Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 11:57:03 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  You're the Free Agent- QB Drew Brees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: You're the Free Agent- QB Drew Brees  (Read 6901 times)
DolFan619
« on: March 11, 2006, 10:13:17 am »

Much like the you're the GM roles, nuff said there.  Anyways, you top tier, two time Pro Bowl Quarterback Drew Brees.  You're hitting the free agent market for the first time in your career.  You put up good numbers in beautiful, and sunny San Diego.  However, that wasn't enough for them to resign you to a long term deal.  Oh, and there that little issue with your throwing shoulder.  Your doctor, Dr. James Andrews says you're rehab is ahead of schedule and you will be playing at a high level again well before the start of training camp.

This weekend you'll be courted by the New Orleans Saints, who last year were ravaged by Hurricane Katrina.  Even before Katrina, New Orleans was known as a dirty, murky, and rather dingy city.  New Orleans has Bourbon Street but, not the nice weather and beautiful beaches you had in San Diego.  New Orleans will probably ask some questions about your shoulder, but it really doesn't matter to them because they need star power to increase ticket sales for home games.  The Saints right now are probably several seasons away from the playoffs, and when they do get to the playoffs you may be getting on the downside of your career.  However, you like what they say and believe that they are commmitted to winning.  Then they proceed to offer you a very lucrative and attractive deal.  Do you sign......

OR

Do you holdoff on your contract offer with the Saints to take a visit down to Davie, Florida and visit with the Miami Dolphins.  Much like San Diego, Miami is beautiful, bustling, and ripe with things to do.  You know that Miami has a strong since of history and pride in itself.  However, you also notice that Miami is a team in transition itself.  However, they're transition seems to be on the upswing of things.  They have a fiery and passionate head coach in Nick Saban who took a 4-12 team in 2004 and turned them into winners by going 9-7 the season after it.  What's even more remarkable is that they won six games in a row, and as matter of fact they beat you're old club at home to do it?  They also making significant upgrades to the stadium and team's practice facilities.

Plus, you know the line will be steady because you've got line coach Hudson Houck.  The man that developed your line during your first Pro Bowl year in San Diego.  Wide Receivers?  No problem.  You've got Pro Bowler Chris Chambers a man who can make some over the top catches at times, and veteran Marty Booker as your second guy.  By the way, there's this little guy by the name of Wes Welker who's a pretty good third receiver option.  Running backs, all you have to do is ask one simple question....  "What can Brown do for you?"  That's right, Ronnie Brown!  He can do it all, he can bowl over defenders and he catch balls like a receiver.  He may not be LaDanian Tomilison, but then again who else is?

Of course, you also have the prospect of the very talented, but very aloof Ricky Williams in your backfield as well.  Pending on how his appeals process goes. 

TE you might be wondering about?  No Antonio Gates, no problem.  Miami's got a Pro Bowl caliber TE in Randy McMichael.  McMichael has signed a new long-term deal so you won't have to worry about you're TE being suspended at the beginning of the season.  Now Miami, may not have the cap space as a New Orleans, so you may not get a very large deal upfront like you hoped for.  However, this team is gearing up for a playoff run perhaps a Super Bowl run in the next season or two.

So, if you're Drew Brees what do you do?  Do you take a long-term lucrative, big money contract in New Orleans?  Or do you got Miami, for less money but with a greater possibility of winning it all?

Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 10:32:03 am »

I like this. But of course you list it from a Dolphins perspective (I would've also). To play devil's advocate-
1. New orleans was on the rise in seasons prior to last year. They were considered a possible wild card team prior to the season. They could easily say the poor season was due to the team playing away from home.

2. New Orleans has a pretty good running back as well. A guy named Deuce McAllister, who many people consider a top 10 back in the league.

3. New orleans also has some good receivers. Joe Horn is usually a top 5 receiver, and Donte Stallworth is a good young talent.

4. New Orleans has TONS of money under the cap. I think they were like 30 Million UNDER prior to releasing Brooks. So they can pursue lots of other free agents to build that team up fairly quick. Which is what they will want to do in order to get revenue back which they lost.

5. New Orleans has the number 2 pick in the draft. If they sign Brees, they can trade down for multiple picks in order to add lots of talent around Brees. I'm sure they will point this out to him as well.

6. New Orleans has a new coach- Sean Payton. Payton was considered a good offensive coach, and he can tell Brees he will cater the offense around him.

Again, I'm just playing devil's advocate and putting the shoe on the other foot.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 10:37:28 am »

Great thread, 619.

If I'm Brees, I go to the Fins.  I think that there's better long term stability in terms of location, front office, coaching, offensive protection, and weaponry.

Even if the Saints can offer me more money, going there would be short-sighted.  I run a higher risk of getting knocked out of the league early and since Miami is a bigger market, I'll be able to market myself better, in terms of product endorsement.

I go with Miami.

I drink your milkshake!
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 10:44:59 am »

If I'm any free agent QB, I avoid New Orleans like the plague.  They are a sinking ship.  McAlister is always getting hurt.  Joe Horn is always getting hurt.  Their defensie is like swiss cheese, which means I have to throw 50 times a game to stay competitive.

Miami, on the other hand, has the cash to burn, and will welcome me like the savior.  They have a run-first offense, and the weapons to do so, as well as a top-third defense.

As a free agent, I see Miami in a better position to get me my ring sooner than New Orleans.  Not to mention that I'd much rather live with palm trees and babes in bikinis than train in San Antonio and play all my games on the road.

(I know they say the Superdome will be ready, but I'll believe that when I see it...)
gocowboys31
Uber Member

F$U sucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 10:52:19 am »

Good thread................ Bress cant lose either way. As PHILLY pointed out the saints have some weapons on offense. IMO they've always needed consistent QB play to get them over the top, not just flashes here and their from aaron brooks.

If he leaves new orleans without a deal, then i think its Miami is in relatively good shape. But i think the saints will throw on the full court press today, along with a boatload of cash.

I just dont understand why miami let him visit the saints first. I guess wayne didnt have the jet fueled up fast enough.

Some teams play for the BCS title, some teams play in the Emerald bowl.  Urban Meyer
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 11:25:38 am »

I just dont understand why miami let him visit the saints first. I guess wayne didnt have the jet fueled up fast enough.

Not so fast....

Dolphins, Brees meet early in Birmingham

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 11 2006, 10:58 AM EST

The Dolphins couldn't wait for San Diego quarterback Drew Brees to come to them on a free-agent visit.

A source said Dolphins coach Nick Saban and General Manager Randy Mueller traveled to Birmingham, Ala. on Saturday morning to meet with Brees, who was scheduled to travel today to New Orleans. A private charter airplane registered to Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga arrived in Birmingham from Fort Lauderdale this morning.

Although he was scheduled to meet with the Dolphins on Sunday, it's believed Saban and Mueller were concerned that he might cancel the trip and sign with New Orleans after meeting with Saints officials.

A Dolphins spokesman wasn't immediately available for comment.

Brees is considered the top quarterback available on the free-agent market, although there is the possibility he could miss part or all of the 2006 season while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

Brees is doing part of his rehabilitation in Birmingham, which is where he underwent the surgery in early January.

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 11:35:01 am »

Done deal!  Once Drew meets with Nick today, Brees won't want to play for anyone else.

Drew Brees in a Miami uniform...this should be interesting! 

(I know, I know...you may think I'm getting well ahead of myself. I really don't think I am at all)  Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 11:49:58 am »

1. New orleans was on the rise in seasons prior to last year. They were considered a possible wild card team prior to the season. They could easily say the poor season was due to the team playing away from home.
The Saints were the very definition of MEDIOCRE. For the 4 seasons prior to 2005, they finished within a game of 8-8. They had done absolutely nothing to improve their position, so I honestly don't understand how anyone could have considered them "on the rise". Their quarterback was certainly past his prime.
bsfins
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 12:01:01 pm »

I'm going to add to what Philly said....(And try not to repeat what he said...)

IF I'm Drew Brees,I start tap dancing,trying to bury the "Worst Case Scenrio" comment that I made last week...

For me to even consider New Orleans,I would want Written in my contract,that they don't draft a QB in this year's draft...I just dealt with this situation in San Diego.
 ....Push...

New Orleans plays in a Tough division,that New Orleans is the Easy win...All the rest of the teams in the divison are fighting for play off runs pretty much on a yearly basis...
...Strike....

(The flipside) The Dolphins draft position  being at 16,is in less of a position to grab one of the top Qb's in the draft.
...Positive....

The Dolphins have a few people that I've associated with back in San Diego Coach Houck,Cleo Lemon, and Wes Welker.
....Positive....

Nick Saban is trying to build a Long term success,but Win now...New Orleans has a Brand New coaching staff.
..Strike Against New Orleans....First time Head coach,has to prove himself...I have to be " The Man" Immediately.

Option 3 & 4....(devil's advocate)
The Jets....I can't even role play Him going to the jets...I'm geting sick to my Stomach...

Detroit....
Positives
Well,Let's see they have a RB,They have a Plethra of Wr's...And are pretty good cap situation...Joey Harrington,on the Outs,They just Signed Shaun King as a back up.They Play in a division that is a mess right now,The Vikings have the Money,and might try to buy a team through free Agency,Packers Have issues all over he place,The Bears are Up and Comers.They hired Some Crazy assas O-Coordinator who wants to throw the hell out of the ball...Mike Martz.

Negatives...
Mike Martz...
Need some help on the O-line
Defense is leaky
Rod Marinelli New Head coach is a Defensive coach...

dolfan13
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 12:07:04 pm »

nick is covering all the bases... there is probably an offer on the table for daunte, and instead of sitting back and seeing how that unfolds, he jumps brees' visit with the aints to talk bizness. at worst, it lights some fire under the vikings ass to move on the offer. at best nick does such a good sales job, and convinces brees to pass on that turd of a franchise to sign with the fins.

brees is playing it smart though, but nick isn't a freaking dumbass. this isn't schlepman and company... is he really serious that we are going to get in a bidding war with the saints. $10+ million upfront, puh leeese. if you want that badly to play for that train wreck, then go right ahead my friend. we'll be okay with headbutt, and a young guy we draft. its not like we are going to do something that stupid (like say give away a 2nd rd pick for aj feelme).

initially i thought that brees was going to be just fine next year and the injury was nothing to get concerned about. my feeling now is that the dolphins prefer culpepper over brees. daunte is the better athlete, bigger, stronger, and can still be an effective nfl quarterback even if his mobility is not the same (he has the better tools). On the other hand, brees lack of arm strength coupled with a tear in the shoulder, doesn't invoke a great sense of confidence that he will return to form. it kinda mirrors what has happened with pennington.
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 01:26:51 pm »

I'm intrigued to find out why the Vikings, in need of a QB and with far more cap room than us to burn aren't mentioned?

I Mean ok, its cold and inhospitable up there but still, they must be worth a look.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 03:18:43 pm »

Not so fast....

Dolphins, Brees meet early in Birmingham

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted March 11 2006, 10:58 AM EST

The Dolphins couldn't wait for San Diego quarterback Drew Brees to come to them on a free-agent visit.

A source said Dolphins coach Nick Saban and General Manager Randy Mueller traveled to Birmingham, Ala. on Saturday morning to meet with Brees, who was scheduled to travel today to New Orleans. A private charter airplane registered to Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga arrived in Birmingham from Fort Lauderdale this morning.

Although he was scheduled to meet with the Dolphins on Sunday, it's believed Saban and Mueller were concerned that he might cancel the trip and sign with New Orleans after meeting with Saints officials.

A Dolphins spokesman wasn't immediately available for comment.

Brees is considered the top quarterback available on the free-agent market, although there is the possibility he could miss part or all of the 2006 season while recovering from offseason shoulder surgery.

Brees is doing part of his rehabilitation in Birmingham, which is where he underwent the surgery in early January.

Does anyone on this forum think that Wanny and Spielman would have done this?
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 03:25:08 pm »

The Saints were the very definition of MEDIOCRE. For the 4 seasons prior to 2005, they finished within a game of 8-8. They had done absolutely nothing to improve their position, so I honestly don't understand how anyone could have considered them "on the rise". Their quarterback was certainly past his prime.

Not by me, by NFL people. In 2004, they finished the season with 4 wins, after starting kind of slow, to finish 8-8. That year Brooks was within 20 yds of his career high (he threw for 3810, career high was 3832) and he threw 21 TD's. He also rushed for a career high 4 TD's.  Lots of NFL analysts felt the Saints had finally gotten their shit together and were going to be a wild card team before the whole Katrina/home away from home games fiasco.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 03:47:56 pm »

In 2004, they finished the season with 4 wins, after starting kind of slow, to finish 8-8.

This "strong finish" often doesn't hold water, in my opinion. I realize that people are using it for us this year, but unless there was a major change in the team (such as a new HC, OC, DC and QB - for example), I really wouldn't put a lot of faith in the strong finish theory. (Not that I'm implying that you do, just venting against something we hear all the time).
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 07:55:31 pm »

i think the best part about Saban and Mueller flying to Alabama was that it showed Brees how much they want him. It may have been necessary since New Orleans is putting the full court press on, but remember- Brees felt under appreciated in San Diego. Maybe this will show him how valuable he will be to the Dolphins franchise.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray