Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2024, 10:57:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jordan Love beats Tua
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jordan Love beats Tua  (Read 472 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: July 27, 2024, 01:09:11 am »

Right after Brian comments on it, it happens.

Did he know this was going to happen?  Did he know it HAD happened.  I just found out about it on my facebook mini-feed.

This is utterly absurd.

I remember reading the Brady would often take pay CUTS with the Patriots to allow them to maintain the talent around him. 

You don't need to overpay quarterbacks.

Mahomes doesn't even make this much money a year.

Nobody should be making more than Mahomes. 

Amazingly, they did this after the Aaron Rodgers fiasco.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 03:23:17 pm »

You can't apples to apples Tua or Love to Mahomes.  So much of these contracts has to do with when they were signed.

Mahomes was the biggest deal in history when it was signed 4 years ago.  He would likely get the largest contract, if signed again today.  So, Tua not being at the very top is at least indicative that it's not absolutely crazy.

There's a bigger question at play about the value of that one position at the expense of others, but Tua coming in underneath some of these other signings is promising.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2024, 03:37:17 pm »

There are a dozen QBs making more than Mahomes.  Why is this just now a problem?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2024, 09:33:52 am »

There are a dozen QBs making more than Mahomes.  Why is this just now a problem?

I don't think it is just a problem now.  While player salaries should increase over time, the percentage of the salary cap dedicated to the QB position shouldn't.  Many teams are spending too much money on the QB position to the detriment of being able to get better players in other positions. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 10:00:28 pm »

While player salaries should increase over time, the percentage of the salary cap dedicated to the QB position shouldn't.
And why is that?
What is the argument against a QB taking, say, 20% (or even 30%!) of a team's cap, if the other competitive teams are also paying that much for a QB?

We are stuck in a feedback loop, exemplified by this Tua/Love dynamic.  Why did Love get paid more than Tua?  Because his team won a playoff game.  The choice to put wins and losses on the shoulders of the QB over everyone else means that QB play is considered to be the single most important factor in winning.  So why wouldn't you pay your QB an enormous portion of your team's cap?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray