Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 12:21:42 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  CBA gets a 6 year extension.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: CBA gets a 6 year extension.  (Read 7342 times)
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:52:21 pm »

NFL owners approve six-year CBA extensionESPN.com news services

NFL owners have approved a six-year extension of the collective bargaining agreement by a vote of 30-2 Wednesday night.

Buffalo and Cincinnati were the two teams to vote against the proposal, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Good! Let free agency begin!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:35:42 am by Dave Gray » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:54:07 pm »

A little more info from ESPN:

• Free agency will start at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday, 24 hours later than scheduled.
• The 2006 salary cap will be around $105 million.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:03:20 pm »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!   THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:02:34 pm »

the best news i've heard in a long long long long long time.

Thanks, Philly
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 10:08:07 pm »

I just came back in from the blimp base ride and heard Rich Eisen say the words "labor peace" as I was coming through the door. I am an extremely happy puppy...let the FA season "officially" begin!  Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 10:22:27 pm »

A little more info from ESPN:

• Free agency will start at 12:01 a.m. ET Friday, 24 hours later than scheduled.
• The 2006 salary cap will be around $105 million.

I just heard Adam Schefter say that it's actually going to be $102 million...and I just heard Upshaw say 102-103.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DolFan619
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 10:25:28 pm »

Thank goodness this mess is over!  Finally, the free agency period can begin!
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 10:26:52 pm »

I just heard Adam Schefter say that it's actually going to be $102 million...and I just heard Upshaw say 102-103.

Either way, its better than what it currently is.

jtex316
YJFF Member
Uber Member

2011 NFC East Champions!

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 11:03:08 pm »

I'm also glad to see that the owners pulled together and didn't allow an NHL lockout type thing to possibly happen.

Good job everyone, except you pricks in Buffalo and Cincinnati (there goes UK_Dolfan's Dallas and Washington theory)

Giants: '56 NFL Champs; Super Bowl XXI, XXV, XLII Champs
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 11:06:59 pm »

I'm also glad to see that the owners pulled together and didn't allow an NHL lockout type thing to possibly happen.

Good job everyone, except you pricks in Buffalo and Cincinnati (there goes UK_Dolfan's Dallas and Washington theory)
The surprising thing about this is that two smaller market teams voted against it. The biggest hold up was expected to be the revenue sharing plan. On NFL Radio today they were saying how they need 2/3's of the teams to say yes in order for it to pass. So that would be 24 teams. The odd part is that there are 9 teams that are the "revenue generating" teams (Miami is one of them). Leaving 23 revenue losers. They said that most revenue generators would be against the revenue sharing portion of the deal. Yet they all voted for yes, and the only two teams to vote no are revenue losing teams.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 11:10:32 pm »

The odd part is that there are 9 teams that are the "revenue generating" teams (Miami is one of them). Leaving 23 revenue losers.

Surprised to hear that.  From what I've read, if the agreement had not been reached and 2007 would've been an uncapped year,  the Dolphins would've been a "middle-of-the-pack" team in terms of spending money to sign free agents. 
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:14:21 pm »

Surprised to hear that.  From what I've read, if the agreement had not been reached and 2007 would've been an uncapped year,  the Dolphins would've been a "middle-of-the-pack" team in terms of spending money to sign free agents. 

I guess "revenue generating" doesn't always transalte into "spend happy". I remember Houston, Dallas, New England, Washington and Philadelphia were also on the list. I can't recall the others.

Surprisingly, both New York teams, both Bay area teams and Chicago were not on the list (despite being in huge markets).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 11:18:39 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

Denver_Bronco
Uber Member

America's team

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 07:17:00 am »

Welcome to Denver TO & Jamal Lewis

Bronco: An unbroken or imperfectly broken range horse of western No. America
Donkey: Descendant of the African wild ass that has been used as a beast of burden since 4000BC.
Jackass: Someone who doesn't know the difference.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:35:13 am »

Here's why old guys should not be allowed to own teams. Despite the fact that he is one of the two lowest revenue generating teams (Cincy being the other- both teams that voted no), and that the new revenue sharing plan will make him money, Ralph Wilson voted no. Here's his thinking:

"I didn't understand it," said Buffalo's Ralph Wilson. "It is a very complicated issue and I didn't believe we should be rushing to vote in 45 minutes. I'm not a dropout ... or maybe I am. I didn't understand it."

He also forgot to take his medicine after eating his applesauce for dinner and crapped his pants during the meeting.

YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 07:43:30 am »

I guess "revenue generating" doesn't always transalte into "spend happy". I remember Houston, Dallas, New England, Washington and Philadelphia were also on the list. I can't recall the others.

Surprisingly, both New York teams, both Bay area teams and Chicago were not on the list (despite being in huge markets).

That's also interesting.  Because the article I read classified all of those teams as high revenue and the owners as "deep pocketed".  It listed Huizenga's pockets as "not-so-deep".  That's why it labeled the Dolphins as a middle-of-the-pack team. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray