Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 06:56:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Seau
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Seau  (Read 10978 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 02:07:12 pm »

Here's a possible thought on why he wasn't on the cut list. If he decides to retire, as opposed to us cutting him, does it help us cap wise?  I'm not sure how salary numbers get pro rated if a guy retires.  It will definitely save him some face- he leaves the game by his own choice instead of because he gets cut. Maybe Saban and his agent have agreed to something along these lines, if it helps our cap number.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 02:58:30 pm »

I don't think there's any difference in salary cap between cutting a player and him retiring.
bsfins
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2006, 03:46:34 pm »

Seau,has stated a few times he wants atleast 1 more year....He feels he can still play...
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2006, 04:35:11 pm »

Seau,has stated a few times he wants atleast 1 more year....He feels he can still play...

I don't think I've ever heard a player say "I'm all washed up and it's time to retire."  When allowed, the vast majority of professional atheletes play too long.  I trust Saban to make the right choice. 
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2006, 06:21:20 pm »

He also wants another shot at a title.  If he's willing to restructure and save us money on the cap, I would have no problem giving him another year.
bsfins
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 01:44:36 am »

I wasn't endorsing him to come back I've always felt he was washed up before he got here,and does whatever the hell he wants.He doesn't play the system well,tries to make plays...but misses the tackle leaving the rest of his team mates in a lurch.Ever notice,since Seau has been a dolphin...He makes a good play he's the only person celebrating....If Jason taylor,Zach...Just about anyone else makes a play...There is other players celebrating with them...

...He's stated that he wanted to come back and play for one more year,and stated it my not be with the Dolphins,but he'll play somewhere....(It was in a story,When the dolphins went out to play the Chargers)
Dphins4me
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 09:31:56 am »

Yea, but his body doesn't feel the same way.   The mind does not age like the body does.  He is done.  I hate it when a great one simply wants to hang on to the spot light for just a sec longer.  Marino stayed too long.  Most do not know when its over, unless you slap them in the face.

I really cannot see any team signing him, just to watch him get injured.
Dphins4me
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 09:35:07 am »

He also wants another shot at a title.  If he's willing to restructure and save us money on the cap, I would have no problem giving him another year.
The thing is I do not see him taking a backup spot & being happy about it.  If he will play for the vet min. then sure let him stick around & teach & be a backup.  However, no way should he be starting.

Seau I think will still believe he is a starter though, which when healthy he might can be, but his body is breaking down & cannot last a full year.  His injuries have not been major injuries, & that is a great example of his body breaking down. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2006, 06:00:31 pm »

NFL Radio just announced that he was released today. I just found the story on the Fins site...

Dolphins Release Junior Seau
March 6, 2006

The Miami Dolphins today terminated the contract of linebacker Junior Seau. In addition, the club announced that it waived tight end Lorenzo Diamond.

“One of the most difficult parts of my job is having to release players, and the past week has emphasized this fact,” said Dolphins Head Coach Nick Saban. “This is especially true when those players made significant contributions to the success of the team in the past. Ideally, we would like to keep many of those players on our roster, but we are simply not able to do that.”

Seau, a veteran of 16 NFL seasons, spent the last three years with the Dolphins after being acquired in a 2003 trade with San Diego, with whom he spent the first 13 years of his career (1990-2002). Last year with Miami, he played in seven games before being placed on injured reserve with an Achilles injury on November 24.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 10:26:50 pm »

That sucks.  I will say this though.  Once this deal gets done and the cap room is clearly set, Saban may be willing to bring him back for less money. 
Jeno

S'up Bitches??

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 07:40:33 am »

Yeah im with Tommy on this one, cos i think Seau is an absolute legend.

I hope Saban gives him another year. Simply because i think the Dolphins could do with some more hard hitting players beyond the D-Line (apart from the Legendary Zach Thomas). Seau is a tough player, and at a cut-price for 2006, yeah i'd take him.

"Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, fuck him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He fucked me over, and my attitude is an eye for an eye."

Roy Keane - Manchester United
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle, Observer Monthly Magazine
mcduff81
Uber Member

2007 NCAA Tournament!!

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 07:44:17 am »

Larry Csonka is a legend as well. It doesn't mean I him on the Dolphins.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 10:00:53 am »

Seau hasn't been able to stay healthy for the last two years. He's a great guy and all, but let him waste a roster spot on somebody else's team.

Jeno

S'up Bitches??

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 12:35:30 pm »

Larry Csonka is a legend as well. It doesn't mean I him on the Dolphins.

Thats true i suppose lads, its just a shame to see him go this way i think!

"Even in the dressing room afterwards, I had no remorse. My attitude was, fuck him. What goes around comes around. He got his just rewards. He fucked me over, and my attitude is an eye for an eye."

Roy Keane - Manchester United
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle, Observer Monthly Magazine
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2006, 06:38:20 pm »

It's not just salary cap, it's also the roster limit.  Each year we end up cutting players that could help the team, but we just don't have the room.  Seau's value isn't enough to justify a spot on the roster, regardless of the salary.

I recognize that he was a great player and will be a lock for the HOF, but those days are gone. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray