Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 04:48:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trey Lance in a trade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trey Lance in a trade?  (Read 1087 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: August 24, 2024, 06:28:16 pm »

The Cowboys would be willing to part with Trey Lance. Dak is their starter and Cooper Rush is the backup. Trey is still a young QB with potential. Mike White is worthless. The one thing the Dolphins don't have is a guy who can extend plays. Lance can do that. He's also familiar with the type of offense that Miami runs because it's similar to the 49'ers offense. I think the Dolphins should make Dallas an offer.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2024, 10:59:58 pm »

Or maybe not...lol just saw he threw 5 picks in the final pre-season game. I still think he's better than Mike White.

Denver2

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 11:30:27 pm »

Sure if it costs nothing jettison white but Skylar is number 2 lance can run the practice squad
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2024, 12:25:08 am »

Is Lance even a good fit? He may be able to extend plays, but hasn't the McDaniel DNA to date been the quick release and YAC?

The other question is cost: we'd ideally want to get him for basically nothing. We're capped out, and frankly could/should use whatever space we can gain on improving the defense or offensive line depth (which has already taken a hit again).

Ultimately 5 INT in his last preseason game has to be the sealer. No thanks.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2024, 01:32:25 am »

If Kyle Shanahan, who spent three first-round picks to draft Lance, thought he was unsalvageable for his system, not sure why McDaniel would want Lance for his similar system.

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2024, 01:13:27 pm »

If Kyle Shanahan, who spent three first-round picks to draft Lance, thought he was unsalvageable for his system, not sure why McDaniel would want Lance for his similar system.
To be fair he had both Brock Purdy and Sam Darnold a more established veteran at the time. There was no room on the 49'ers roster for Lance. I think Lance would become the backup over Thompson. Granted that he's not necessarily suited to run the offense that Miami runs, but he brings something to the Dolphins that they don't have, the ability to extend plays and make something out of nothing. Tua can't do that and neither can Thompson in my humble opinion. If he becomes the starter you probably need to cater the offense to what he does best, but I trust that McDaniel would be able to do that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 01:45:52 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2024, 01:22:40 pm »

Sure if it costs nothing jettison white but Skylar is number 2 lance can run the practice squad
For now. I wouldn't advocate getting Lance to run the practice squad, but if you think he eventually can be your backup, I think that's a smart move.

By the way I watched the highlights of that Dallas game and he did a lot of good along with those 5 picks. I think like 3 of them were in the last quarter when they were trying to make a comeback with the last one on the last play of the game where he forced it into the endzone. On another one he hit the receiver in the hands but a little high and he juggled it a little and the defender took it away so not really his fault on that throw either. Still that's 3 picks in a game where he threw almost 50 passes, but he's young and hasn't played much. I would expect that to get better the more he plays. The good throws in that game were pretty impressive.

Now would be a good time to offer the Cowboys something for him. He probably wouldn't be ready to play this year much unless Tua goes down, but I wouldn't mind seeing him compete with Thompson for the backup. He's a major upgrade over Mike White, that's for damn sure.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 01:27:17 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2024, 02:53:16 pm »

He's a bum.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2024, 10:30:35 am »

He's a bum.
And probably better than the starter that Miami is running out there right now. They should have done this trade in the offseason - probably could have gotten him for a 5th or 6th round pick. Wonder what Dallas will want for him now.

I'm not advocating this trade for this year really, I expect that Tua will return in a couple weeks, but I think he would be more of an insurance policy in case Tua goes down again and is out of football in the near future as I see that as a very real possibility. Miami needs to bring in someone who at least has some upside to compete with Thompson, it's surely not Huntley. He's had enough NFL experience and he's terrible. Much worse than I expected actually. I know he hasn't had a lot of playing time but I don't see him getting better with playing time. Trey Lance looked better in that 5 interception game with backups than Huntley looks with the starters. He's an actual QB and not just a glorified ball carrier.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 07:50:42 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2024, 04:47:11 pm »

And probably better than the starter that Miami is running out there right now. They should have done this trade in the offseason - probably could have gotten him for a 5th or 6th round pick. Wonder what Dallas will want for him now.

I'm not saying I want him, but does Miami even have to give up anything for a 3rd string guy on the practice squad?  I thought those players were unprotected and could just be signed.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2024, 06:30:49 pm »

There is no reason to believe that Trey Lance is better than Tyler Huntley based on their play in the NFL.
Trading for Lance would definitely be Doing Something, but I don't think it would make the team better.

If you're going to trade for a QB, trade PIT for whichever is cheaper out of Fields or Wilson.  Both of them have affordable contracts and either a better history (Wilson) or more upside (Fields) than anyone else being discussed.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2024, 07:05:12 pm »

Dak is their starter and Cooper Rush is the backup. Trey is still a young QB with potential.

Apparently Trey doesn't have Cooper Rush potential...  Roll Eyes

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2024, 07:36:11 pm »

There is no reason to believe that Trey Lance is better than Tyler Huntley based on their play in the NFL.
I'm not sure I agree with that. Lance's NFL passing stats are better, his rushing stats are not. Lance is also 2 years younger.

PLAYER          G   GS   CMP  ATT    %   YDS   AVG   TD   INT   RUSH   YDS   AVG   TD
Trey Lance      8     4     56  102   55    797    7.8     5      3        54    235    4.4    1
Tyler Huntley 22   11   253  395   64  2247    5.7     8      8      126    556    4.4    4

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2024, 07:40:30 pm »

Apparently Trey doesn't have Cooper Rush potential...  Roll Eyes
The Cowboys aren't willing to part with Cooper Rush and I don't consider him starter material. I don't think Trey has been given enough of a chance to determine that yet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 07:43:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2024, 07:53:08 pm »

I'm not saying I want him, but does Miami even have to give up anything for a 3rd string guy on the practice squad?  I thought those players were unprotected and could just be signed.
I think Lance is on the active roster, not on the practice squad - for just that reason.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray