Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 02:19:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Trey Lance in a trade?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Trey Lance in a trade?  (Read 1078 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2024, 08:10:36 pm »

The Cowboys aren't willing to part with Cooper Rush and I don't consider him starter material. I don't think Trey has been given enough of a chance to determine that yet.
Lance has started 4 games, Rush has started 6.

It doesn't make sense to trade for a backup that is unproven at best and a bust at worst.  This is the equivalent of trading for Josh Rosen, which is fine if you're trying to tank (as MIA was when they did just that) but a waste of time otherwise.  Unlike, say, Fields, Lance hasn't shown anything in the NFL that indicates a meaningful upside.  If you were to ask me before the season who I would take over Trey Lance, Tyler Huntley would have literally have been one of my top suggestions. I'd sooner trade for Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell than Lance; at least they have a decent amount of starter experience.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 08:12:58 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2024, 08:54:32 pm »

Lance has started 4 games, Rush has started 6.
Rush has 7 years experience in the NFL, Lance has 2. I don't think it's a stretch to think that Lance may get better with more experience. The Cowboys know what they have in Rush, he's a dependable backup for Dak. Rush knows he's not starting so you don't have to worry about a QB waiting for his chance.  It's the perfect place for a QB of Rush's nature. For a guy like Lance who needs more chances to see what he can do, that's not a good spot for him. The fact that Lance is still on the active roster is proof the Cowboys haven't given up on Lance, they just think Rush is the better choice for backing up Dak right now.

It doesn't make sense to trade for a backup that is unproven at best and a bust at worst.  This is the equivalent of trading for Josh Rosen, which is fine if you're trying to tank (as MIA was when they did just that) but a waste of time otherwise.  Unlike, say, Fields, Lance hasn't shown anything in the NFL that indicates a meaningful upside.  If you were to ask me before the season who I would take over Trey Lance, Tyler Huntley would have literally have been one of my top suggestions. I'd sooner trade for Desmond Ridder or Sam Howell than Lance; at least they have a decent amount of starter experience.
Depends on what they want in a trade. I think a 5th round pick would be worth the chance. I don't know if they would take that now, they probably would have taken it before the season started, probably not now. I've seen enough of Huntley already. I'd rather be starting Thompson in all honesty and I'm assuming that he's not starting because he's still recovering from his rib injury, but maybe they think Huntley has played well enough to start him, personally I don't see it. He's had a couple of decent throws but he looks scared to throw the ball in my opinion, every throw it looks like he'd like to pull it down and run.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2024, 09:06:47 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2024, 12:38:11 am »

Rush has 7 years experience in the NFL, Lance has 2.
I don't know that there's much that a player would have learned by their 7th year of riding the bench that they hadn't already learned by the 3rd.
These aren't starters we're talking about, here.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2024, 08:08:18 am »

He's a bum.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2024, 11:48:55 am »

Let some other team deal with the Trey Lance disappointment... Miami needs a veteran as a back-up.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Sibster

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2024, 03:14:19 pm »

The Niners got really lucky with Brock Purdy.  What in the world were they thinking drafting Lance?   And where would they be without Purdy?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2024, 10:35:14 am »

Let some other team deal with the Trey Lance disappointment... Miami needs a veteran as a back-up.
To be clear, I don't want Lance to be the backup to Tua. I'm suggesting you get Lance as a replacement for Tua in case Tua's career is over. I'm also not saying that you just put Lance in and say that your QB problem is fixed, no you would still have to go out and probably draft anther QB in the first round, but I at least think that Lance could be a legit starter in the league in the mean time which I can't say about anyone that the Dolphins have put out there in Tua's absence.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2024, 10:53:11 am »

To be clear, I don't want Lance to be the backup to Tua. I'm suggesting you get Lance as a replacement for Tua in case Tua's career is over...

I actually see that as an "even worse" situation. I could see a "temporarily out of desperation" kind of usage, but I'd rather just see some other team deal with it. If Tua is done, I'm hoping Miami holds out for someone a whole lot better than Lance.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2024, 05:06:22 pm »

Ok, so you didn't like my Trey Lance trade suggestion. What do you think about Bryce Young? I'm not sure a 4th rounder will get him though.

Dolphins trade pitch flips 4th round pick for high upside $38M QB
« Last Edit: October 17, 2024, 05:08:19 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2024, 06:57:24 pm »

What's next, trading DEN for the "high upside" Zach Wilson?

That article feels mildly insulting.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray