Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 05:50:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Theo Epstein rejoins Red Sox
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Theo Epstein rejoins Red Sox  (Read 8392 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: January 19, 2006, 05:03:40 pm »

Just got off a conference call with Werner and Henry, they're announcing that Theo has returned to the team in a full time capacity.  Details of the position will be announced on Monday.  My sources said it's a good bet he'll take over as President or back to GM.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 05:59:59 pm »

Just got off a conference call with Werner and Henry, they're announcing that Theo has returned to the team in a full time capacity.  Details of the position will be announced on Monday.  My sources said it's a good bet he'll take over as President or back to GM.

I wonder what that says about John Henry and Larry Luchino?  I mean, c'mon, why yo-yo a guy like that?  I'd love to hear your theory on this one, Maine.  Mine is they got rid of him in order to instantly win a power struggle, then brought him back when they found out there were slim pickings out there.  
Pats2006
Uber Member

2009, 2014 Fantasy Football Champion

XxDevilDog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 06:21:13 pm »

WTF MAINE!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to the post every time!!! Every time I come on to post some Sox news you beat me to it!  Wink

That is some good news!

So you know some people! How about some tickets for your fav. Pats fan? Buddy!!!!

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 06:33:18 pm »

WTF MAINE!!!!!!!!!! You beat me to the post every time!!! Every time I come on to post some Sox news you beat me to it!  Wink

That is some good news!

So you know some people! How about some tickets for your fav. Pats fan? Buddy!!!!

Boy have you come a long way! You went from coming in here with flame throwers to sucking up to a Dolphins fan!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:34:11 pm by CF_DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 08:07:41 pm »

I wonder what that says about John Henry and Larry Luchino?  I mean, c'mon, why yo-yo a guy like that?  I'd love to hear your theory on this one, Maine.  Mine is they got rid of him in order to instantly win a power struggle, then brought him back when they found out there were slim pickings out there.  

I don't think this speaks badly about Henry at all.  The day that Theo turned down the GM offer, you should have seen the guy's face.  You'd think he'd lost a son.  Henry told Luchino to get it done and Larry dropped the ball.  No one wanted to see Theo leave.

Now on the subject of Luchino; this is probably a pre-cursor to Luchino heading out.  Maybe not this season, but certainly next.  Henry left Luchino with two off season objections:
1)  Re-sign Theo
2)  Re-sign Damon
He dropped the ball on both.  When Henry found out how badly the talks between Theo and Larry were going, he stepped in.  It was a little too late to get Theo to stay on as GM.  The fact that Theo turned down jobs and waited around is a statement to the fact that no one wanted him to go anywhere in the first place.

I said this a thousand times, Theo was pulling all the strings even after leaving.  He all but admitted that last week.  The Dodgers and the Sox were talking about a Wells trade and it was Theo, not the "co GM's" that called L.A.  When that deal fell through it was Theo that brokered the deal with Julian.

I think that answers the question?

-Voltaire
Pats2006
Uber Member

XxDevilDog
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 04:10:00 am »

Tickets...   I have a list of people 2,432 deep long asking for Sox tix.  Consider yourself 2,433!  

But um #1 right?  Wink

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 04:47:52 am by Pats2006 » Logged

mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 05:30:25 am »

Welcome back, Theo! Now that free agency is all but done, glad you can come back! That is great! You only missed the most important part of the season for a GM, that's all.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 06:35:56 am »

I don't think this speaks badly about Henry at all.  The day that Theo turned down the GM offer, you should have seen the guy's face.  You'd think he'd lost a son.  Henry told Luchino to get it done and Larry dropped the ball.  No one wanted to see Theo leave.

Now on the subject of Luchino; this is probably a pre-cursor to Luchino heading out.  Maybe not this season, but certainly next.  Henry left Luchino with two off season objections:
1)  Re-sign Theo
2)  Re-sign Damon
He dropped the ball on both.  When Henry found out how badly the talks between Theo and Larry were going, he stepped in.  It was a little too late to get Theo to stay on as GM.  The fact that Theo turned down jobs and waited around is a statement to the fact that no one wanted him to go anywhere in the first place.

I said this a thousand times, Theo was pulling all the strings even after leaving.  He all but admitted that last week.  The Dodgers and the Sox were talking about a Wells trade and it was Theo, not the "co GM's" that called L.A.  When that deal fell through it was Theo that brokered the deal with Julian.

I think that answers the question?

Absolutely.  You follow this more closely than me, that's why I asked.  I wasn't sure whose fault it was that Theo left in the first place.  
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 06:45:00 am »

word..
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 07:08:05 am »

Welcome back, Theo! Now that free agency is all but done, glad you can come back! That is great! You only missed the most important part of the season for a GM, that's all.

I don't agree.  I think Theo has had his hands in the whole thing.

-Voltaire
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:21:28 pm »

I don't agree.  I think Theo has had his hands in the whole thing.
You can't convince me that the Red Sox would be centerfield-less & shortstop-less had he been there. No way dude. Damon would still be wearing red & white.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pats2006
Uber Member

XxDevilDog
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 04:18:26 pm »

You can't convince me that the Red Sox would be centerfield-less & shortstop-less had he been there. No way dude. Damon would still be wearing red & white.

Yea Damon would have still been with the Sox.

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »

He didn't do himself any favors by leaving because the market for Shortstops and Center Fielders is dry and teams will make Boston overpay for them now.

I wonder how he felt when they traded away Renteria for Marte?
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 08:25:52 pm »

First - Theo established what he felt was a fair market value for players and stuck to it.  That's why Pedro is gone, too.  Boston, under no circumstances, would have paid 52 million.  The Mets will regret the contract they gave Petie as the Yanks will Damon.  Next year?  Maybe not.  But what exactly did Pedro's performance mean over all for the Mets?  Almost nothing.  Damon will add a bat to an offense that didn't really need one and defense that is no better than Bernie Williams.  Sure he can get to the ball faster than Bernie - but then he'll 9 hop it to the cut off guy.

People need to remember that, at worst, Alex Cora would be a lateral move from last year's Renteria.  He'll be an upgrade defensively and about the same with the stick.

Renteria himself admitted that Fenway and the AL was not a good fit.  Theo would have done the same thing.  The NL is a lot different and playing in the NL and the 20,000 that the Braves average is a lot different than the AL east and the rapid people packing Fenway.

I pray 'Rent bounces back.  His back injury and shoulder ding really worry me.  Boston couldn't go into '06 with a guy that (1) felt he made a mistake coming to Boston, (2) had his confidence SHOT, (3) was making 10 million a year for sub-par play and (4) the fans on his ass at every move.  He's never dealt with that in his entire career and doesn't like to feel as though he's let people down.  Rent had to go, Theo would have made that move.

Trust me - Theo's finger prints are all over this team.  He wanted to upgrade defense and sacrifice offense for youth, all while bolstering the pitching.  He said, before he left "be patient with this team, we're going in a different direction"...and funny, that direction was followed after he "left."

There is more than meets the eye, here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:21:32 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 10:32:53 am »

I don't think Cora is as solid as Renteria offensively. In fact, Cora is a career .244 hitter with a .659 OPS. Sure, Renteria didn't play like a $10 Million man last year, but Cora won't be an adequate substitution unless his defense is spectacular.

Can't blame the Mets bad season on Pedro. He was brilliant last year, not his fault the team had no offense. Damon's defense is far batter than Bernie's, who unfortunately has had injuries literally destroy the last 2 years of his career. In year 4 he won't be a good CF, but he should be fine for the first 3 years.

The Red Sox want to stick with the farm and that is a wise move, but they are in worse shape to contend in 2006 than they were in 2005. I believe Theo or Beane once said it's okay to sacrifice one year if it means you can be competitive for 6-8 years.

IMO, it's a good strategy and Boston will bounce back in 2007.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray