Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 01:33:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Culpepper is a Dolphin.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Culpepper is a Dolphin.  (Read 27430 times)
NYFan204

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2006, 06:49:06 pm »

I would have prefered Brees, but, after seeing what happened to Pennington with a similar injury, it may work out for the best. With the knee injury, Dante may be less inclined to run, but for a QB, that is not a bad thing. I think the knee injury is far worse for a RB than a QB.
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2006, 07:29:30 pm »

You don't think a 2nd rounder for AJ Feeley is ballsy?

More like moronic.  But hey, what can you expect from a guy like Rick Spielman??
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2006, 07:44:36 pm »

Just heard the good news!!!!!   Damnit,  I got on here late, but I see I'm in the minority here so let me just say this:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS SSSSSSSS!!!!!

We have ourselves a damn QB,  finally!  Frerotte or Culpepper?  Gee lemme think.    ::)   
No one says this guy is the next Marino,  but he sure is a hell of an upgrade to what we have now,  God!  Everyone knew there were no QB's that were going to be available in the draft for us,  and Brees was thinking more $$$ than anything else.  What other QB's were left?  Backup free agents of the NFL?  No thank you,  we've shuffled through backups ever since Dan,  it's about time we get someone who has proven himself as a starter. 

Hey Daunte!!!   

Hey John,  it's you and me vs. everyone else here! 

Count me on your side.

DAUNTE DAUNTE!!!!
HE'S OUR MAN!!!!
THE FIRST REAL QB!!!!
WE'VE HAD SINCE DAN!!!!!
JMoney13

JMoney134u
Email
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2006, 07:48:25 pm »

I would have loved to get Brees too, but you can't look a gift horse in the mouth, and I think the trade we pulled off today will pay big dividends for the next half decade.

2005 TDMMC Fantasy Baseball Champion
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:29 pm »

Count me on your side.

DAUNTE DAUNTE!!!!
HE'S OUR MAN!!!!
THE FIRST REAL QB!!!!
WE'VE HAD SINCE DAN!!!!!

Please stop making LAME cheers!

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
Philly Fin Fan
Uber Member

philly_fin_fan PhillyDolFan
Email
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2006, 08:55:41 pm »

Sorry I wasn't around today, but I did hear the news this afternoon.
I wanted Brees over Culpepper, but I'm glad we have him now.
Here's my take:
Apparently we had doctors checking out Drew all day yesterday. According to reports, it was after those "inspections" that Saban decided to trade for Culpepper. This tells me that the doctors really didn't feel comfortable with the way Brees was healing. Saban held his line on the Brees offer, although Brees wanted more money. Saban opted to go with Culpepper, so I have the faith in his judgement. According to ESPN, within minutes of us making the Culpepper deal, Condon called New Orleans and accepted their offer for Brees. This tells me Brees was worried that Saban might mention in the press release that he was concerned about Brees' shoulder. Brees jumped on the New Orleans offer before they heard this and pulled back their offer. Brees had said in a few interviews that he preferred Miami. If thats the case, why didn't he jump at our offer?

Now, back to Culpepper. Yes, he had a bad year without Linehan and Moss last year. But think of it like this. If he had a "great" year without them in 2005, do you think he would've been available for such a low price? And a 2nd round pick for an established Pro-Bowl QB is a low price. Secondly, although Linehan is not here, we are still running his offense. You know, the offensive system that was built around Culpepper. The same one that made Guss Frerotte look halfway good last year. I think Culpepper will step right in and play well. As for not having Moss, well, Moss didn't do too well without Culpepper, so maybe they both needed each other, not one needed the other more. To answer that, all I have to say is look at OUR #84. I've always been a huge Chambers' fan, and he looked pretty good with Frerotte throwing to him, so why wouldn't he look great with Culpepper throwing to him?

So heres what Culpepper has to do. He needs to hire an agent. ASAP. He needs to stop thinking he can handkle the contract stuff himself, hitre an agent and worry about the on the field stuff. Let the agent worry about the money and the other issues.

I am pretty cool with this acquisition and look forward to him playing for us. I'm on board with Culpepper!

[attachment deleted by admin]

"Lo and behold, the National League East belongs to one team and one city, and that's the City of Brotherly Love, baby," Jimmy Rollins
The_Phinatic

WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2006, 12:46:18 am »

I'm really surprised by some of the stuff I just read in this thread.  For starters, Culpepper is far superior to little 6'0" Brees.  His Pro Bowl days are over without Gates and LT and the Chargers system.  What a boneheaded decision to go to NFL hell.

Culpepper has only been playing in the NFL since 2000 and has been in 3 Pro Bowls already.  I can't name one RB he has had either.  Credit Randy Moss if you like, but I think that's a cheap cop out for people who don't like him for whatever reason.  Culpepper threw for 4700+ yards in 2004 and close to 4000 of those were NOT to Moss.  The kid has game, no doubt.  He is a great QB on his way to being an elite QB if he can stay healthy. 

This is the biggest signing since Dan Marino was drafted.  Bigger than Ricky what's his name even.  How any Dolphins fan can not get what just happened is beyond me.  The only explaination I can come up with is that they hibernated during the Jay, AJ, and Gus years. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34:29 am »

DAMNIT!

Culpepper's injury is much worse than Brees'. Even Culpepper's own doctor says it'll be September before he even has a chance of playing.

The problem is that Culpepper blew his ACL, MCL and meniscus. This is bad, really bad. Culpepper will probably be 100% by the start of the season, the 2007 season, that is, providing he doesn't hit any setbacks.
Brees' injury is far more dangerous than Culpepper's.  If Culpepper doesn't recover well, he'll be almost completely immobile (read: Marino, Bledsoe); a significant drawback, but still potentially viable.  If Brees doesn't recover, he's following in Pennington's footsteps... immediate and early retirement.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2006, 08:15:24 am »

Brees' injury is far more dangerous than Culpepper's.  If Culpepper doesn't recover well, he'll be almost completely immobile (read: Marino, Bledsoe); a significant drawback, but still potentially viable.  If Brees doesn't recover, he's following in Pennington's footsteps... immediate and early retirement.
Worst case may be worse for Brees, but at some point, what's the difference? The problem is that the best case is much worse for Culpepper.

That said, I'm beginning to wonder if Culpepper's knee injury isn't a blessing in disguise. It just might stop him from attempting bone-head runs and cut off the top of his fumblelitis.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2006, 08:47:48 am »

Worst case may be worse for Brees, but at some point, what's the difference? The problem is that the best case is much worse for Culpepper.
Uhh, what?  Surely you aren't arguing that Brees has more talent/potential than Culpepper?

Look at their best years so far (both in 2004)...

Brees:
262cmp/400att
65.5% cmp. pct.
3159 yds
7.9 ypa
27 TD
7 INT

Culpepper:
379cmp/548att
69.2 cmp. pct.
4717 yds
8.6  ypa
39 TD
11 INT

Brees had a good year.  Culpepper had an amazing one.

If we're looking at potential downside, Brees is worse.  If we're looking at potential upside, Culpepper is better.  I can definitely understand Saban's decision making process on this.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2006, 10:10:22 am »

What in the hell does this mean? Best case scenario is Culpepper heals and goes on to be an all-pro leading the Dolphins. How is that bad?
MoDolfan

Yea...

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2006, 11:31:22 am »

What a score! And all for a 2nd rounder...

I think the general consensus is clear: It doesn't matter if you wanted Brees or Culpepper....we got Pepper and the team will be better because of it.

On a side note, I think it's great the way that Nick saw exactly where the holes were in this team and has gone right to work on patching them up. I can't wait to see what he does with the draft picks we have.
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2006, 11:31:57 am »

Why all this hate for Culpepper? This in the end my friends, was the best choice for MIA. The Saints plopped $60 mil with $10 mil up front & another $12 option in his 2nd year for a guy with a serious injury that directly affects his throwing. I don't care how good you are, serious shoulder injury affects even the best of them - it even affected Dan Marino in his last season. As for the disses regarding not having Moss or Linehan, I'm pretty sure having the luxury of handing the rock over to the best RB in the game today had a lot to do with Brees success. Saban has already gone on record to say that the offense will basically remain the same as when Scott was here, so Mularkey isn't expected to reinvent the wheel. Thumbs up for this move.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2006, 12:22:57 pm »

Two years ago people would have given up half our team for him. Now we complain because he is horrible or overated in some's opinion.  Roll Eyes  Personally I feel we got a steal as well as a great player.  I have to wonder if Saban't interest in Brees was a ploy to drive down Minnesota's price? A second rounder is quite a great deal for any starter!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Predatory_Fins
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2006, 12:24:31 pm »

Two years ago people would have given up half our team for him. Now we complain because he is horrible or overated in some's opinion.  Roll Eyes  Personally I feel we got a steal as well as a great player.  I have to wonder if Saban't interest in Brees was a ploy to drive down Minnesota's price? A second rounder is quite a great deal for any starter!

its a CF siting, enjoying the offseason?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray