Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 01:18:05 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Raiders hire Art Shell as HC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Raiders hire Art Shell as HC  (Read 6002 times)
jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« on: February 11, 2006, 02:41:23 pm »

After all that time, the Raiders hired Art Shell as head coach.

Awful.  He sucks like Jim Haslett sucks.  Terrible move.

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 04:08:54 pm »

This just in:

The Dolphins hired Don Shula as head coach and the Jets hired Bruce Coslett.  This coming mere weeks after the Bills hired Marv Levy...

News at 11.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 04:16:03 pm »

I have one question for the Raiders that pretty much sums it up....

...Why?

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 07:24:34 pm »

I have one question for the Raiders that pretty much sums it up....

...Why?

Art Shell was the last coach to get the Raiders to play at a respectable level before John Gruden took over.  I won't count Bill Callahan's Super Bowl run because he was experiencing the "Residual Gruden" effect. 
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 12:57:18 am »

Why you ask?  My guess is that no other respectable coach would take the job.  Who in their right mind wants to work for Al Davis.

Has Art Shell coached at all since being fired by the Los Angeles Raiders back in 1994?

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
Frimp
Uber Member

Join us!

billselby9773
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 01:15:20 am »

I believe he was a coordinator for a team or two. His name was also brought up when the ACLU was whining about the lack of black coaches last year.

http://www.phinvaders.com 2012 events...stay tuned.
BILL PARCELLS for Ring of Dishonor!!! (and don't forget Eric Green)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 01:38:58 am »

I believe he was a coordinator for a team or two. His name was also brought up when the ACLU was whining about the lack of black coaches last year.
I think, for this reason, he's been interviewed for 694573773 coaching positions, by Al Davis is the only one that actually considered hiring him.

(again)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 01:48:33 am »

Once Whisenhunt and Petrino said "no thanks," Oakland was in some trouble. While this is definitely a last option, panic-mode pick, Shell does give a tie-in to the old school Raiders fans...probably the biggest plus side he offers.

I feel nothing for Oakland's pain...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
run_to_win
Uber Member
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 02:16:23 am »

Really?  Maybe I'm just sick but their pain brings me much joy.  I do feel for some of the "nice guys" like Marques Tuiasopo who were drafted by the team - but not enough to control my laughter at the mounting losses. 

Hypersensitive bullies should not frequent message boards.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 08:32:22 am »

Once Whisenhunt and Petrino said "no thanks," Oakland was in some trouble. While this is definitely a last option, panic-mode pick, Shell does give a tie-in to the old school Raiders fans...probably the biggest plus side he offers.

I don't think there's gonna be pain.  I'd hate to say this 'Stroke, knowing you're a Niners fan and all cuz I know the Bay Area rivalry is important.... but I think Art Shell is gonna bring the Raiders back to where they were in the early 90's. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 10:33:32 am »

I don't think there's gonna be pain. I'd hate to say this 'Stroke, knowing you're a Niners fan and all cuz I know the Bay Area rivalry is important.... but I think Art Shell is gonna bring the Raiders back to where they were in the early 90's.

I agree.  I don't see why everyone has such a bad perception of him.  I was watching ESPN this morning, and they said that he had the same record there that Gruden did.

I drink your milkshake!
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 11:14:07 am »

He continued coaching for a couple  teams as a line coach. He was last with the Falcons.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 11:58:06 am »

I think Art Shell is gonna bring the Raiders back to where they were in the early 90's.

I agree. I don't see why everyone has such a bad perception of him. I was watching ESPN this morning, and they said that he had the same record there that Gruden did.

He didn't have that record with THIS Raiders team...

Tommy, Dave ... Art Shell will not take Oakland to the playoffs this time around. Shell's career 54-38 record at this point with the Raiders will become a sub-.500 career record if Shell keeps this job for 4 years before getting axed.

Mark it down...'cause I'll be gravedigging this one after Shell's Raiders win 6 games or less every season he's back before Al Davis better-deals the guy again.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2006, 01:56:47 pm »

He didn't have that record with THIS Raiders team...

Tommy, Dave ... Art Shell will not take Oakland to the playoffs this time around. Shell's career 54-38 record at this point with the Raiders will become a sub-.500 career record if Shell keeps this job for 4 years before getting axed.

Mark it down...'cause I'll be gravedigging this one after Shell's Raiders win 6 games or less every season he's back before Al Davis better-deals the guy again.

The thing is, he can get the most out of his players.  I agree in the 90's he had Bo Jackson and that dominating defense, which was much better than this year's team, but he could easily improve the record by 3 or 4 wins. 

Go ahead and gravedig, 'Stroke.  As a matter of fact, let's do a little poop bet.  Art Shell will bring the Raiders to the playoffs at least once before he leaves the team. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 03:44:02 pm »

I honestly don't have strong enough feelings about our ugly cousins on the other side of the Bay ro wager anything on it...besides, after the 400 poop bets that everyone made after I resurrected the ancient wager makes me think it was best left in the ground.

I will be gravedigging this thread though...because Shell will flop like a big old flounder this time around. Al Davis has zero patience for HC's who don't win immediately, and Shell will get ousted before he has any real chance to win in the NFL's toughest division.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray