Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 05:44:02 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trey Lance in a trade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Trey Lance in a trade?  (Read 235 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 24, 2024, 06:28:16 pm »

The Cowboys would be willing to part with Trey Lance. Dak is their starter and Cooper Rush is the backup. Trey is still a young QB with potential. Mike White is worthless. The one thing the Dolphins don't have is a guy who can extend plays. Lance can do that. He's also familiar with the type of offense that Miami runs because it's similar to the 49'ers offense. I think the Dolphins should make Dallas an offer.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 10:59:58 pm »

Or maybe not...lol just saw he threw 5 picks in the final pre-season game. I still think he's better than Mike White.

Denver2

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 11:30:27 pm »

Sure if it costs nothing jettison white but Skylar is number 2 lance can run the practice squad
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 12:25:08 am »

Is Lance even a good fit? He may be able to extend plays, but hasn't the McDaniel DNA to date been the quick release and YAC?

The other question is cost: we'd ideally want to get him for basically nothing. We're capped out, and frankly could/should use whatever space we can gain on improving the defense or offensive line depth (which has already taken a hit again).

Ultimately 5 INT in his last preseason game has to be the sealer. No thanks.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 01:32:25 am »

If Kyle Shanahan, who spent three first-round picks to draft Lance, thought he was unsalvageable for his system, not sure why McDaniel would want Lance for his similar system.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 01:13:27 pm »

If Kyle Shanahan, who spent three first-round picks to draft Lance, thought he was unsalvageable for his system, not sure why McDaniel would want Lance for his similar system.
To be fair he had both Brock Purdy and Sam Darnold a more established veteran at the time. There was no room on the 49'ers roster for Lance. I think Lance would become the backup over Thompson. Granted that he's not necessarily suited to run the offense that Miami runs, but he brings something to the Dolphins that they don't have, the ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing. Tua can't do that and neither can Thompson in my humble opinion. If he becomes the starter you probably need to cater the offense to what he does best, but I trust that McDaniel would be able to do that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 01:45:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 01:22:40 pm »

Sure if it costs nothing jettison white but Skylar is number 2 lance can run the practice squad
For now. I wouldn't advocate getting Lance to run the practice squad, but if you think he eventually can be your backup, I think that's a smart move.

By the way I watched the highlights of that Dallas game and he did a lot of good along with those 5 picks. I think like 3 of them were in the last quarter when they were trying to make a comeback with the last one on the last play of the game where he forced it into the endzone. On another one he hit the receiver in the hands but a little high and he juggled it a little and the defender took it away so not really his fault on that throw either. Still that's 3 picks in a game where he threw almost 50 passes, but he's young and hasn't played much. I would expect that to get better the more he plays. The good throws in that game were pretty impressive.

Now would be a good time to offer the Cowboys something for him. He probably wouldn't be ready to play this year much unless Tua goes down, but I wouldn't mind seeing him compete with Thompson for the backup. He's a major upgrade over Mike White, that's for damn sure.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 01:27:17 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 02:53:16 pm »

He's a bum.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray