Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 06:12:24 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Senior Bowl thoughts: Jay Cutler and Brodie Croyle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Ten years from now, which of these top 2006 QB prospects will have had the best career?
Matt Leinart
Vince Young
Jay Cutler
Brodie Croyle
Other (post in-thread)

Author Topic: Senior Bowl thoughts: Jay Cutler and Brodie Croyle  (Read 7163 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:18:44 pm »

With the 2006 Senior Bowl set to kickoff in less than an hour, here are a few things I expect to see from arguably the two best NFL QB prospects active today, and a few things I'm looking for.

Jay Cutler -

Expect: Will start for the North and probably play the first quarter. May play late in the game after Whitehurst and Robinson have gotten some time, based on game situation. He has three big-but-not-so-speedy WRs in Stovall, Hagan and Nance, so I expect HC Fisher to throw short-to-medium range and out routes to play to hsi strengths.

Looking for: Feet in general and movement in the pocket. Cutler will be going against some brutal South pass rushers early, and I want to see how he handles pressure. Does he force it? Does he eat it? Does he channel Fred Astaire and dance around? I'm also looking for his delivery point. He's worked on throwing more over the top this week, and I want to see how well he's retained that.

Brodie Croyle -

Expect: Will start for the South (Nolan hasn't announced it, but it's the call) and probably play the first quarter. May play late in the game after Shockley and Hackney get some work, based probably more on who Nolan wants more of a look at than actual game situation (and possibly how much he wants to please the partisan Alabama crowd). I expect all the South QB's to see less usage than the North because of the South's superior RB's

Looking for: Accuracy... Brodie had a good week of practice, but sometimes overthrew on the mid-deep routes. Outside of Sinorice Moss, he has little talent to throw to, but since Moss' strength is speed, I'm hoping this translates to Croyle taking a few deep shots downfield. On plays where he has the time to go through his check-downs, I'm looking to see if he stares down his WRs...he did that during his Tide days and this week as well.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 03:23:27 pm by Sunstroke » Logged

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:45:51 pm »

One last Senior Bowl thought...and this applies to the locals only<g>. I'm heading over to Pat's Place on Atlantic in Pompano to watch the Senior Bowl front and center on their big screen, whilst munching wings and having a cold frosty beverage or six. Anyone who wants to watch the last college football game of the year is welcome...I'll save ya a wing or 2.

If you need directions, look it up, ya lazy dog, or call my cell. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 12:39:10 am »

I didn't get to see the game, but everything I am reading says Croyle raised his stock.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 01:59:35 am »

I didn't get to see the game, but everything I am reading says Croyle raised his stock.

Brodie did look good (perfect on his first drive), and I thought Whitehurst looked pretty decent as well. Despite the interception by Cutler and the 6-for-18 performance (or close to that...no box score in front of me), I thought Jay answered some things and didn't really hurt his stock too much. I hope he looks at his own numbers and decides he can still prove some things at the combine or the Vandy pro day, because I'd like to see some more of Jay before the draft.

Other guys who really impressed today...

Texas CB Cedric Griffin, who made the very impressive diving over the WR interception off of Cutler.

VA OT D-Brick, who looks more and more like Orlando Pace every time I look at him.

USC TE Dominique Byrd, who will contribute immediately to whoever drafts him. Great hands and great at using his body to block out opponents in traffic.

Penn State DE Tamba Hali, who handled every OT he had to face, including Eric Winston. Wish he'd have been on the opposite side of D-Brick for this one, that could have been fun to watch.

Clemson CB Tye Hill, who looked like a legit NFL cover corner on every play.

WR Sinorice Moss, who looks like he will make the transition to NFL multi-purpose WR/KR speed-demon with no problems.

A couple of guys who took a hit, imo, by their performances today:

WRs Derek Hagan and Martin Nance, who dropped as many dollar signs as they did passes this week. Hagan came in looking like a mid-first rounder, and now he'll be lucky to go on day one...it was almost like he was channeling the ghost of Koren Robinson out there...

Penn St QB Michael Robinson, who isn't going to get any kind of shot at playing QB at the next level, and some personnel guys think he won't cut it as a WR or a safety either. Think Eric Crouch, with a better tan.

~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 10:00:37 am »

Brodie did look good (perfect on his first drive), and I thought Whitehurst looked pretty decent as well. Despite the interception by Cutler and the 6-for-18 performance (or close to that...no box score in front of me), I thought Jay answered some things and didn't really hurt his stock too much. I hope he looks at his own numbers and decides he can still prove some things at the combine or the Vandy pro day, because I'd like to see some more of Jay before the draft.

Other guys who really impressed today...

Texas CB Cedric Griffin, who made the very impressive diving over the WR interception off of Cutler.

VA OT D-Brick, who looks more and more like Orlando Pace every time I look at him.

USC TE Dominique Byrd, who will contribute immediately to whoever drafts him. Great hands and great at using his body to block out opponents in traffic.

Penn State DE Tamba Hali, who handled every OT he had to face, including Eric Winston. Wish he'd have been on the opposite side of D-Brick for this one, that could have been fun to watch.

Clemson CB Tye Hill, who looked like a legit NFL cover corner on every play.

WR Sinorice Moss, who looks like he will make the transition to NFL multi-purpose WR/KR speed-demon with no problems.

A couple of guys who took a hit, imo, by their performances today:

WRs Derek Hagan and Martin Nance, who dropped as many dollar signs as they did passes this week. Hagan came in looking like a mid-first rounder, and now he'll be lucky to go on day one...it was almost like he was channeling the ghost of Koren Robinson out there...

Penn St QB Michael Robinson, who isn't going to get any kind of shot at playing QB at the next level, and some personnel guys think he won't cut it as a WR or a safety either. Think Eric Crouch, with a better tan.

Enjoyed the read.  Good post.  You bring up some valid points.  The funny thing is, I talked to Phinatic and he told me EXACTLY THE SAME THING about these guys.  He actually went to the game and spent this past week in Mobile meeting Dolphins coaches and scouts. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:00:51 pm »

Enjoyed the read. Good post. You bring up some valid points. The funny thing is, I talked to Phinatic and he told me EXACTLY THE SAME THING about these guys. He actually went to the game and spent this past week in Mobile meeting Dolphins coaches and scouts.

Probably not "exactly," (I can't imagine Doug using the "channeling the ghost of koren robinson" line there<g>) but I'm not surprised that a lot of people came away from the Senior Bowl with similar views on certain players' performances. Some players really looked good and others looked like they didn't belong at all. I would have loved to go to Mobile though (and the combine as well) ...hopefully it will be something I can do in the future for this site.  Grin

~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 07:19:23 pm »

Probably not "exactly," (I can't imagine Doug using the "channeling the ghost of koren robinson" line there<g>) but I'm not surprised that a lot of people came away from the Senior Bowl with similar views on certain players' performances. Some players really looked good and others looked like they didn't belong at all. I would have loved to go to Mobile though (and the combine as well) ...hopefully it will be something I can do in the future for this site.  Grin

True, not exactly, but he had a damned good time.  Mobile is his turf, and he's been doing this for the past three years.  I'd love to have gone with him and tipped a couple back with Randy Mueller and Nick Saban. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 12:24:20 am »

I'd love to have gone with him and tipped a couple back with Randy Mueller and Nick Saban. 

Although your life may revolve around drinking, I doubt either one of them was drinking while at the Senior Bowl.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:27:43 am »

Although your life may revolve around drinking, I doubt either one of them was drinking while at the Senior Bowl.

I'm sure they had a couple of drinks after hours.  Most coaches do.   As for your off-the-wall comment about my life, let's get two things straight:

1. My life does not revolve around drinking.  To me, drinking is stress relief.

2.  There's a big difference between drinking and getting drunk.  Having a couple of beers does not get you drunk, unless you're about 5'0 and weigh 100 pounds soaking wet.
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:54 am »

Here are my thoughts:

1) Brodie Croyle is god awful. I've seen him play numerous times and he is terrible.

2) Cutler may have been 6 for 18, but he had numerous dropped balls by receivers and looked fine.

3) This Tamba Hali guy from PSU is a beast. Unreal.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 10:17:54 am »

Here are my thoughts:

2) Cutler may have been 6 for 18, but he had numerous dropped balls by receivers and looked fine.

Those receivers had hands of stone and apparently did all week.
bsfins
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 01:02:20 pm »

Those receivers had hands of stone and apparently did all week.
Note to self,The Wr's in this draft probably suck....Don't wish for a late round gem....
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 01:53:09 pm »

Note to self,The Wr's in this draft probably suck....Don't wish for a late round gem....

As much sense as this makes, I'm thinking that some of the better WRs in this draft class are likely going to massively slide on draft day...so maybe there will be a decent pick in the mid-late rounds for WRs. Overall, I'd definitely say this isn't a deep class for receivers, but don't go too all-in over the fact that the North's WRs had the dropsies this week...there is still some talent in there to be had.

~ Micah Leggat
JMoney13

JMoney134u
Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 08:47:41 pm »

Not to be an Alabama homer, but:

Denver Bronco is a moron.  Brodie Croyle plays at Alabama, a running school.  He lost Prothro at the Florida game and those are the reasons why he didnt put up the kind of numbers like Leinart or Cutler.  Also he probably has the second best intangibles in the draft behind Leinart and has arguably the strongest arm of all the QBs.  Did you see that pass to Sinorice Moss? Insane.

D'Brick is a beast.  He is the best OT in the draft.  But I saw one play where Mark Anderson (DE Alabama) probably a second day pick, gave him an outside move and then sprinted right by him inside, annhilating the QB.  If he is so good, how could at happen, unless people are underestimating Mark Anderson?

2005 TDMMC Fantasy Baseball Champion
Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:04 pm »

Not to be an Alabama homer, but:

Denver Bronco is a moron.  Brodie Croyle plays at Alabama, a running school.  He lost Prothro at the Florida game and those are the reasons why he didnt put up the kind of numbers like Leinart or Cutler.  Also he probably has the second best intangibles in the draft behind Leinart and has arguably the strongest arm of all the QBs.  Did you see that pass to Sinorice Moss? Insane.

D'Brick is a beast.  He is the best OT in the draft.  But I saw one play where Mark Anderson (DE Alabama) probably a second day pick, gave him an outside move and then sprinted right by him inside, annhilating the QB.  If he is so good, how could at happen, unless people are underestimating Mark Anderson?
Croyle is such a beast that Alabama averaged what, 10 pts a game ? That's not by accident. He sucks. Hope you guys draft him. The only reason he is even recognized is because Alabama's D had them in contention at 9-0 until of course they played LSu and he was forced to actually win a game on his own and he couldn't do it.

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray