Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 11:33:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What should i look for in a new computer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What should i look for in a new computer?  (Read 620 times)
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« on: July 30, 2024, 09:44:57 pm »

I have been looking around for a new computer and i wanted to ask any tech savy person on here on what i should look for.

I really only use my computer for browsing the web, watching videos, excel work usually managing my personal expenses and such. I don't play video game on it. but i do use it everyday.

Is it safe to buy electronics from Amazon.com? Only asking since i got a fairly decent amount of money from my job in the form of amazon gift cards from picking up shifts and coming in early for other shifts.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2024, 11:28:44 pm »

Why don't you tell us what you are looking at and we can probably give you some advice on if it's a good buy or not and why. That will help you figure out what you should be looking for.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 10:05:09 am »

Spider is someone I would listen to about computers.  He's smart about those things.

In my experience, which admittedly isn't as deep in the weeds as it used to be, it doesn't matter as much as it used to.

Either you're gaming or you're not.  If you're not, most stuff isn't happening on your PC and the processing is on the other side of the Internet connection.  You don't even need a physical drive.  I don't really think it matters and I usually just buy something that's affordable.  I also believe in the "bathtub curve" for technology and thus, often will buy open-box or refurbished models. 

My last several PCs have come from the Lenovo outlet.  I believe if you buy on 8/1 or before and you're in Florida, there is no tax added to the purchase: https://www.lenovo.com/us/outletus/en/laptops/?orgRef=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 05:50:41 pm »

I have been looking around for a new computer and i wanted to ask any tech savy person on here on what i should look for.

I really only use my computer for browsing the web, watching videos, excel work usually managing my personal expenses and such. I don't play video game on it. but i do use it everyday.

Is it safe to buy electronics from Amazon.com? Only asking since i got a fairly decent amount of money from my job in the form of amazon gift cards from picking up shifts and coming in early for other shifts.

Most newer processors from Intel and AMD should handle what you're using it for. But don't get less than 16gb of ram. I put 32gb in my last build and I'm at 80% load with all the tabs and windows open. I'd stick with 32gb or more with any other systems I get in the future.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2024, 06:23:31 pm »

When shopping for a new laptop, my general recommendation is to figure out how much you're comfortable spending and then buy the most expensive laptop under that limit.  In my experience, I've had the best results with Lenovo laptops.  If you're not gaming, there isn't a whole lot else to it.

raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2024, 03:13:33 pm »

I think i was mainly looking in the line of PCs towers not necessarily laptops. But my computer is so old its on windows 7 that ceased updates 4 years and really i guess the only main thing i need to look for is windows 11 then. Maybe i could get a refurbished model but wouldn't know if i'm getting a good one or not.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 03:37:48 pm by raptorsfan29 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2024, 03:48:28 pm »

When shopping for a new laptop, my general recommendation is to figure out how much you're comfortable spending and then buy the most expensive laptop under that limit.  In my experience, I've had the best results with Lenovo laptops.  If you're not gaming, there isn't a whole lot else to it.

My advice would be just the opposite.  There isn't a laptop on the market today that can't handle your modest needs.  Buy the least expensive one you can find that has a reputable warrentee.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2024, 05:01:30 pm »

My advice would be just the opposite.  There isn't a laptop on the market today that can't handle your modest needs.  Buy the least expensive one you can find that has a reputable warrentee.    
That doesn't necessarily mean you'll see the same performance from every laptop. I can't recommend getting an underpowered laptop even if it will run Excel. That PC may work today, but you'll find yourself increasingly disappointed with it in the future. I'd agree with Spider here, you want to set your budget first and then try to find the best PC for that budget which is what I was initially getting at.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 05:03:06 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2024, 07:13:04 pm »

I think i was mainly looking in the line of PCs towers not necessarily laptops. But my computer is so old its on windows 7 that ceased updates 4 years and really i guess the only main thing i need to look for is windows 11 then. Maybe i could get a refurbished model but wouldn't know if i'm getting a good one or not.
If you do not need to install extra components - specifically, an updated graphics card for gaming - there really isn't any point in buying a tower PC today.  You can get a USB-C port replicator like this one that will allow you to connect a keyboard, mouse, and multiple monitors to your laptop.

My advice would be just the opposite.  There isn't a laptop on the market today that can't handle your modest needs.  Buy the least expensive one you can find that has a reputable warrentee.
Barring component failure: the more money you spend on a laptop, the longer you'll get to use it before you need to replace it.  You're better off just setting your budget and then buying the best (usually: most expensive) PC you can get under that limit.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2024, 07:15:52 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2024, 07:26:07 am »

Even if you don't do gaming as such, a decent level gaming computer will future proof yourself to an extent because it will have a good processor, memory and graphics equivalent to what's being marketed as top end business computers (for less cost), and they will handle a decent amount of multi-tasking.

Usually it comes down to: when you need to upgrade your OS, you need a new PC, and then you lean on that as long as you can until you need to upgrade your OS again.

I've got an Acer tower setup with Win 10 and Intel i7 five years ago that still seems to cope with everything thrown at it. I'm getting continual offers to upgrade to Win 11, figure I have to do it sometime, but have resisted for now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray