Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 08, 2024, 12:30:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Sox - Cleveland talks heat...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Sox - Cleveland talks heat...  (Read 6275 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: January 20, 2006, 08:22:21 am »

One of the reasons why Boston hasn't pulled a trigger on the Jeremy Reed deal is that they really want Indians CF Coco Crisp.

Crisp, in my opinion, is one of the best up and coming players out there.  He's 26, hit over .300 last year, 16 knocks, good handful of RBI's, great speed, good glove and a switch hitter.

So why, you may rightfully ask, would Cleveland let him go?

Coco made $365,000 last year and this year is the first time he is eligible for arbitration.  He's asking for 3 million and the Indians offered under one million.  Coco's numbers support the 3 million, Cleveland knows he's worth it, but that doesn't fit into their budget.  3 million for the Sox would be a bargain at CF.

It would cost Boston Andy Marte, the prospect that they obtained from Atlanta in the Renteria deal - and I would pull the trigger on this in a heart beat.  Crisp is only 26 and will get better and better.  He'll prosper even more hitting in the Sox lineup, probably at the 5 slot behind Ortiz (initially) and then maybe to the two.  He's not a classic leadoff guy, but could be groomed to that.

The Sox are also talking about a Wells for Steve Finley deal.  This makes sense only if Finley is being picked up as a fourth OF, much like the Giants are using him now.

Watch for the Coco talks to pick up some pretty good steam.  I've been waiting for the official Theo announcement for this to happen - Coco is exactly what Theo wants.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 04:17:15 pm »

i think it's going to take a lot more then marte. I think cleveland in the end will ask for marte and one of the red sox pitchers (the guys name that starts with P) or maybe lester.
DolFan619
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:17:19 pm »

If the Sox pick up Coco, their offense picks up immediately.  I've watched a lot of Coco Crisp in his spring training games.  This guy is most definately the real deal.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 07:41:30 pm »

Crisp is a very good player, but he is a left fielder. He can obviously move over, but Fenway Park is not the greatest place to learn how to play centerfield. In addition to it's depth, there are many odd dimensions to it that could make his defense there a liability, for at least the first season.

I would go after Jason Michaels if the Phillies weren't out of their mind with their asking price. From the Yankees, they wanted Wang and Eric Duncan who is one of our top prospects. From Boston, I would guess Arroyo and Papelbon.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 08:31:34 pm »

I don't agree.  There are a lot of visiting CF's that play Fenway just fine.  Coco spent 90% of his AA and AAA time in CF.  I'd prefer Coco first, second choice would be Reed and then maybe Michaels.  BUT - I'd rather have Jay Payton back over Michaels.

-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 10:38:38 am »

I don't agree.  There are a lot of visiting CF's that play Fenway just fine.  Coco spent 90% of his AA and AAA time in CF.  I'd prefer Coco first, second choice would be Reed and then maybe Michaels.  BUT - I'd rather have Jay Payton back over Michaels.

I assume you mean the 2005 Jay Payton that played for Oakland with a chip on his shoulder.

I wouldn't be shocked if Reed is with the Red Sox by 2006. The asking price for NYY was Carl Pavano which I am shocked we didn't take. From Boston, Matt Clement or less.

Jason Michaels is a good player but has character issues.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 12:45:41 am »

Sox get Coco Crisp and the Indians get Andy Marte and Guillermo Mota as long as the Indians complete a deal to get Jason Michaels from Philly.

The Sox farm system is good and they have money so losing a top prospect doesn't hurt them as much as other teams, but they better pray Lowell has a bounce back year at 3rd.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 07:27:39 pm »

...because?

Boston has three top 3B prospects, one at single A, one at Double A and one at triple A.  Lowell has always been looked at as a stop gap.

Boston also will sign Alex Gonzo to man SS.

As far as the Coco thing...weird how that Maine guy knew about this five days ago, eh?  Wink

Because Boston wants to contend this year. If Lowell is horrible and is replaced by the AAA guy, odds are he won't be a good enough replacement(in 2006)to help them contend.

Can't afford to have a blackhole in the lineup.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 06:28:41 am »

I don't understand where this "Boston needs a super star / stud at every position to compete" crap comes from.  

Suddenly - Boston needs a .310 / 30/110 guy at 3B to contend?  Really?  That's weird.  See the year that they won the World Series their 3B position hit .295 / 12 / 57.  Last year, a 95 win year (by the way), it was .283 / 10 / 62.  2004 Billy had 14 errors, 10 in 2005.

Hmmmm.  Where in the world could Boston find a third basemen that hits .280 with 10 home runs and a decent glove?  Where, oh where?  

Hey...how about ANYWHERE?  Dime a dozen.

Same deal with short stop.  I mention that Alex Cora - at worst - would be equal to last year's Renteria.  I'm told "no...Rent has a better glove."

Really?  Explain to me how Cora has 74 life time errors (and has been in the league since '98)...Renteria had almost half of that number LAST YEAR ALONE...how LAST YEAR'S Renteria wouldn't be a lateral move if Cora were slotted in that position?  It wouldn't take much to get the same production offensively as Rent produced - and Cora would need to be average defense to equal Rent's efforts for next year.

I find it really funny that the Yankees go into the season with Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Carl Pavano, Aaron Small and Jared Wright as their starting five...yet that doesn't have as many (or more) question marks than Boston's?  Or the fact that Toronto signed a guy with less than 50 life time saves to be their stopper...and that is a sure bet versus a guy that has 190 career saves, a World Series ring, and a lifetime 3.23 ERA?

Here's a news flash:  Every team has question marks...Boston's are no more underlined than any one else's.  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 06:32:45 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

-Voltaire
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray