Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 10:31:12 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  CBA gets a 6 year extension.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: CBA gets a 6 year extension.  (Read 7332 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 10:36:28 am »

Here's why old guys should not be allowed to own teams. Despite the fact that he is one of the two lowest revenue generating teams (Cincy being the other- both teams that voted no), and that the new revenue sharing plan will make him money, Ralph Wilson voted no. Here's his thinking:

"I didn't understand it," said Buffalo's Ralph Wilson. "It is a very complicated issue and I didn't believe we should be rushing to vote in 45 minutes. I'm not a dropout ... or maybe I am. I didn't understand it."

He also forgot to take his medicine after eating his applesauce for dinner and crapped his pants during the meeting.
This is embarrassing to the Buffalo Bills organization.  If you don't know what the hell is going on, send a representative who's not a moron.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 11:56:27 am »

That's also interesting.  Because the article I read classified all of those teams as high revenue and the owners as "deep pocketed".  It listed Huizenga's pockets as "not-so-deep".  That's why it labeled the Dolphins as a middle-of-the-pack team. 

Wayne's net worth in 2001 was $1.8 billion. Those are pretty deep pockets if you ask me. He is constantly on the Forbe's list.
ADeadSmitty
Uber Member

What can Brown do for us?

ADeadSmitty
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 12:13:20 pm »

The owner's net worth doesn't matter. What matters is whether the team pulls in enough revenue to support a big payroll. Why would an owner want to pour money down the drain just because he's wealthy?
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 12:16:44 pm »

He also forgot to take his medicine after eating his applesauce for dinner and crapped his pants during the meeting.

I saw the clip on sports center......he looked like a dottering old fool.  No wonder they brought Levy back in.  At 112, Levy can offer a youthful perspective for the Bills owners.

By the way Philly, great line.
Jim Gray
Global Moderator
Uber Member

'72 - The Perfect Season

texasjimgray
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 12:34:46 pm »

Good job everyone, except you pricks in Buffalo and Cincinnati (there goes UK_Dolfan's Dallas and Washington theory)

Maybe it blows my theory.......maybe not.  I called out Dallas and Washington because that's what was being reported.  I don't claim to have any special connection where I'm getting the inside scoop.  The reports make sense, so I believe them.  Jones and Snyder are a-typical owners.  They are relatively new to the "owners club", super rich, generate more money, get involved in team decisions and would benefit the most from a change to the rules.  Plus, it's just my opinion that they are both assholes who would do something like this.

From what little I've heard, both Jones and Snyder came around after Upshaw said the players wouldn't negotiate until the owners resolved revenue sharing.   Maybe they saw that it was going to get the votes it needed to pass, and figured it would be better to go ahead and support it.  Who knows.  Something was said about Jones being more afraid of the likely alternative. 

As for the 2 teams that voted against the proposal, I think we can dismiss Buffalo, since it's clear that Wilson only voted against it because he couldn't understand it.  I have no idea why Cincy voted "no"; but I'm sure it will come out shortly.

Props to Upshaw for helping Tagliabue get the deal done.
raptorsfan29
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 12:46:32 pm »

i like it and dislike the new agreement

i like it because Miami will have more cap to work with

i hate it because new england has a chance to be even better.
DolFan619
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 12:57:06 pm »

I have been laughing at this line all morning!  Philly, you made my day.  OMG, that is hilarious!
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 01:02:19 pm »

Maybe it blows my theory.......maybe not.  I called out Dallas and Washington because that's what was being reported.  I don't claim to have any special connection where I'm getting the inside scoop.  The reports make sense, so I believe them.  Jones and Snyder are a-typical owners.  They are relatively new to the "owners club", super rich, generate more money, get involved in team decisions and would benefit the most from a change to the rules.  Plus, it's just my opinion that they are both assholes who would do something like this.

From what little I've heard, both Jones and Snyder came around after Upshaw said the players wouldn't negotiate until the owners resolved revenue sharing.   Maybe they saw that it was going to get the votes it needed to pass, and figured it would be better to go ahead and support it.  Who knows.  Something was said about Jones being more afraid of the likely alternative. 

As for the 2 teams that voted against the proposal, I think we can dismiss Buffalo, since it's clear that Wilson only voted against it because he couldn't understand it.  I have no idea why Cincy voted "no"; but I'm sure it will come out shortly.

Props to Upshaw for helping Tagliabue get the deal done.

Dude, you couldnt be more wrong in your assumption about jones. From what im reading he was very instrumental in getting the deal done. Of course he wants what's best for his team, but he also knows the league is far more important. Also you do know that 24 votes were needed for ratification, so jones and synder werent the only high revenue clubs who needed convincing on the proposal.

Cap or no cap jones is will spare no expense at getting players he really wants........Bottom line!!!!!

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 01:04:37 pm »

The owner's net worth doesn't matter. What matters is whether the team pulls in enough revenue to support a big payroll. Why would an owner want to pour money down the drain just because he's wealthy?

I would say the owners net worth definitely would have something to do with it. There are teams in the league that do not generate revenue, so there are quite a few owners that are "pouring money down the drain". How would you suggest a team that does not generate revenue support it's payroll...out of the owners pocket.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 03:01:11 pm »

Cap or no cap jones is will spare no expense at getting players he really wants........Bottom line!!!!!

Until you end up with $23 million in "dead money" on your cap.  Then you just flat-out suck for a year.
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 04:12:08 pm »

Here's an interesting note they brought up on NFL Radio yesterday-
The two teams who voted no are the lowest in revenue generating. Additionally, they are also the two teams who have named their stadiums for people in connection with the franchise as opposed to selling the naming rights.

Kansas City hasn't sold naming rights and Miami hasn't sold the naming rights. In theory they had it sold, and the owner of the naming rights went belly up.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 04:22:20 pm by Philly Fin Fan » Logged

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 04:15:13 pm »

I have been laughing at this line all morning!  Philly, you made my day.  OMG, that is hilarious!

Thanks. I thought it was funny as well. I actually was cracking up as I typed it. (Maybe I will finally make it to the "famous quotes" thread!)

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 04:27:00 pm »

Thanks. I thought it was funny as well. I actually was cracking up as I typed it. (Maybe I will finally make it to the "famous quotes" thread!)

That definitely qualifies as a famous quote from you.  Trouble is, rather than take the time to delete all the Carnage-Denver bickering posts, some lazy mod decided to lock the thread. 
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 12:07:48 am »

That definitely qualifies as a famous quote from you.  Trouble is, rather than take the time to delete all the Carnage-Denver bickering posts, some lazy mod decided to lock the thread. 
I locked the thread, and rightfully so.  Its not my job to clean up after you children.  Get your boys to stop bickering like 3rd graders in every single thread and we won't have to lock them anymore.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 07:28:21 pm »

This is embarrassing to the Buffalo Bills organization.  If you don't know what the hell is going on, send a representative who's not a moron.
I disagree. He's being honest, unlike the other schmucks in there. The proposal was cooked up at the last minute (partly as an amalgam of previous proposals) and the owners got 45 minutes to read it, consider all the ramifications and then vote on it. Forty-five minutes! For such a complex document, that's not nearly enough time for someone to realistically be able to REALLY understand it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray