Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2024, 02:54:23 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Football is officially back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Football is officially back  (Read 1580 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2024, 01:57:14 pm »

No doubt, but are we really saying that we have to have live games with a crowd to determine who are best for the practice squad?  We could just do this with practices and scrimmages.  We are already pushing these injuries to the limit -- adding more meaningless games seems to do more harm than good.
You never heard of the term gamer? There are those guys that just get hyped for games and they ALWAYS look better under game conditions than they do in practice or scrimmage. And there's the reverse, guys that practice well and then don't show up for games. This is why they play the games. To see the difference and yeah as fas as I know there's no way to know if a guy is a gamer or not unless you actually have a game. Games are an important evaluation tool. Certainly it's not the only tool, but there's value there. There's no denying that.

If you agree with that idea than the only difference between you and I is whether we need to know this about the practice squad players or not and I would argue that the practice squad could be the difference between playoffs or not for some teams. Yeah, I think it's important. There's WAY too much emphasis by fans placed on the starting 22 and not nearly enough placed on the rest of the roster. For the coaches, it's the exact opposite in my humble opinion.

I'll go one step further and say traditionally Miami has been one of those teams that have as good or better starting 22 as the next team but then fail to make the playoffs when the starting 22 aren't on the field because of injuries. If the backups and practice squad were better, they may have made the playoffs some years where they didn't. That's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 02:31:33 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2024, 03:50:52 pm »

They are only selling because of the forced purchase with season tickets. I would say single game purchase is lacking.
I mean, OK, but so what?  Even if every person in the stadium is a season ticket holder that was "forced" to buy the preseason tickets, if they're happy with the numbers then there's no need to lower the price.

As Pappy suggested, would it make you feel any better if preseason games were "free" for season ticket holders but they raised the price on season tickets?  The reason they don't do this now is it would obliterate the retail market for preseason tickets: season ticket holders would scalp their preseason tickets for pennies on the dollar because they were "free," in a way that they won't if they "paid" for preseason tickets.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 03:53:40 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2024, 09:51:59 pm »

I mean, OK, but so what?  Even if every person in the stadium is a season ticket holder that was "forced" to buy the preseason tickets, if they're happy with the numbers then there's no need to lower the price.

As Pappy suggested, would it make you feel any better if preseason games were "free" for season ticket holders but they raised the price on season tickets?  The reason they don't do this now is it would obliterate the retail market for preseason tickets: season ticket holders would scalp their preseason tickets for pennies on the dollar because they were "free," in a way that they won't if they "paid" for preseason tickets.

I never voiced any opinion regarding the price. I merely pointed out that the sales number is propped up by the mandatory sales.
Sibster

Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2024, 10:22:35 am »

season ticket holders would scalp their preseason tickets for pennies on the dollar because they were "free," in a way that they won't if they "paid" for preseason tickets.

They're already doing that.   I got four seats to a Dolphins-Bucs preseason game for $10 each on StubHub.  Fact is, the season ticket holders don't want to go to those games so they sell them off real cheap.   
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2024, 11:16:39 am »

They're already doing that.   I got four seats to a Dolphins-Bucs preseason game for $10 each on StubHub.  Fact is, the season ticket holders don't want to go to those games so they sell them off real cheap.  
The point is that if they gave away those seats for free then no one would actually pay $10 for them on StubHub. You would expect the owner of those tickets to give them away for free. Right?

You get the tickets at a fair price and the NFL gets people in the stands. So the system works even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 11:19:18 am by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2024, 01:20:09 pm »

Not only that, if you didn't have to pay for the preseason tickets, then there would be a bunch of people who simply wouldn't show up to preseason games because "they're free."  You can see it just from the complaints in this thread: when you "pay" full price for a preseason game, you're more likely to feel like you want to get your money's worth by using them (or selling them to someone who uses them).  But if they're free, who cares?  Throw them in the trash.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2024, 09:45:22 am »

The NFL should play ALL preseason games internationally, but stop playing regular season games internationally. 

To minimize travel, pick 8 cities or regional areas and send 4 teams each. 

This a similarity approach to how some European soccer leagues work. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2024, 10:51:40 am »

The NFL should play ALL preseason games internationally, but stop playing regular season games internationally. 

To minimize travel, pick 8 cities or regional areas and send 4 teams each. 

This a similarity approach to how some European soccer leagues work. 

Nah, that's crazy. You want to be able to train at your own facilities. One of the advantages of playing for Miami is their training facilities and pre-season is a key time for that. Don't think many owners would be on board with that idea.

Sibster

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2024, 12:15:59 pm »

Nah, that's crazy. You want to be able to train at your own facilities. One of the advantages of playing for Miami is their training facilities and pre-season is a key time for that. Don't think many owners would be on board with that idea.

I would say more preseason games internationally would be a good thing.   Especially if they go to 18 regular season games and 2 preseason games.  It would be easy to hold the games two weeks apart to allow for travel and recovery, assuming training camp is the same length of time.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2024, 01:33:25 pm »

It would involve the model that use to be quite popular of holding training camp off site.  Technology is quite mobile and world class training facilities exist worldwide.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2024, 10:18:06 am »

Technology is quite mobile and world class training facilities exist worldwide.
That's not my opinion. Actually I think the Dolphins training facility is quite unique and perhaps unmatched in the NFL. It's frequently mentioned as a reason that players want to play in Miami over other teams among other things. Perhaps some teams would rather train away from their own training facilities like perhaps Kansas City? My understanding is their training facilities are among the worst in the league.

Denver2

Email
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2024, 01:52:40 am »

Now it’s officially back.

Decent start for KC. I wish another team would have drafted Worthy before they did that’s gonna be a dangerous combination, but otherwise it wasn’t a peak Mahomes performance.

I feel for Lamar but he missed some wide open passes and his limitations as a passer are clearly there. Once he loses his edge physically I don’t see him lasting too much longer.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray