Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2024, 05:57:43 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Mario Williams #1
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Mario Williams #1  (Read 7289 times)
TEKGOD
Uber Member

It's all about the U

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2006, 11:32:11 am »

I can understand the move down comments, but consider this. To move down, someone has to be willing to move up. The #1 spot is expensive, I doubt they had too many serious suitors.

Also think about this, Houston plays in the same division as the Colts. They are not going to outgun the Colts, so in order to be competitive in the division (the first step at making playoff runs) you had better try to stop the Colts. Taking defense makes a lot of sense if you think about it that way.

That theory makes sense - but this is Reggie Bush we're talking about here. Almost every scout says he is a gamebreaker, transcendent of all positions, & the type of offensive weapon that only comes around once a generation. He was as surefire as you could get. Mario Williams, as great as he is, is not that kind of player. Kubiak made the reach of all reaches & already is on the hot seat before he ever hit the sideline.
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2006, 11:49:14 am »

uh-oh Dolphins fans, looks like Jets are on the phone right now with the Saints...

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2006, 11:57:48 am »

I can understand the move down comments, but consider this. To move down, someone has to be willing to move up. The #1 spot is expensive, I doubt they had too many serious suitors.

Also think about this, Houston plays in the same division as the Colts. They are not going to outgun the Colts, so in order to be competitive in the division (the first step at making playoff runs) you had better try to stop the Colts. Taking defense makes a lot of sense if you think about it that way.

I can dig the cheese on your burgers there, Phishmeister, but when you say that moving up is expensive, I contend that it is only as expensive as the Texans make it. The expensive tag is based on that draft slot value guide, and while it is used heavily by NFL personnel guys to assess trades, it isn't a bylaw that needs to be followed. You cannot tell me that if Houston had told #3 Tennessee or #4 New York that the cost to move up to #1 wasn't "all that," but merely an extra 2nd/3rd this year or 2nd this year and 2nd next year...one of those two teams would have moved on that deal so fast they'd hyperextend their trigger finger.

I think Mario is an excellent player for Houston to bring in for their division...no argument at all. I just think they could have gotten Mario plus a couple more young talented rookies to fill other need areas. Last time I checked, Houston wasn't "one star pass rusher" away from contending for a title.

Just my opinion anyway...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
YoFuggedaboutit
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2006, 06:08:15 pm »

This would've looked like the coup of the year, had Houston taken LenDale White with the first pick of the second round.  As it is, they seem to want to shore up on defense.  When Carr gets sacked 77 times again in 2006, Kubiak's gonna be kicking himself. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray