Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 02:24:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  You're the GM - Seattle Seahawks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: You're the GM - Seattle Seahawks  (Read 3015 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: February 11, 2006, 11:07:06 am »

What are your long/short term strengths/weaknesses?
What do you look for in the draft?
What offseason moves might you make?

GO!

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 11:38:11 am »

RTW and I were actually talking about this yesterday...

Long-Term strengths: Great offensive line, young fast defense, well-balanced offensive attack

Short term weaknesses: Cap concerns over the next two seasons, needs more playmakers in defensive backfield

Draft possibilities: FS, WR, O-line depth

Offseason moves...lock up Alexander and Hutchinson to long-term contracts, look at possible FA safeties and WRs.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dphins4me
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 12:35:31 pm »

Offseason moves...lock up Alexander and Hutchinson to long-term contracts, look at possible FA safeties and WRs.
If Seattle is headed for Cap trouble, then they need to let Alexander walk.

He will be 29 years old before next season & has average 330 carries over the last 5 years.  His time as a productive back is most likely about to end.  Time for Seattle to let him walk & find another back.   Unless they think they can return to the Super Bowl next year & morgage the future for another chance next season then sign him, but if you think long term & short term then find another back.

As for Hutchinson.  As great as he is, he is still a guard.  Guards are not worth 20 million in bonus money which is what I've heard his agent is looking for.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 02:51:34 pm »

If Seattle is headed for Cap trouble, then they need to let Alexander walk.
As for Hutchinson. As great as he is, he is still a guard. Guards are not worth 20 million in bonus money which is what I've heard his agent is looking for.

I disagree on Alexander, but can't dispute the logic on Hutchinson's value for that position.

My opinion on Alexander is simple... Shaun is a franchise-carrying RB. He's a guarantee to keep your franchise in contention for Super Bowl appearances for the next 3-5 years. He's a TD machine with zero injury concerns who excels in every facet of the term "all-purpose back." He runs well between the tackles, runs well to the edges, catches well out of the backfield and even blocks well in pass coverage. He's the single best red-zone RB in the league, and as long as TDs are 6 points and whoever scores the most points win, Alexander is as valuable as any player in the league.

You pay him what it takes to lock him up...if not, send his ass down to San Francisco, where I promise his talents will be properly appreciated.  Grin

Hutchinson is a lesser concern, and strictly for cap purposes, is a logical choice to see hit the bricks. That said, all the posturing coming from Hutch's agent about "how much he wants" hasn't realistically taken the market value for top-tier OG's into account. I expect Seattle will stonewall the ridiculous numbers until Hutchinson realizes that no other team will be willing to pay him that either. If he comes down enough to make it feasible, then I'd hope Seattle would keep him.

If they don't keep him, I actually think that Hutch's backup, Floyd Womack could develop into an adequate starter. I also think there are enough decent OG's in this year's draft class that Holmgren could find a solid developmental candidate to groom while using Womack (or FA acquisition) as a stop-gap solution at LG next to Walter...or at RG, should Holmgren and Laveroni think that sliding the venerable Chris Gray to LG works better.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dphins4me
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 03:41:13 pm »

I disagree on Alexander, but can't dispute the logic on Hutchinson's value for that position.

My opinion on Alexander is simple... Shaun is a franchise-carrying RB. He's a guarantee to keep your franchise in contention for Super Bowl appearances for the next 3-5 years. He's a TD machine with zero injury concerns who excels in every facet of the term "all-purpose back." He runs well between the tackles, runs well to the edges, catches well out of the backfield and even blocks well in pass coverage. He's the single best red-zone RB in the league, and as long as TDs are 6 points and whoever scores the most points win, Alexander is as valuable as any player in the league.

You pay him what it takes to lock him up...if not, send his ass down to San Francisco, where I promise his talents will be properly appreciated.  Grin

Just in case you do not know, NFL history proves that outside a very small few NFL RBs (Curtis Martin, Payton & Sanders ) that take the pounding over their first 6 years of their career decline quickly after age 28.  Before you think about Tiki Barber, he did not carry the ball full time until year 6 of his career.  He average only 125 carries for the first 5 years.

Now that does not mean Alexander will not be productive, just not as productive as they have been the first part of their career..   Not enough to justify his new pay.  Plus after having 5 or 6 years of 300 Lb lineman falling on them, injurys usually start to add up.

Alexander will most likely be alright next season, its the years after that is where the concern lies.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 05:49:54 pm »

Just in case you do not know, NFL history proves that outside a very small few NFL RBs (Curtis Martin, Payton & Sanders ) that take the pounding over their first 6 years of their career decline quickly after age 28. Before you think about Tiki Barber, he did not carry the ball full time until year 6 of his career. He average only 125 carries for the first 5 years.

Tiki would have never entered my mind...I swear. Priest either, for the same reason.

I do understand your point...that the general wear-and-tear pounding RBs take has a dehabilitating effect on RBs. I've warned folks on the same thing on a number of occasions.

I also believe that Alexander is one of those exceptional players.

I think that if you go back and look at the RBs who DO end up showing the longevity factor of some of the RBs you list, you'll see that the fewer number of injuries they suffer (and the severity), early in their career, the greater the RB's chance of performing at a high level later. Alexander has run, injury-free, behind a wall that's protected him well. That will contribute to Shaun maintaining his high level of productivity for the next 3+ seasons.

But, as in all things where two people have differing opinions on what the future will bring...we'll apparently have to wait for the future to bring it.  Grin

~ Micah Leggat
Dphins4me
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 10:49:04 pm »

I also believe that Alexander is one of those exceptional players.
  As long as you know the odds going in, then that is all that matters.

TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 10:37:32 am »

Jerheme Urban     WR     RFA     
Jimmy Williams    CB    UFA    
Joe Jurevicius    WR    UFA    
Joe Tafoya    DE    UFA    
John Howell    S    UFA    
Josh Brown    PK    RFA    
Kevin Bentley    LB    UFA    
Kevin House    CB    UFA    
Mack Strong    FB    UFA    
Marquand Manuel    S    UFA    
Maurice Morris    RB    UFA    
Peter Warrick    WR    UFA    
Rocky Bernard    DT    UFA    
Rodney Bailey    DE    UFA    
Ryan Hannam    TE    UFA    
Seneca Wallace    QB    RFA    
Shaun Alexander    RB    UFA    
Steve Hutchinson    OG    UFA    
Tom Rouen    P    UFA    
Wayne Hunter    OT    RFA

1 - Resign: Alexander, Wayne Hunter, Steve Hutchinson, Peter Warrick, Jurevicius, Mack Strong, & Ryan Hannam.

2 - Get help on that DL either through the draft or FA. Orien Harris is a solid DT prospect from where else but the U - he is projected as a late 1st/early 2nd rounder so he should be available. They also need ends who can rush the QB better. Winstrom has been a disappointment for them plus he's aging. Good emotional leader with intangibles, but not enough production as of late.

3 - Cut Rouen he sucks. Could never pin the Steelers back in the SB & was pissing the walrus off all day that game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray