:44:07 pm »

Immigration policy is set at the Federal not state level, despite what Abbot and DeSantos claim. 

BTW you sound as stupid as the person the other day I heard talking about how we need to crack down the number of Puerto Ricans who illegally immigrate to the US. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 03:22:39 pm »

It's also worth mentioning that Florida has no land border with another country, which is why DeSantis chose to reach out to Texas to find some legal immigrants to ship to Massachusetts for his earlier xenophobic (and illegal) stunt.

Now, he could have fraudulently misled and transported legal Cuban immigrants without leaving Florida to find them, but that wouldn't have sent the intended message.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 03:25:01 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2024, 10:31:00 am »

Secure the border from who?  Georgians?  What is the goal of this question?  Who are you trying to keep out (or in)?

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2024, 03:58:10 pm »

It is unconstitutional....

That never stopped them before...

But in reality Florida is already overcrowded and I'm over it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2024, 07:11:16 pm »

Edit:  I mean secure the border from other Americans.  If too many people FROM THIS COUNTRY want to move to Florida, it could overcrowded.  This might make DeSantis want to limit the amount of people moving to Florida.
This is not even remotely plausible, to say nothing of legal.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2024, 10:20:46 am »

You couldn't "secure the border" but you could probably, constitutionally, preference residents of your state v. non-residents, thus making moving to whatever state less feasible from a logistics/economic standpoint and make it less appealing to move to.

There are rumblings in my own state of this going on, though I haven't seen it (blatantly) in state-level policy yet. In my own town, they messed with the tree ordinance to make development almost impossible, and put a moratorium on apartments of a certain height, due to the "historic character" of the place. That's definitely slowed the movement of people to the Charleston area, and presumably you could do something akin to this on the state level.

No idea if there's a SCOTUS case that strikes this kind of activity down, however.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2024, 09:31:25 am »

You couldn't "secure the border" but you could probably, constitutionally, preference residents of your state v. non-residents, thus making moving to whatever state less feasible from a logistics/economic standpoint and make it less appealing to move to.

There are rumblings in my own state of this going on, though I haven't seen it (blatantly) in state-level policy yet. In my own town, they messed with the tree ordinance to make development almost impossible, and put a moratorium on apartments of a certain height, due to the "historic character" of the place. That's definitely slowed the movement of people to the Charleston area, and presumably you could do something akin to this on the state level.

No idea if there's a SCOTUS case that strikes this kind of activity down, however.

Almost any move a state could make to discourage people form moving to the state would also make life more difficult for the people who already live there and discourage them to move elsewhere.     

What states can and often do is enact policies to discourage certain sub-populations from living in the state.  Florida actively discourages gay people from moving there, Nevada is quite welcoming.  This could result in Florida getting redder and Nevada getting bluer. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray